xf86-video-intel vs modesetting for intel 620 igpu
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonkinet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: xf86-video-intel vs modesetting for intel 620 igpu Reply with quote

Hello, I just got gentoo running on my matebook x pro with an intel 620 and I'm curious to know what driver is recommended for fast 2D mostly. I run i3-gaps and will fire up firefox, dosbox and retroarch as my most heavy graphics apps. I ran xf86-video-intel on my previous laptop on Arch for many many years and when i switched to modesetting I found it to be much more snappy. Does anyone here still preference the xf86-video-intel driver? I tried wayland but I couldn't get it to run at all and not sure if that will necessarily even help with my workflow.

Another thing is, since the screen is hidpi (3000x2000 @ 13.9"), grub is super small as well as my kernel bootup. I changed the res in grub using GFX_MODE to 1280x1024 and it's better but as soon as my kernel posts, it goes back to a super small font and I can barely see the prompt to enter my dmcrypt passphrase. Not sure how to force the kernel boot with a custom font or lower res. My console font at least is ter132n so once it hits that it's nice. I'm using genkernel for my initramfs, perhaps I should try dracut instead if that might help with the res/font?
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: xf86-video-intel vs modesetting for intel 620 igpu Reply with quote

tonkinet wrote:
Hello, I just got gentoo running on my matebook x pro with an intel 620 and I'm curious to know what driver is recommended for fast 2D mostly. I run i3-gaps and will fire up firefox, dosbox and retroarch as my most heavy graphics apps. I ran xf86-video-intel on my previous laptop on Arch for many many years and when i switched to modesetting I found it to be much more snappy. Does anyone here still preference the xf86-video-intel driver? I tried wayland but I couldn't get it to run at all and not sure if that will necessarily even help with my workflow.

Another thing is, since the screen is hidpi (3000x2000 @ 13.9"), grub is super small as well as my kernel bootup. I changed the res in grub using GFX_MODE to 1280x1024 and it's better but as soon as my kernel posts, it goes back to a super small font and I can barely see the prompt to enter my dmcrypt passphrase. Not sure how to force the kernel boot with a custom font or lower res. My console font at least is ter132n so once it hits that it's nice. I'm using genkernel for my initramfs, perhaps I should try dracut instead if that might help with the res/font?

I have the same intel, and at the end settled on modesetting. Tried both (well xf86-video-intel was my defualt on previous laptop) and what I fell is that with modesetting it comes out a bit faster from hibernation. Not sure I saw much of the difference in 2D performance after that, but I did not experiment that extensively.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: