Few installation issues...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venkat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Few installation issues... Reply with quote

Hi,

I am trying to install gentoo from mdk 9.2 using stage 1 tarball. i follow the handbook found here,

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml

my problems:

Code listing 46: Bind-mounting proc and dev

when i try to bind /dev it complains that /mnt/gentoo/dev doesn't exist. probably a step is missing in the document that says mkdir /mnt/gentoo/dev. i created the directory myself and downloaded generic stage1 from a mirror and tried extracting it from /mnt/gentoo. it started extracting several ./dev files and some of those files couldn't be extracted because it complained about permissions and some mknod's failed. at the end of the extraction, i found a tar error that said process exited from previous errors etc.

i am hesistant to continue with compilation from here. i tried once ignoring this error but ended up with a messed up /dev filesystem. even though i got most of the devices working my cdrom was not recognized at all then.

the handbook also lacks a section on getting devfs configured right for installing from with in another distro. this devfs problem doesnot happen when installing from GRP. i have enable the kernel options for devfs including mount at boot.

any help would be appreciated. i am planning to wait until i get these issues resolved to proceed with my installation.

thanks in advance,

venk@

Last edited by venkat on Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
BiggJ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What step are you on? I don't remember the install guide mentioning anything about mounting dev ... boot and proc, but not dev.

--BiggJ
venkat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml

sorry i had a wrong link originally...

at the very end of this page, http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=4
BiggJ
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still not seeing where it talks about mounting a dev partiion. Is all your trying to do is format your partitions for and isntall? If so, try following this instead ...

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-install.xml

You shouldn't need to mount dev. When you untar the stage# tar ball it will create the directory for you.

--BiggJ
venkat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reply: at the very end of this link http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=4
it says,
----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are not installing Gentoo from a Gentoo LiveCD, you need to bindmount /proc and /dev:

# mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
# mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

this is where i see a problem.
Pubare
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you were extracting the tarball, did you remember to pass the -p option to tar? I'm not sure if it's what's causing you issues or not, put it sounds like part of it.
venkat
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, i did. actually i solved the problem at least temporarily. i extracted the tarball before i mounted /proc using -t option & then i ignored the couple of binding mounts.

Code:
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev

i don't have /dev mounted anywhere as of now. but the tarball extraction has created a /dev directory. i was able to bootstrap & i finished installing system & X.

i hope skipping the binding mounts wouldn't cause any problems. btw, i suspect if the handbook found at

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=4

is little out of date. because i don't see those "mount -o bind" thing in the new installation manual. also the new manual recommends doing an "emerge -u portage" after emerge sync if emerge sync says there is an updated portage, in stage 1 install. i don't thing you can do an "emerge -u portage" unless you have the entire tool chain compiled via bootstrap. so one has to bootstrap before updating portage. i tried this the other way once but i got error due to not installed/bad libncurses and the emerge failed.

anyway, let me see how this goes. i'll post my results.

thanks for your replies...

-venk@
erezny
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: READ CAREFULLY Reply with quote

The reason you are having these problems is because you are following directions the manule specificly says not to do if you are installing from a Live CD, which you just said you were. You did not ever have to bind mount anything.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: