sound on ibook
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warrenj1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: sound on ibook Reply with quote

I need someone to lend a hand please who has actually got sound working on a ibook g3 800mhz
the system beeps when wrong keys are pressed and also can hear the music and chimes whne enabled on kde so i know the sound daemon is running and speakers are working. Problem is when I start xmms or kscd no matter, both start the cdrom in the drive and everything appears to be working but neither produce any sound through the speakers no matter how loud the sound is turned up.

Anyone run into this before?

Also I used the pbbuttsoned to control the keys and I understood that it was supposed to change my trackpad off as far as clicking so that if the cursor stayed on something it would not "click" it. Anyone else have this problem?
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sound software/drivers are you using? Are you using the dmasound kernel drivers? Or ALSA? Otherwise, what?

I'm typing this from Gentoo on an 800 MHz iBook, with a kernel from ppc-sources-2.4.22-r2, on which sound is working perfectly, using the dmasound modules. (In your kernel config, look for Sound -> PowerMac DMA Sound support; then, 'dmasound_pmac' is the module to load, if you compile it as a module. If your current kernel config doesn't have this selected, you'll have to re-compile your kernel.) I also tried ALSA a while ago, and it worked, but the dmasound route is a bit simpler (i.e., less recompiling with a kernel upgrade).

One other thought: sometimes, after a reboot, I have to mute and unmute the sound before I can hear anything. Otherwise, no problems here with dmasound_pmac.

Re. pbbuttonsd, I'm not entirely clear what you're asking, but in the pbbuttonsd.conf file, the option to check for whether you can 'click' with the trackpad is "tpmode". With "tpmode = notap", it won't 'click'; man pbbuttonsd.conf for the other options tpmode can take.
warrenj1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not providing alot of information. I am using the dmasound form the kernel configuration. When the system boots I get dmasound_pmac is loaded and ok. as I said I do get normal sounds from kde as far as opening windows and such. It appears so far the only problem is when I try to listen to music. The only difference that I know of is that I hame sound built into the kernel and not as a module. Could this really cause it? and I am not using alsa

PS. thanls for the pbbuttons tip I know am not feeling like shooting my trackpad

edit: my apologies i beleive the sound was as a module. I am going to build it directly in the kernel and see what happens
warrenj1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK not sure exactly what I did but have the sound working as a module. Thanks for your help
MrC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to play audio CDs in xmms you must enable: "Digital audio extraction" in the 'CD Audio Player' input plugin.
FlashLight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem as you and someone pointed me to this direction: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-ppc-faq.xml#doc_chap4

Look under Sound.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: