Windows XP, Gentoo, and Grub
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coondog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Windows XP, Gentoo, and Grub Reply with quote

I have a desktop with two hard drives. My linux one being my primary ide and my windows being secondary. I have tried to use LILO, but for some reason won't boot that partition. It doesn't even give me an error, it just hangs.

I then tried to use GRUB as a boot manager. I think i'll stick with it ... like it better, but anyways, it does the samething and I know that my grub.conf is setup right, any ideas. I think it has something to do with the fact that Windows XP needs to put some files of it's own on the primary hard disk in order to be able to boot.

Any Ideas Anyone please help !!!
whatalotta
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think windows needs to be installed within the first (1kbytes?), on the first HD, or it will not boot up properly. I think I remember reading that someplace. Not exactly sure what the space limitation is before it, but I know it's small. You might want to swap HD postions and reconfigure. Put grub on the MBR of the Windows drive and try again.
porter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To solve this problem, you have to describe you problem more detailed. It would be very useful, if you described, which error message occurs when grub hangs.
Pubare
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the hard drives on seperate IDE channels, or did you mean the XP drive is a slave? Did you install grub to the primary master or MBR or elsewhere? Post your grub.conf as well just to be on the safe side... Do you get the grub prompt, an error message, or nothing at all? Are both drives still active in fdisk?
nsahoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem, but, I use lilo. When I changed the lilo.conf to

Code:

other=/dev/hda2
   optional
   label=WinXP

other=/dev/hdb2
   optional
   label=NewWinXP

and ran lilo, and rebooted, I saw NewWinXP in the boot menu, but, when I hit enter on it, it didn't do anything just kept showing me the same boot menu.
NSpacer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: From what I remember reading somewhere... Reply with quote

I think I recall seeing that you want your bootloader on the main drive, but Windows on it as well. And you want Linux on the secondary drive.

I could be remembering things incorrectly.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's definitely the problem. Windows has to live on the first disk and Linux on the second one. The way it works is that Windows is stupid and Linux is clever.
nsahoo
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bad luck i guess then. but, i think you can make your comp boot from the secondary disk by changing the bios setting just before booting, is that right? it's a pain, but, not as bad as having to open the case and switch disks.
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK this will not work unless there is a master boot record at the begining of the second disk, but windows puts the mbr on the first disk (which is why it sometimes messes up your boot loader after a re-install). Unless you can get Windows to add it's mbr to the second disk I think you'll have to get the screwdriver out. Anyway taking your computer to bits isn't a pain, it's good fun :wink:
Rodent
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really read this hole thread as I don't have time but,

for grub if Windows is on a slave drive you need to use the map commands, here see mine
Code:
title=Windows XP
map (hd0,0) (hd1,0)
map (hd1,0) (hd0,0)
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader (hd1,0)+1

This makes windows think it is on the first disk

see 'info grub' for all the information on setting it up proper like

Hopes this helps and have a nice thanksgiving
coondog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's awesome thank you for your help ...
one other thing I can't quite figure out is, my time on my laptop keeps displaying 5 hours behind but when i type date -u then it works just fine ... how do i setup my computer for the UTC time ?
Rodent
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To set up your clock for UTC time you need to first set your time zone, I quote from the install guide:
Quote:
14. Setting your time zone

Now you need to set your time zone.

Look for your time zone (or GMT if you are using Greenwich Mean Time) in /usr/share/zoneinfo. Then, make a symbolic link to /etc/localtime by typing:

Code listing 14.1:
Code:
Creating a symbolic link for time zone

# ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/path/to/timezonefile /etc/localtime

Then you need to make sure your rc.conf is configured to UTC time, again I quote from the install guide:
Quote:
22. Final steps: Configure Basic Settings (including the international keymap setting)

Code listing 22.1: Basic Configuration
Code:

# nano -w /etc/rc.conf

Follow the directions in the file to configure the basic settings. All users will want to make sure that CLOCK is set to his/her liking. International keyboard users will want to set the KEYMAP variable (browse /usr/share/keymaps to see the various possibilities).

Now your hardware clock should be UTC but 'date' should display your local time.

Finally if all that is correctly configured it is most likely just your time battery failing. Its just a watch battery so if it is like 3 years old it is very likely. Don't sweat it most of the time the manufactor makes this a easy and well documented task that allows you to go out and about to a local radio shack or the such.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: