[SOLVED]: Kernel configuration
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]: Kernel configuration Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm trying to configure my kernel and have a following problem.

In the "Device Drivers" menu I have a submenu called "Mailbox Hardware Support", which is selected by default and can't be un-selected.
When I went for the "Help" it says that it is selected by "ACPI_CPPC_LIB" upon other things to be "y".

Now, this value "y" (selected) depends upon other things on the "X86_INTEL_PSTATE" which is set to "y".
I would agree with this, however the laptop I have - Acer Aspire is an AMD laptop. There is nothing in there which has an "Intel" according to its "lspci".

How do I turn off all of the "Intel" options, including this one?

I'm trying to configure gentoo-sources-4.14.65 on x64 platform.

Thank you.

Last edited by ONEEYEMAN on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
joanandk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Kernel configuration Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:

There are two possibilities:
a) You search for Intel and go into those menus and deactivate the module/option. <- Time consuming, but doable.
b) You clear all modules with
Quote:
make allnoconfig
and start over by selecting the support you need. <- This is a lengthy process!

BR
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try disabling Intel P state control in the CPU Frequency scaling menu.

If it's force-enabled, in Processor type and features should be a submenu, Supported processor vendors. Disabling the Intel option there will stop Intel P state from being force-enabled (and also remove a few other Intel-specific options).

You may need to first enable General setup -> Configure standard kernel features (CONFIG_EXPERT) to get that submenu to appear. You might want to diff your old and new config afterwards as CONFIG_EXPERT can turn on some unwanted debugging cruft.
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Kernel configuration Reply with quote

ONEEYEMAN wrote:
In the "Device Drivers" menu I have a submenu called "Mailbox Hardware Support", which is selected by default and can't be un-selected.
When I went for the "Help" it says that it is selected by "ACPI_CPPC_LIB" upon other things to be "y".

Now, this value "y" (selected) depends upon other things on the "X86_INTEL_PSTATE" which is set to "y".
I would agree with this, however the laptop I have - Acer Aspire is an AMD laptop. There is nothing in there which has an "Intel" according to its "lspci".

Are you in menuconfig? If so, press / and enter X86_INTEL_PSTATE. Then press the relevant number shown, possibly 1. That should take you to that option. If you can't turn it off, rinse and repeat. Help should show you all the options which trigger this option on.

BTW, I find it very useful to boot of System Rescue CD and check drivers/modules.
ONEEYEMAN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant.P,
Thank you.
After turning on "expert mode" I was able to turn that off.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: