View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Question about turning off automatic image rotation Reply with quote

I have a bunch of jpeg files that I want to show on one of those picture frames. My problem is that it doesn't detect the image rotation setting of the jpeg file, so I have to rotate it upright before I save it to the thumb drive. The problem is knowing when it needs to be rotated.

Are there any image viewers where this setting is either not interpreted or can be turned off so I can handle this efficiently?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your camera has a rotation detector, it should save this bit in the tags. The "file" command should be able to detect this...

$ file unknown.jpg
unknown.jpg: JPEG image data, Exif standard: [TIFF image data, little-endian, direntries=10, description= , manufacturer=xxx, model=yyy, orientation=lower-left, xresolution=204, yresolution=212, resolutionunit=2, datetime=2018:12:12 11:22:33], baseline, precision 8, 4000x3000, frames 3

However how would a computer know if you really meant to keep the rotate flag - or at least I've taken some close-up/macro lens pictures I mean to be landscape but the camera mistook it as portrait. Anyway, "lower-left" and "upper-right" meant the camera was rotated (I think CCW and CW respectively, and "lower-right" is camera was upside down).
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how I can detect the orientation with "file", but I don't see how I can set it.

I think I would like to set the orientation to something fixed and rotate to match.

gwenview will let you rotate images, but sometimes it's difficult to see whether an image needs to be rotated.

Google indicated that imagemagick could handle some stuff.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the idea is that now you know which ones have problems, and you should go fix these, or at least the hope is that these are the ones that you need to fix. Ultimately for a target device that doesn't know how to rotate, you have to manually rotate?

Shouldn't be hard to script something rotate the ones that aren't upper-left.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: