Proton games [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mani001
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Proton games [solved] Reply with quote

Anyone playing Windows games in Linux through Valve's proton?

I just installed Monkey Island 2, the games doesn't run and I get

Code:
GameAction [AppID 32460, ActionID 6] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
wine: /mnt/ntfs_ssd/steam_linux/steamapps/compatdata/32460/pfx is not owned by you
GameAction [AppID 32460, ActionID 6] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
wine: /mnt/ntfs_ssd/steam_linux/steamapps/compatdata/32460/pfx is not owned by you
GameAction [AppID 32460, ActionID 6] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 32460, ActionID 6] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 32460, ActionID 6] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 32460, ActionID 6] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
Game update: AppID 32460 "", ProcID 19073, IP 0.0.0.0:0
>>> Adding process 19073 for game ID 32460
GameAction [AppID 32460, ActionID 6] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/local/.home/manu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/local/.home/manu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 32460, ActionID 6] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
>>> Adding process 19074 for game ID 32460
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/local/.home/manu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/local/.home/manu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
>>> Adding process 19075 for game ID 32460
>>> Adding process 19076 for game ID 32460
Game removed: AppID 32460 "", ProcID 19073
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

You would think those ELFCLASS32-related ERRORs are worrysome, but they are not because I also get than when running native games (I guess it's because Steam is a 32 bits binary)

I installed Steam through steam-overlay. Any clue?

Last edited by mani001 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some work, some don't

apparently MI2 does though... https://www.protondb.com/app/32460

doesn't say if they had to do anything to get it to work, i would assume if its ranked platinum that they didn't have to do anything. :?

edit: this might be a problem

Code:

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only managed to run DeusEx GOTY, at least it starts, but it's choppy.
Has nothing to do with Proton though, I had the same problem in Windows with that game, it needs some mods and patches.

Tried maybe ten other games, none started and I gave up.
est921
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bioshock 2 remastered works fine for me. Bioshock remastered (the first one) also starts but crashes frequently, not sure if it is due to proton or simply because the game is already quite buggy since many windows users complained about bugs in that game at launch. I don't have any other windows games on steam to test
mani001
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
edit: this might be a problem

Code:

Good catch!!

I solved it by following

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/35

The problem is Steam doesn't like NTFS partition, and the tl;dr is you need to add your id and gid in /etc/fstab when mounting the NTFS partition.

I'm adding solved above, though from your comments I expect other problems in the near future :roll:

Thank you all for your input!!
sao98021
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when proton was released in beta, it made me really sour twords nvidia for never supporting vulkan on a few specific cards that it was promised for, even capable infact.

it has made me salty twords proton hype because alas nothing has changed for those of us unfortunate souls with one of these old cards.

:P

for those who are wondering, yes you can still update your steam client to the beta client with proton built in, nothing will break.. your console will just speak of this imaginary vulkan it cant find, but everything that worked previously- will still work.

just incase someone was afraid of breaking their install.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: