Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
media-gfx/blender hasn't been updated in a while.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrjs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: media-gfx/blender hasn't been updated in a while. Reply with quote

This is more a question about how package maintenance works in the Gentoo portage environment and how it intersects with overlays.

I spend most of my time doing 3d graphics, and have been waiting for the media-gfx/blender package to update to 2.8 from 2.79-r1 for at least 2 months now. Until now I have been using a binary distribution from blender's own homepage instead of the 2.79 package, because 2.8 has a vastly different (updated) UI.
Although it has been working fine, I still would like to compile blender from source and have emerge do all the setup for me. So I found an overlay called 'cg' in the Gentoo overlay list. I added that overlay, unmasked python 3.7 (blender 2.8+ needs that) and installed blender just fine.

My question is: Why has media-gfx/blender in the official Gentoo repository not been updated for 2 months now? Is the maintainer inactive? Why has the 'cg' overlay not been merged into the main portage tree instead? At least just the 2.8 version, which I would say is pretty stable (current version is 2.82.1 now).

What happens if a maintainer is inactive? Can someone else take over? I'm not good enough at Linux/Gentoo in general yet to maintain anything (especially not something as complex as blender), but my hope is to some day become a developer/maintainer and help keep Gentoo fresh with new software updates.

After having installed the overlay which required me to unmask python 3.7 (unstable version), I suspect that might be why media-gfx/blender hasn't been updated to 2.8, now that I think about it.
wjb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's being looked at - media-gfx/blender-2.80 version bump. Blender has a lot of dependencies and they tend to go for the very latest of everything.

I seem to remember having to do crazy things to get 2.79 before it settled down as stable in portage.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appears to have gotten a new maintainer over a month ago, but yeah apparently holding off on merging things for various reasons (mostly the sanity of gentoo as a whole it seems, updating a lot of dependencies often mean other packages need to be reworked too).

Maintainer does seem to have been rather inactive since then though, I'm not sure if this is moving at all. Could always ask for a status update.
Chrjs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see. Still trying to find my way around Gentoo and the community.
But yeah, I can suspect blender isn't easy to maintain. Kudos to the smart people who maintain it.
Dragonlord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Blender 2.8 won't run on GenToo at all. I got 2.79 running with self-compiled python in the blender directory but 2.8 seems to be broken beyond repair:
Code:
./blender
Color management: using fallback mode for management
Color management: Error could not find role data role.
Color management: scene view "Filmic" not found, setting default "Standard".
/var/run/user/1000/gvfs/ non-existent directory
found bundled python: /opt/progs/blender-2.5/install/linux/2.82/python
Fatal Python error: initfsencoding: Unable to get the locale encoding
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'encodings'

Current thread 0x00007f4eef33cf00 (most recent call first):
Aborted

Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:14 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Dragonlord wrote:
Looks like Blender 2.8 won't run on GenToo at all. I got 2.79 running with self-compiled python in the blender directory but 2.8 seems to be broken beyond repair:
Code:
./blender

Aborted

That's the pre-compiled download from blender.org?

Versions 2.81 and 2.81a run without issues here. Perhaps try without any previous user config laying around for tests, if you haven't yet done so.
Dragonlord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Dragonlord wrote:
Code:
./blender

Aborted

That's the pre-compiled download from blender.org?

Versions 2.81 and 2.81a run without issues here. Perhaps try without any previous user config laying around for tests, if you haven't yet done so.

No, that's a local build from blende GIT 2.82 release tag using local build python 3.7 (since the one in Gentoo does not work with blender 2.82). After all Gentoo "build" packages not binary downloads them after all. So if local building does not work package is not stable.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, alrighty.

It has been quite a while since I last looked into compiling this myself, but it looks like we just might get an ebuild sometimesoon, or at least one can hope so. :]
Angrychile
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're going to have to wait a year or more huh
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angrychile wrote:
We're going to have to wait a year or more huh

The fact is Blender simply isn't important enough to anyone who uses it for any of them to actually bother submitting patches.

“Talk is cheap”, though that probably fell on deaf ears last time too.
bearcatsandor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are ebuilds for Blender 2.8.x in 2 repositories. One of them is in ArtSoftware and the other is in cg. Can't one of those be pulled into the main tree?
Hu

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are well-written and someone committed to maintaining them in the main tree shows an interest, yes.
Linubie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes an update would be nice, I bought an online course and it is also for 2.8 and the recent python update needs me to delete 2.7.
So I am stuck in the middle and can't update.

I tried the ArtSoftware overlay and an error message regarding python as well.

Code:
emerge blender -av

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds built with USE flags to satisfy "media-gfx/openvdb[python_single_target_python3_7(-)?,python_single_target_python3_8(-)?,-abi3-compat(-),abi4-compat(+)]".
!!! One of the following packages is required to complete your request:
- media-gfx/blender-9999::ArtSoftware (Change USE: -python_single_target_python3_7, this change violates use flag constraints defined by media-gfx/blender-9999: 'exactly-one-of ( python_single_target_python3_7 python_single_target_python3_8 ) cuda? ( cycles ) cycles? ( openexr tiff openimageio ) opencl? ( cycles ) osl? ( cycles llvm ) player? ( game-engine !headless )')
(dependency required by "media-gfx/blender-9999::ArtSoftware" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "blender" [argument])

wjb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the flatpak version of blender - it worked ok for a look, but no GPU support so not really practical.

The existing source ebuilds are a bit out of my league, plus I'm on stable which usually makes building recent blenders challenging.

Then there's the binary download from blender.org which is an archive (tar.xz), which unpacks to a single directory containing the blender installation. This worked and detected the GPU, so anyway, I'm hooked... and put together an ebuiid for the binary.

This ebuild doesn't unbundle any of the 3rd party packages that upstream include. I did spend time trying removing blender's bundled python 3.7 (who needs yet another python install?) but found blender then goes bang just after starting (can't find encodings module) so I left it in.

blender-bin-2.82a.ebuild
Code:
# Copyright 1999-2020 Gentoo Authors
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2

EAPI=7

inherit desktop xdg-utils

MY_PN="${PN/-bin}"
BASE_VERSION="${PV}"
if [[ $MY_PN =~ [a-z]$ ]]; then
        BASE_VERSION="${BASE_VERSION%?}"
fi

DESCRIPTION="3D Creation/Animation/Publishing System"
HOMEPAGE="https://www.blender.org"
SRC_URI="https://download.blender.org/release/Blender${BASE_VERSION}/blender-${PV}-linux64.tar.xz"
RESTRICT="mirror strip"

S="${WORKDIR}/blender-${PV}-linux64"

LICENSE="|| ( GPL-2 BL )"
SLOT="0"
KEYWORDS="~amd64"
IUSE=""

DEPEND="!media-gfx/blender"
RDEPEND="${DEPEND}
                 >=sys-libs/glibc-2.17"
BDEPEND=""

# This is a binary package and contains prebuilt executable and library
# files. We need to identify those to suppress the QA warnings during
# installation.
QA_PREBUILT="
        opt/blender/blender
        opt/blender/lib/*
        opt/blender/2.82/python/lib/python3.7/site-packages/numpy/*/*
"

OPTDIR="/opt/${MY_PN}"

src_prepare() {

sed -i -e "s:Exec=:Exec=${OPTDIR}/:g" blender.desktop
}

src_install() {
        dodir "${OPTDIR}"

cp -pRP ${S}/* "${ED}${OPTDIR}"

dodoc readme.html
        dodoc *.txt

doicon blender.svg
        domenu blender.desktop
}

pkg_postinst() {
        elog
        elog "Blender uses python integration. As such, may have some"
        elog "inherit risks with running unknown python scripts."
        elog
        elog "It is recommended to change your blender temp directory"
        elog "from /tmp to /home/user/tmp or another tmp file under your"
        elog "home directory. This can be done by starting blender, then"
        elog "dragging the main menu down do display all paths."
        elog
        ewarn
        ewarn "This ebuild does not unbundle the massive amount of 3rd party"
        ewarn "libraries which are shipped with blender. Note that"
        ewarn "these have caused security issues in the past."
        ewarn "If you are concerned about security, file a bug upstream:"
        ewarn "  https://developer.blender.org/"
        ewarn
        ewarn "This ebuild does not unbundle the python which ships with"
        ewarn "blender, or any of the python packages it includes."
        ewarn
        xdg_desktop_database_update
        xdg_icon_cache_update
}

This ebuild has been stitched together from media-gfx/blender (2.79b-r2), www-client/firefox-bin (various), assorted snippets from the gentoo ebuild guides, stack overflow for bits of bash, and several cans of beer.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linubie wrote:
and the recent python update needs me to delete 2.7.

That is not at all necessary.
Linubie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I updated the python dependencies and my system is up to date now.
While the update process I had some blockers and needed to uninstall some packages including blender.
Now I would like to install blender but all of the programs using Python seem to rely on Python 3.6.
Code:

emerge blender -av

[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/setuptools-44.1.0::gentoo  USE="-test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6* python3_7 (-pypy3) (-python3_8)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/certifi-2020.4.5.1::gentoo  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6* python3_7 (-pypy3) (-python3_8) (-python3_9)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/numpy-1.17.4-r3::gentoo  USE="-doc -lapack -test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_6* python3_7 (-python3_8)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/idna-2.8::gentoo  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6* python3_7 (-pypy3) (-python3_8)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/six-1.14.0::gentoo  USE="-doc -test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6* python3_7 (-pypy3) (-python3_8)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/chardet-3.0.4::gentoo  USE="-test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6* python3_7 (-pypy3) (-python3_8) (-python3_9)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/ply-3.11:0/3.11::gentoo  USE="-examples" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6* python3_7 (-pypy3) (-python3_8) (-python3_9)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/PySocks-1.7.1::gentoo  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6* python3_7 (-pypy3) (-python3_8) (-python3_9)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/pycparser-2.20::gentoo  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6* python3_7 (-pypy3) (-python3_8) (-python3_9)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/cffi-1.14.0-r1:0/1.14.0::gentoo  USE="-doc -test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6* python3_7 (-python3_8) (-python3_9)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/cryptography-2.8-r1::gentoo  USE="-idna -libressl -test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6* python3_7 (-pypy3) (-python3_8)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/pyopenssl-19.1.0::gentoo  USE="-doc -test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6* python3_7 (-pypy3) (-python3_8) (-python3_9)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/urllib3-1.25.8::gentoo  USE="-brotli -doc -test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6* python3_7 (-pypy3) (-python3_8)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/requests-2.23.0::gentoo  USE="ssl -socks5 -test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6* python3_7 (-pypy3) (-python3_8) (-python3_9)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-libs/boost-1.72.0-r1:0/1.72.0::gentoo  USE="bzip2 icu mpi nls python threads zlib -context -debug -doc -lzma (-numpy) -static-libs -tools -zstd" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6* python3_7 (-python3_8)" 0 KiB
[ebuild     U  ] media-libs/opensubdiv-3.3.3::gentoo [3.3.0::gentoo] USE="opencl openmp (-cuda*) -doc -ptex -tbb" 18.835 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] media-gfx/openvdb-4.0.2-r3::gentoo  USE="python -abi3-compat -doc -test" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] media-gfx/blender-2.79b-r2::gentoo  USE="bullet cycles dds elbeem ffmpeg fftw game-engine jack jpeg2k nls openal opencl openexr openimageio openmp opensubdiv openvdb sdl sndfile tiff -collada -color-management (-cuda) -debug -doc -headless -jemalloc -llvm -man -ndof -osl -player -test -valgrind" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6" 0 KiB

Total: 18 packages (1 upgrade, 2 new, 15 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 18.835 KiB

The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by media-gfx/blender-2.79b-r2::gentoo[python_single_target_python3_6]
# required by blender (argument)
>=dev-python/numpy-1.17.4-r3 python_targets_python3_6
# required by media-gfx/blender-2.79b-r2::gentoo[python_single_target_python3_6]
>=dev-python/requests-2.23.0 python_targets_python3_6
# required by media-gfx/openvdb-4.0.2-r3::gentoo[python,python_single_target_python3_6]
# required by media-gfx/blender-2.79b-r2::gentoo[openvdb]
>=dev-libs/boost-1.72.0-r1 python_targets_python3_6
# required by dev-python/requests-2.23.0::gentoo
>=dev-python/certifi-2020.4.5.1 python_targets_python3_6
>=dev-python/chardet-3.0.4 python_targets_python3_6
>=dev-python/idna-2.8 python_targets_python3_6
>=dev-python/urllib3-1.25.8 python_targets_python3_6
# required by dev-python/pyopenssl-19.1.0::gentoo
# required by dev-python/urllib3-1.25.8::gentoo
>=dev-python/cryptography-2.8-r1 python_targets_python3_6
>=dev-python/pyopenssl-19.1.0 python_targets_python3_6
>=dev-python/setuptools-44.1.0 python_targets_python3_6
# required by dev-python/pyopenssl-19.1.0::gentoo
>=dev-python/six-1.14.0 python_targets_python3_6
# required by dev-python/cryptography-2.8-r1::gentoo[python_targets_python3_7,python_targets_python3_6,python_targets_python2_7]
>=dev-python/cffi-1.14.0-r1 python_targets_python3_6
# required by dev-python/cffi-1.14.0-r1::gentoo
# required by dev-python/cryptography-2.8-r1::gentoo[python_targets_python3_7,python_targets_python3_6,python_targets_python2_7]
>=dev-python/pycparser-2.20 python_targets_python3_6
# required by dev-python/pycparser-2.20::gentoo
# required by dev-python/cffi-1.14.0-r1::gentoo
>=dev-python/ply-3.11 python_targets_python3_6
>=dev-python/PySocks-1.7.1 python_targets_python3_6

Would you like to add these changes to your config files? [Yes/No]

I guess I run into dependency problems setting the targets to 3.6 from which I moved on to 3.7 in the previous update process?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, portage output is correct. If you copy this to package.use, then python_targets_python3_6 will be added *in addition* to the dependencies needed by blender, it does not replace the py37 target needed by other packages.
Linubie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, worked like a charm! 8)
artbody
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8) the blender-8.x overlay from ArtSoftware works for me too

compiles without problems
in my case it solved all my python problems from the latest update
:wink:
Corbit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

artbody wrote:
8) the blender-8.x overlay from ArtSoftware works for me too

compiles without problems
in my case it solved all my python problems from the latest update
:wink:

blender-8.x from here https://gentoo.zugaina.org/Overlays/artsoftware/media-gfx/blender ? I can't find that specific overlay. Did you mean blender-2.8x?
So the move to python 3.7 is taken into account in the latest 9999 on artsoftware and no 3.6 gets pulled in again?

Do you consider it better to emerge latest blender versions from an overlay like artsoftware or cg instead of directly from blender.org with their instructions from here https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Building_Blender/Linux/Gentoo ?

Thanks
dystopic_utopia
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ArtSoftware ebuilds aren't working for me. Did anyone else who manage to emerge it have openvdb compiled in? I had to unmask media-gfx/openvdb-6.0.0-r4 from the cg overlay, since both versions in the main repo have PYTHON_COMPAT=( python3_6 ) set. Only then would portage even start compiling anything. From what I gather from the end of the build.log, the compilation seems to fail when trying to build against a function in openvdb.

emerge --info =media-gfx/blender-9999::ArtSoftware:
http://dpaste.com/1EK83Q6
The last 20 lines of the build.log:
http://dpaste.com/2K23QB0

And the output of emerge -pqv =media-gfx/blender-9999::ArtSoftware
Code:

[ebuild     U ] media-gfx/blender-9999 [2.79b-r2] USE="bullet cuda cycles dds doc elbeem ffmpeg game-engine jemalloc jpeg2k llvm man nls openal opencl openexr openimageio openmp openvdb player sdl tiff -collada -colorio% -debug -fftw -headless -jack (-libav) -ndof -opensubdiv -osl -sndfile -test -valgrind (-color-management%)" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_7%* -python3_8% (-python3_6%*)"

I will search for information about blender failing to compile with openvdb, next time I can get to it. In the mean time, any suggestions one might have would be appreciated.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dystopic_utopia wrote:
I had to unmask media-gfx/openvdb-6.0.0-r4 from the cg overlay, since both versions in the main repo have PYTHON_COMPAT=( python3_6 ) set. Only then would portage even start compiling anything. From what I gather from the end of the build.log, the compilation seems to fail when trying to build against a function in openvdb.

emerge --info =media-gfx/blender-9999::ArtSoftware:
http://dpaste.com/1EK83Q6
The last 20 lines of the build.log:
http://dpaste.com/2K23QB0
As far as I can tell, media-gfx/blender-9999 is needing OpenVDB 6.0.0 built with the -DOPENVDB_ABI_VERSION_NUMBER=4 option, as the ebuilds from Gentoo's repository do when the abi4-compat USE flag is set, but the ebuild from the cg repository builds it with -DOPENVDB_ABI_VERSION_NUMBER=6.
artbody
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i struggelt last week over python update
to much 2_7 3_6; 3_7 3_8 ..... :oops:

so to find all blockers and so on i started to unmerge all kind of packages untill python packages compile without failing
Code:

grep "PYTHON_COMPAT=( python3_6 )" /var/db/pkg/*/*/*.ebuild
/var/db/pkg/dev-embedded/libftdi-0.20-r1/libftdi-0.20-r1.ebuild:PYTHON_COMPAT=( python3_6 )
/var/db/pkg/dev-embedded/libftdi-1.4/libftdi-1.4.ebuild:PYTHON_COMPAT=( python3_6 )

in my case:
Code:

emerge --unmerge blender openvdb
emerge --unmerge libftdi-0.20-r1
emerge --unmerge libftdi
emerge --unmerge dev-embedded/ftdi_eeprom-0.3-r1
emerge --unmerge dev-embedded/avrdude-6.3 dev-embedded/openocd-0.10.0

next steps was reemerge all needed packages
Code:

layman-updater -R
layman -L
layman -a ArtSoftware
emerge -pv blender
emerge  =media-gfx/blender-2.81a-r2

Code:

emerge -pv blender

[ebuild   R   ~] media-gfx/blender-2.81a-r2::ArtSoftware  USE="bullet dds elbeem ffmpeg game-engine nls openexr openmp sdl tiff -collada -colorio -cuda -cycles -debug -doc -fftw -headless -jack -jemalloc -jpeg2k (-libav) -llvm -man -ndof -openal -opencl -openimageio -opensubdiv -openvdb -osl -player -sndfile -test -valgrind" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_7 -python3_8" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: