firefox-60.x still unstable?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

Location: Somewhere between reality and Middle-Earth and in Freiburg (Germany)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: firefox-60.x still unstable? Reply with quote

Hi

yesterday I've done an update of my system (eix-sync + -uvDN world) and my firefox (www-client/firefox-52.8.0) got updated.

I restarted firefox to test the new version and I was pleased to see that the UI is faster, but I had quite a few crashes.

Almost every time I closed a tab with a youtube video (ctrl+w or using mouse gestures with smartUp plugin) the browser crashes. I've mostly seen this with youtube pages, but not exclusively, closing another tab will sometimes lead to a crash. Sadly I don't have any logs of this, I started ff from a terminal and accidentally closed the terminal before I was able to copy & paste the error messages on stderr.

Also the video playback was awful while other packages were still being compiled, frames freezed for many seconds while audio kept running, this is definitively something new, because with ff-52.x this doesn't happen: doing an world update might slow down the scrolling of the page, but video playback is still OK. I checked with google chrome and it does not show the same behaviour, so I think the problem is with firefox and not with any dependency.

I ended up doing a downgrade of firefox to www-client/firefox-52.9.0 and the problems are gone.

Does anybody else have these experiences as well? And if so, were you able to fix it and how?

Thanks
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some futzing, my firefox-60.2 installs seem to work okay, at least I'm using it now for f.g.o... the build process was the worst part, as well as the fact that extensions may have compatibility problems.
roki942
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've found on the YT crashes is that it will happen if the video is playing . When I stop the video the tab closes.
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

the build process was the worst part, as well as the fact that extensions may have compatibility problems.

it wasn't that bad for me, but I had previously trouble compiling cargo. I didn't realize that sys-libs/binutils-libs has to have multitarget in the USE flags. cargo was not able to compile because of that. Some of my favorite extensions were disabled and I had to search for alternatives, that sucks for sure. Lucky me, I was able to replace all my extensions.

Quote:

What I've found on the YT crashes is that it will happen if the video is playing . When I stop the video the tab closes.

That may be true, I tend to close the tabs one or two seconds before the video stops playing. The crashes happend at that time but only when the video is a few minutes long. If a start a new video in a new tab and 5 seconds later I close it, FF didn't crash, regardless how many times I've tried. But sadly sometimes FF crash when closing other tabs (like a google search or the mozila plugin site). The thing is that I cannot reproduce it with 100% accuracy, sometimes I tried to let FF crash but it didn't. I'll try tomorrow to rebuild the new version and try to log stdout/stderr when it crashes. Perhaps I see something I missed. Now I'm going to bed.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
nmel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. After update from v52 Firefox often crashes in case there are pages with video streaming.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two "stable" 60.2 machines I'm using were recently world updated, one is ati(radeon) and other is intel(915) though the latter is actually using firefox-bin 62. Trying the binary is worth it as a comparison.

I haven't fully tested another intel(hd4000) and intel(965) machines that were recently updated but they seem okay so far.

I am not using many extensions, though pointing to youtube seems okay. Haven't had a crash yet...
tholin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The close youtube video crash is talked about in this thread with a shitty workaround near the end.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1081634-highlight-.html
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, my machines are all using either pulseaudio or apulse, this may be why I'm not seeing issues... I have not done much testing with video on the 915 machine since it's naturally slow (1.5GHz Celeron and needs apulse) so no idea there, but it did play some audio fine...
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
The two "stable" 60.2 machines I'm using were recently world updated, one is ati(radeon) and other is intel(915) though the latter is actually using firefox-bin 62. Trying the binary is worth it as a comparison.

I'm running an ALSA only system, no pulseaudio, no apulse, so using the upstream compiled version is not an option for me. :(
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pablo_supertux wrote:
I'm running an ALSA only system, no pulseaudio, no apulse, so using the upstream compiled version is not an option for me. :(

Ah... so that's the difference.
So it looks like the expected native ALSA bitrot commences due to the phaseout, and unless you or some forker understand ALSA and the Firefox architecture, it will get harder and harder to fix (without using the workaround of disabling multiprocessing.)

Would be nice if someone could check in fixes but I think that multiprocess thing was the main reason for dropping direct ALSA support.
pablo_supertux
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Ah... so that's the difference.
So it looks like the expected native ALSA bitrot commences due to the phaseout, and unless you or some forker understand ALSA and the Firefox architecture, it will get harder and harder to fix (without using the workaround of disabling multiprocessing.)

If firefox doesn't support ALSA but pulseaudio only, then FF is dead to me, at least on my pulseaudio free installations.

I installed apulse again, and even thought in other thread tholin says that FF with apulse is not working well, the upstream version of FF worked just fine for me, so this could be an alternative.

Right now I'm testing the gentoo 62.0 version and haven't had a single crash for hours.
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was unfortunate, the i915/celeron machine also doesn't have pulsaudio installed and didn't particularly want to install PA on that machine, but the 62 binary version in portage did pick up apulse and seemed to work fine for me as well. Just costs CPU cycles.

Incidentally I could not get 60.2 to build on that machine, but I think it was due to distcc unfriendliness. That's a pity because that machine is a single core celeron which needs all the help it can get.

My other machines are PA enabled and I was recently able to get FF60.2 built and run just fine. Two of which are systemd, other is openrc.
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Would be nice if someone could check in fixes but I think that multiprocess thing was the main reason for dropping direct ALSA support.

You can enable multiprocess in firefox-52.9.0 which is what I have done. It's working, though I can't really say that I see a vast difference or less memory use. I only have alsa, and I don't seem have any issues.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephg wrote:
eccerr0r wrote:

You can enable multiprocess in firefox-52.9.0 which is what I have done. It's working, though I can't really say that I see a vast difference or less memory use. I only have alsa, and I don't seem have any issues.

52.x works, but 60.x and other quantum versions are a different story...
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
josephg wrote:
eccerr0r wrote:

52.x works, but 60.x and other quantum versions are a different story...

Probably the reason 52.x is still in the tree. Personally I'm not enamored with the quantum versions.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much longer 52.x will be in the tree, it's not going to be supported by Mozilla for much longer if anymore, as well as the fact 60.x is the new ESR (and now marked stable by the Gentoo devs...)

Last edited by eccerr0r on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what local is for
Code:
[--O] [  ] www-client/firefox-38.8.0:0
[I-O] [  ] www-client/firefox-45.6.0:0
[--O] [M ] www-client/firefox-52.6.0:0
[--O] [M ] www-client/firefox-52.8.0:0
[--O] [M~] www-client/firefox-52.9.0:0

Though nowadays I mostly use palemoon.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: