View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: What's the correct way to maintain the Gnome menu Reply with quote

I've searched and skimmed a few threads concerning the Gnome menus. I have read a lot of discussions but no real and final answers. (I may have missed the point. (?))

I have installed a number of Gnome applications that 'register' themselves in the Gnome menu. Great. They also show up for all users of this system. Excellent.

Now, I have a set of applications that do not automatically configure themself in the Gnome menu. Either because the package isn't a Gnome application or because it isn't built to do so anyway.

I can, as root, add any X application to my Gnome menu, but this will not show up in the Gnome menu for ordinary users.

I have tried, as root, to add applications in Nautilus (Applications), but even if I get no error messages, they don't remain in Nautilus after save. I have read about other Gentoo'ists having this problem but I haven't found any solution.

What is the preferred way for root to maintain a common Gnome menu?

BTW, I'm using Gnome 2.4 and kernel 2.6(10).

Biker
catzooka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adding/removing items from the GNOME menu as user works perfectly for me. all i have to do is go into the menu (say 'Multimedia') then right click in there, select 'Entire Menu' and choose any of the actions in there to add/remove items to/from the menu. so in other words it works for me...

now to your problem... a possible cause of this may be that if you are someone who updated from 2.2 to 2.4 and you did not delete the ~/.gnome2 stuff in your home (user) directory, it may be possible to fix your problem by deleting ~/.gnome2 in your home directory and setting everything up from new. maybe then you'd be able to do what i described above. i don't know if this will work, but i do remember having the same issue in GNOME 2.2 and it disappeared after i updated to GNOME 2.4 and deleting ~/.gnome2...

in any case. i wish you good luck. hopefully this will help you out a little :)
Biker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deftochino wrote:
...a possible cause of this may be that if you are someone who updated from 2.2 to 2.4 and you did not delete the ~/.gnome2 stuff in your home (user) directory...

This is not the case. I just installed from scratch. Got Gnome 2.4 right away.

I just want to be able, as root, to add an application to the menu so that from that moment it will be visible in the menu for any and all users of the system.

Let's say I have some 50+ user accounts on this PC. If root adds an application to the Gnome menu, any user logging in should automagically see the new application in his/her Gnome menu.

Biker

Last edited by Biker on Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

All gnome entries (and soon linux applications (thanks to kde for adopting the standard too)) are stored as .desktop files in:

/usr/share/applications

Those are systemwide files and all you should have to do is copy a desktop file over and edit it yourself. They are very straightforward files. For the changes to appear in your panel you need to either run fam or do a killall -HUP gnome-panel

Karl
Biker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl11 wrote:
All gnome entries (and soon linux applications (thanks to kde for adopting the standard too)) are stored as .desktop files in:

/usr/share/applications

Those are systemwide files and all you should have to do is copy a desktop file over and edit it yourself. They are very straightforward files.

Well, in my system these files are (partially) binary files. At least, they don't seem very straightforward to edit with a text editor.

Isn't there a tool to maintain these .desktop files?

Biker
tomk
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason you get strange characters, which look like binary in a text editor, in these files is that they often include comments in various different languages. The strange characters would look correct if you were using the correct language encoding. But you shouldn't need to bother with comment lines for other languages so you can remove any lines which start with this: Comment[two_letter_language_code]= all you need is the Comment= line in the file. You're favourite text editor should do the trick.

HTH
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to make or edit a .desktop file is to drag it onto a Gnome panel (or create it with right click->Add to panel->Launcher...) and then right click on it and select Properties.

This lets you set name, comment, command, icon, etc., and see what it'll look like on a panel. You can then drag it back into Nautilus or onto the desktop (copying it) and delete it from the panel.

It's still a good idea to check it in a text editor. gedit is perfectly adequate, especially as it will correctly detect the encoding of a file containing localised names and comments. If you want to use a different text editor, you may need to set LC_ALL to a UTF8 locale.
Biker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecatmur wrote:

It's still a good idea to check it in a text editor. gedit is perfectly adequate, especially as it will correctly detect the encoding of a file containing localised names and comments...

True. And it works fine. Thanks a lot to all of those providing tips and ideas on this subject.

Biker
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: