Minimal system (and harddrive space) requirements for gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JechiD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Minimal system (and harddrive space) requirements for gentoo Reply with quote

Hello,

I am installing Gentoo onto my old Toshiba 460CDX computer. The computer is equipped with 96MB of RAM and a 2GB harddrive. Currently it has win95 installed. I have also installed partition magic on the machine (for which i have a win95 version).

I would like to have linux on about 1.5GB and the rest for win95. Is this possible?

Also, is it possible to "see" the linux filesystem when booting win95.

thank you

Daniel
ckdake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

due to the space that it takes to compile everything, I don't think you will have space. But if you use GRP and are diligent about deleting source code whenever you do updates you maay be able to fit it on 1.5GB. Do you want to use xfree86 or not?

Also, i don't think there is a way to see the linux filesystem when in win95, but you can see the win95 filesystem in linux.

Depending on what you want to do with linux, gentoo might not be the best distrobution for you to use. It does take up more file space than many of the distrobutions out there.
JechiD
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ckdake wrote:
due to the space that it takes to compile everything, I don't think you will have space. But if you use GRP and are diligent about deleting source code whenever you do updates you maay be able to fit it on 1.5GB. Do you want to use xfree86 or not?

Thank you for your prompt response.

If i were to use all of the 2GB for gentoo. Do you think that could fit? Would i need to delete source codes during the installation as well as during updates ?

Yes, i would like to use xfree86 (i assume that thats the graphical interface usually used with gentoo as opposed to a command line interface)

thanks

Daniel
ckdake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be much more likely to fit in the 2 GB i think. My server right now takes up around 1.6 GB with all the source code delted but when I do updates and get new kernels, it has taken up about 4GB before. So, if you can get it to install it is probably a good idea to use GRP so you don't have to compile everything to start. Then, update each package you want to update individually, deleting the source code after each one.

I haven't used GRP at all, but i think it just copies over binaries so you wouldn't need to delete source code during your install.

One other thing to keep in mind is that a 20 gig hard drive these days is 35$ and that 35$ might be worth it to let you keep windows and do gentoo without having to worry about space so much.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 gb is fine. You can't build kde, gnome, openoffice, or mozilla(not sure about this one), but kde and gnome will run godawful slow on tha com and oo and mozilla have binary ebuilds. Jusr rm -r /var/tmp/portage /usr/portage/distfiles when you run out of space.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: