Weird beeps
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohanB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Weird beeps Reply with quote

This probably sounds a little crazy...

I use Gentoo with KDE 3.1.4 on my system and it generally works very well. I have only one problem: At irregular intervals, my computer makes a single beep. I can't understand why it does this and I can't see a pattern in it either. It doesn't happen very often (it can be hours between beeps) so it isn't that annyoing, but it bugs me that I don't know why it beeps or even what program is causing the beeps...

Does thing sound familiar to anyone? If not, are there any Linux gurus out there (I'm not that familiar with Linux myself) who could help me figure out what program causes the beeps? (Is there perhaps a way to log writes to /dev/dsp?) There are no clues in the syslog and all I know is that the beeps come from the soundcard and not the PC speaker and that it is not one of the sounds in KDE's System Notification settings, but I am not 100% sure about that either...

All help is appreciated.

/Johan
captnjameskirk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you mentioned KDE, I assume your working mostly in the desktop environment. Does the beep happen outside the de? Log into a text terminal (without starting KDE) and see if it still beeps. Also, does it happen while you are active at the computer or when you are inactive for a period of time? You can try disabling the aRts server for a while and see if that stops it. If so, you may need to rebuild that portion of KDE since that would point to an aRts issue. Just guessing right now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: