Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Systemd, Udev, Eudev : why is it so complicated to emerge ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ade05fr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Systemd, Udev, Eudev : why is it so complicated to emerge ? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

i'm starting to post this message because i am litteraly tired of the management of the FS through those methods.
In fact the starting point was for me my migration from gnome 3.31.xxx (i know its tnot the stable version, i used overlays to have them) to 3.32 and guess what, its not working at all.
It's been even worst because now i cannot boot to gdm or have access to my gnome-desktop.

I know what will you say: do not use testing branch if you dont know what it can causes, but just for the word, every time i tried to upgrade my gnome version it was a pain;
In general i know the issue because through the logs i can see which package are not compatible but now every time i trid to launch gdm no logs nothing in the /var/log/gdm folder (maybe there is a trick)

So to solve this i decided to clean everything (i mean all the gnome packages to reinstall them) and now when i try to reinstall them or launch a clean emerge -uDN world i have the classic blocking issue between udev/eudev/systemd.

So i start to read the blogs, forums and all the infos though this site and others but nothing help me to have a clean solution
I mean now if install systemd (meaning that i dont have udev and eudev installed) no problem but as soon as i need to build some package to rebuild gnome, its impssible because of theses blocking messages

Code:

[blocks B     ] sys-fs/udev ("sys-fs/udev" is blocking sys-apps/systemd-241-r1 , sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration-7)
[blocks B     ] sys-apps/systemd ("sys-apps/systemd" is blocking sys-fs/udev-239)
[blocks B     ] sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration ("sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration" is blocking sys-fs/udev-239)

So finally i want only thing : is there any clear explanation of how to use systemd ? is udev or eudev are mandatory for some (third party) packages now ?
how can we can rid of this message ?

Sorry for my long post but i needed to explain why im so frustrated.

Another thing : thanks for all of you who help us to make gentoo live for many years (i used it almot since 2002 :-))
ade05fr :P
[LINUX-GENTOO]
Gentoo 2018-0
kernel 5.0.6
gnome 3.30
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can post full emerge output with wgetpaste?
Anyway if you use systemd you don't need any of udev/eudev because udev is integrated already in systemd.
Another question is what overlay you use? Because gnome 3.32 isn't in official tree (latest version available is 3.30.2)
ade05fr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will post it asap (for now im at work)
for the overlay used it is gnome-next, i know that 3.32 is know official on gentoo
Also, as i mention in my previous posts it seems that even though i force to not mask thoses packages, there are needed in other packages.

Thanks
[LINUX-GENTOO]
Gentoo 2018-0
kernel 5.0.6
gnome 3.30
Phoenix591
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember for sure which package it was specificaly, but the gnome-next overlay depended specifically on systemd when I looked at it a week or two ago. With the full output we should be able to track down whats asking for what.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: