Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
KDE Plasma cannot unlock screen after is being locked.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Athenacle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: KDE Plasma cannot unlock screen after is being locked. Reply with quote

I installed kde-plasma/plasma-meta-5.12.5 suit.

The desktop locked automatically after several minutes, but when I try to unlock screen with my password, it told me "INVALID PASSWORD".
I am sure the password is correct after some tries. The only thing I can do after that is pressing Alt+Ctrl+F<> to switch to another tty, log in with the same password and then reboot the system.

Is anyone else met the same problem? Or have any advice?
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You tried to insert password with Virtual Keyboard (you find at bottom left corner)?
If work the problem is keyboard layout
Athenacle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
You tried to insert password with Virtual Keyboard (you find at bottom left corner)?
If work the problem is keyboard layout

Of curse I did it, but it does not work. In fact, there is an eye on the right side of the password input area, I click it and could see my correct password in it.
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother had the same problem on his sabayon system, I fixed it by changing permission on /sbin/unix_chkpwd as suggested here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=375536
Strange thing is: on my system I have 0711 on that file and it works fine, but on my brothers laptop it only works with 4711.
This other post I found suggest 'chgrp shadow /etc/shadow' which might work too, I haven't tried that: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase-workspace/+bug/434276
GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are bogus workarounds. You need to make sure that consolekit or elogind are properly configured, dbus service is started, your Plasma startup command (if you do it manually, startkde is not enough) creates a valid session. And then, Qt/Frameworks/Plasma upgrades can break your running session, but only until it is restarted, so there's that.

Basically, what the Gentoo KDE Wiki Prerequisites say.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewAmmerlaan wrote:
My brother had the same problem on his sabayon system, I fixed it by changing permission on /sbin/unix_chkpwd as suggested here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=375536
Strange thing is: on my system I have 0711 on that file and it works fine, but on my brothers laptop it only works with 4711.
This other post I found suggest 'chgrp shadow /etc/shadow' which might work too, I haven't tried that: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase-workspace/+bug/434276
The correct permissions for /etc/shadow are root:root mode 600. The correct permissions for /sbin/unix_chkpwd depend on whether it was installed with USE=filecaps. If it was so installed, then the permissions should be 711 and the file capabilities should grant it cap_dac_override so that it can read shadow despite the permissions. If it was installed with USE=-filecaps, then the permissions should be 4711 since it will need setuid to get cap_dac_override. This likely explains the discrepancy between your system and your brother's system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: