[SOLVED] TexLive and Gentoo...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vcmota
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] TexLive and Gentoo... Reply with quote

I am started to get worried about TexLive in Gentoo. TexLive is about to release Texlive 2019, while the stable version in the Portage tree is still TexLive2017, released nearly two years ago. I am an academic, so I really need Latex, and it is nearly impossible for Latex users to live without TexLive. I check regularly on the official page and as you may see there are no updates whatsoever since april 9 2018 (ten months ago). Without a relatively updated version of TexLive in the Portage tree it is very likely that in the near future I might need to migrate to another distro, an idea that I simply hate. I just found out this apocalyptic discussion, which has started with TexLive, and just got even more concerned.

Is something to worry about here?

Thank you all.

Last edited by vcmota on Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see bug 654044?

If you have a little spare time, you could contact the gentoo TeX team and help testing.
vcmota
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you mile155 for your reply. The bug you mention shows that things are still working in Gentoo regarding Tex, which is great news for me.
Best regards,
Vinicius.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Gentoo maintainers cannot satisfy your schedule, then instead of undertaking to migrate to a different distribution, you could maintain an overlay with the required packages.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: [SOLVED] TexLive and Gentoo... Reply with quote

vcmota wrote:
I am started to get worried about TexLive in Gentoo. TexLive is about to release Texlive 2019, while the stable version in the Portage tree is still TexLive2017, released nearly two years ago. I am an academic, so I really need Latex, and it is nearly impossible for Latex users to live without TexLive. I check regularly on the official page and as you may see there are no updates whatsoever since april 9 2018 (ten months ago). Without a relatively updated version of TexLive in the Portage tree it is very likely that in the near future I might need to migrate to another distro, an idea that I simply hate. I just found out this apocalyptic discussion, which has started with TexLive, and just got even more concerned.

Is something to worry about here?

Thank you all.

I am academic as well, all living with LateX, and I never yet found the need to have the latest version. Texlive is not stabilized very quickly in Gentoo - what was the one before 2017, texlive-2013 ? or did we have 2015 ?
(2016 passed by in a flash). But this never was a problem for my work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: