distcc and multiple different processors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K0byB0y
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: distcc and multiple different processors Reply with quote

I'm thinking about using distcc with different types of processors. My main Linux box is running on a P4 but I want to use a box that has an Athlon chip in it. I want to have gcc produce highly optimized P4 code and this is my question. Would the Athon be able to produce P4 code with gcc ?
ckdake
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most certainly. I have my P2 450 compile with the help of my AMD XP2600+. Works great if ya ask me.
sparks
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that's not a problem just make sure that you are using the same version of gcc if not things could fail.
ebrostig
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to explain why this works:

The remote machine (Athlon) receives pre-processes c-code from the original host along with the compiler flags to compile it for the right architecture. Hence, as long as the CPU is an x86 type CPU, it will work. You can't use 1 PC with an x86 CPU and another box with a PPC CPU for instance, they need to be the same type.

Erik
andrew_j_w
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebrostig wrote:
And to explain why this works:

The remote machine (Athlon) receives pre-processes c-code from the original host along with the compiler flags to compile it for the right architecture. Hence, as long as the CPU is an x86 type CPU, it will work. You can't use 1 PC with an x86 CPU and another box with a PPC CPU for instance, they need to be the same type.

Erik

I think you could if you had a cross compiling gcc on the PPC box. Setting up a cross compiler is whole heap of nastyness though so best not to go there...
gongloo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a P4 1.8 HT box doing half the work for my 867Mhz Powerbook. Works great for me!
emerge crossdev. enjoy!
Note: I ended up giving the P4 12 jobs at a time - this seemed optimum for LAN connection and lag, etc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: