View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Can't emerge gnome without systemd Reply with quote

I tried without success to emerge gnome without systemd after reading the latest news on Gnome 3 for OpenRC.
I get the requirement of the systemd USE flag for dbus. I did emerge --sync. I have gnome and -systemd in my make.conf
If I try the USE flag in package.use I get there is no ebuild to satisfy elogind and systemd for dbus (at most one)
Any idea?
Best regards,
pourpier

Last edited by pourpier on Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in a stable or unstable system? What is the problem?
I think that install gnome openrc in a stable system is a little more complicated than in a unstable system
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fedeliallalinea,
I chose the ~amd64. I am trying something. I deleted the package.accept_keywords and I am doing a world update with the -DN options. At the moment I have 182 packages to emerge.
I'll see if I can then emerge gnome-base/gnome.
Cheers
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pourpier wrote:
Hello fedeliallalinea,
I chose the ~amd64. I am trying something. I deleted the package.accept_keywords and I am doing a world update with the -DN options. At the moment I have 182 packages to emerge.
I'll see if I can then emerge gnome-base/gnome.
Cheers

I get exactly the same message USE required for sys-apps/dbus-1.12.12-r1 systemd and this is required by several gnome-base libraries/programs and by gnome-base/gnome itself
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pourpier wrote:
I get exactly the same message USE required for sys-apps/dbus-1.12.12-r1 systemd and this is required by several gnome-base libraries/programs and by gnome-base/gnome itself

You can post full emerge output?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge --info

Quote:
If I try the USE flag in package.use I get there is no ebuild to satisfy elogind and systemd for dbus (at most one)

package.use is the wrong place for any of the following use flags: consolekit, elogind, systemd
So cleanup your package.use file.

And then put "elogind -systemd -consolekit" into your make.conf.
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:

Choosing an appropriate gnome profile takes care of that, and much more potential package.use tweak needs. Any global consolekit addition in make.conf or local package.use should be removed. If you are enabling USE=systemd somewhere, then what are you doing installing gnome with elogind? :D

If you haven't done 17.1 profile migration, then the appropriate profile for gnome with elogind is default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome - if you have, then the 17.1, but this is still experimental and requires extra steps if you haven't done those steps yet.
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leio wrote:
asturm wrote:

Choosing an appropriate gnome profile takes care of that, and much more potential package.use tweak needs. Any global consolekit addition in make.conf or local package.use should be removed. If you are enabling USE=systemd somewhere, then what are you doing installing gnome with elogind? :D

If you haven't done 17.1 profile migration, then the appropriate profile for gnome with elogind is default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome - if you have, then the 17.1, but this is still experimental and requires extra steps if you haven't done those steps yet.

Could you tell me the steps to follow? I installed Gentoo with the profile 17: default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome
I don't have the USE flags of asturm in my make.conf
I emerged xorg-server and xorg-x11. When I do emerge -av =gnome-base/gnome-3.30.2 or just emerge -av gnome I get the following message:
The ebuild selected to satisfy sys-app/dbus-1.12.12-r1[systemd] has unmet requirements and it tells me that dbus with the USE flag systemd is required by a series of libraries/programs related to gnome.
Which concrete steps do I need to follow from here?
Best regards,
pourpier
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome for openrc use elogind instead of systemd/consolekit, then as asturm say put in your make.conf the follow use flag elogind -systemd -consolekit
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pourpier wrote:
Could you tell me the steps to follow? I installed Gentoo with the profile 17: default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome

Leio wrote:
asturm wrote:

There's not much more to add to that rather than reiterate:
- desktop/gnome takes care of the right global flags - no need for make.conf entries in this case.
- cleanup your package.use from any redefinitions of above mentioned use flags
- paste the actual (full) emerge output that stops you from proceeding

Last edited by asturm on Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
Gnome for openrc use elogind instead of systemd/consolekit, then as asturm say put in your make.conf the follow use flag elogind -systemd -consolekit

But leio wrote that choosing the appropriate profile takes care of that and much more.
So whose advice do I have to follow?
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't know what your problem is, because you haven't posted sufficient details about it.

If you use desktop/gnome profile, you don't need to add the USE changes to your make.conf that asturm mentioned, as the profile takes care of it.
However your other options, that you already had in place, in /etc/portage may affect things and cause the problem you are seeing. But we don't know what exactly, as we haven't seen sufficient long emerge output to see what really is going on.
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leio wrote:
We don't know what your problem is, because you haven't posted sufficient details about it.

If you use desktop/gnome profile, you don't need to add the USE changes to your make.conf that asturm mentioned, as the profile takes care of it.
However your other options, that you already had in place, in /etc/portage may affect things and cause the problem you are seeing. But we don't know what exactly, as we haven't seen sufficient long emerge output to see what really is going on.

The only USE flags I had in make.conf were bindist and python. I've just deleted bindist and I did an emerge -avuN =gnome-base/gnome-3.30.2 and this is the output of it:
http://dpaste.com/2YYC6XZ
Cheers
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pourpier wrote:
The only USE flags I had in make.conf were bindist and python. I've just deleted bindist and I did an emerge -avuN =gnome-base/gnome-3.30.2 and this is the output of it:
Cheers

See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8322488.html#8322488
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
pourpier wrote:
Cheers

See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8322488.html#8322488

Thanks a lot. What did the trick is putting gnome-base/gnome-extra-apps -share in /etc/portage/package.use
Another trick from your link is to unmask vala and a gazillion of other libraries in package.accept_keywords.
I have 387 packages to compile so I'll wait another day for this but I'll tell you if it succeeded.
Best regards
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pourpier wrote:
Thanks a lot. What did the trick is putting gnome-base/gnome-extra-apps -share in /etc/portage/package.use

That shouldn't be necessary, as I've shuffled it around so that it gets default enabled only with the systemd subprofile.
And looks like I even did that change to the gnome-extra-apps-3.24.2 meta-package, not just 3.30, so shouldn't happen even if you didn't accept_keywords that...
Any idea what went wrong there to need a local tweak for this?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: