how to keep two HDD's in-sync on my home network
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparks
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: how to keep two HDD's in-sync on my home network Reply with quote

I have two servers in my apartment one is a LAN fileserver and has the ip 192.168.1.15 the other is a web-server in a DMZ with the ip 192.168.0.10. They both have a dedicated hard drive filled with music, I do this because I want to keep my DMZ completely separate from my LAN, however I listen to my music with gnump3d http://www.gnu.org/software/gnump3d/ over the internet when I'm at work.

How can I go about keeping the music directories of both computers in sync with each other? For instance if I add a song to my LAN music server it will be added to my DMZ music server as well; there must be an easier way to keep both of these music directories in sync other than manual sorting.
El_Presidente_Pufferfish
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just NFS share them?
sparks
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the purpose of putting my web/ftp/music server in a DMZ is to totally isolate it from my LAN; sharing the directory via NFS is not an option because it would totally negate the barriers that I have put in place between the DMZ and my LAN. Also as I have it set up so that no traffic (unless specified) can travel between my LAN fileserver and DMZ server.
psi0nik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:04 am    Post subject: rsync Reply with quote

look into rsync. if i remember correctly, you can set it up to tunnel over ssh, and i think you can use private-key authentication with that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: