Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Most reliable hard-drives (manufacturer)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Best HDD manufacturer?
Maxtor
30%
 30%  [ 30 ]
Western Digital
31%
 31%  [ 31 ]
Samsung
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Toshiba
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Seagate
24%
 24%  [ 24 ]
IBM
10%
 10%  [ 10 ]
Hitachi
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 98

wishkah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Most reliable hard-drives (manufacturer) Reply with quote

So, which manufacturer do you trust the most?

There already is the "most unreliable" thread, but I prefer it this way around, since I need to buy a new drive for my server (thank you very much big blue)

[subliminal message] IBM SUCKS! [/subliminal message]
mmealman
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the "They all suck" option?
bartendercorey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever you do don't go with a IBM/Hitachi Deathstar(Deskstar). At work we've replaced about 20 of those drives with in the past year. My personal call is Maxtor.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maxtor and WD have been pretty reliable for me. I haven't had any others. My ibm lappy drive is fine, but it's only a 20gb.
JDenis_007
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had absolutely no problems with IBM drives. A lot of people I know have them and I have never seen one fail. IBM now Hitachi got a bad reputation from only one bad model, and that is a shame since their other products are all of high quality. Don't let you judgment be influenced by only ONE model(75GXP). Personnaly, I own a 60GXP(60Gb) and it works great, had it for about 3 years now.
However, I have seen a lot of old Maxtor fail after about 3 years of usage. I also had a WD fail on me after about 2 years of usage. Worst of alli IMO is Seagate. I once had 2 identical models that could not even work in maste/slave configuration.

Anyway, IBM/Hitachi rules for me.
zeroK
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had only experience with Maxtor and Seagate yet and those with Maxtor were absolutely bad. Every Maxtor HD I have lost after about half a year the first blocks while the Seagate HD works since IIRC 1999 without any problem. It isn't that heavy used as my current Maxtor which I now have since 2002, this one has already many bad blocks on it :-?
wishkah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used three IBM 60 gigabyte GXP drives and they ALL DIED within months! I still use one for my backups, I really hope that one is the exception, cause if THAT one dies, I'm gonna sue IBMs pants off! I hate them so much, I lost all my simpsons episodes and mp3 collection cause of their faulty drives! ARRRGH!
donovansmith
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Samsung 10GB that came in an HP Pavilion 3 1/2 years ago and it has been moved in out of various machines, been formatted more times than I can remember, and generally been used a lot and is still going. And it is still nearly silent, too. Not the fastest 5400RPM drive, either, but it does the job well enough. My Western Digital WD400BB is over 1 1/2 years old, but it is too early to tell if it will hold up in the longer term so I can't give it the vote.
wishkah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard from many sides that 5400 rpm drives don't die as often as 7200 drives do. Its a shame that nearly all big IDE hdds (>40 gig) run at 7200 rpm... is there a way to slow down a 7200rpm drive to 5400 by software?
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this counts, but my WD 40 gig drive died about a year after having it. I was pretty pissed until I realised there was a 4 year warranty on all WD drives. I got it replaced with absolutly no hassle at all and its still under warranty until 9/2004. Even if the drives were complete shit (which they aren't) you're guaranteed at least 4 years out of them.
erik_swanson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably isn't the norm, but I have twice as many IBM drives as other brands (Maxtor and Seagate) and the IBM drives are the only ones I havn't had any problems with.
semiSfear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v said it before and I'll say it again. IBM sucks big time. IBM has both crashed on me and destroyed sectors. I have even recieved wrongly manufactured IBM disks, 2 times!? And they become very very hot too. Maxtor is OK. Now I'v only owned IBM, Seagate and Maxtor disks, and Seagate is so far the best manufacture.
supernovus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Maxtor, Seagate, WD, Fujitsu, IBM and Quantum (no longer existant thank God).

I never had any problems with any of them except for one IBM drive which died, and one Seagate which died. However, I remember when I was tech support for an ISP/Computer store and 99% of all failed hard drives we witnessed were Quantum. Now that Maxtor has bought out Quantum, I'm scared to try a Maxtor drive in case they used some of the Quantum crap. God that was a horrible hard drive company. Blech!

So in other words, they're all pretty good. I've never had a failed Maxtor, WD or Fujitsu drive. Yet ;-)
jaska
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted Western Digital, but also Seagate is very good with making harddrives. Thinking of buying a 160gb Western Digital now.
mimesis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first seagate just died last week (after threeish years of brutal, vibration-filled/being-dropped life) and I respected it so much my replacement ended up being a seagate. Every other manufact. I've had an experience with produced at least one HDD that survived most briefly in comparison. IBM is the WORST. And surely the pro WesternDigital people have had their horror stories?!
rbeagle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Western Digital has always been rock-solid for me. I'm running on a WD 10 gig right now that has never given me problems, along with a WD 100 gig that has been equally reliable.

My worst experienecs have been with IBM and Maxtor, though. My school bought around 20 low-end Pentium compubers from IBM (back when they were still new, and came with both OS/2 and Win 3.1 loaded 8O ). After two years, every last one had their drives replaced at LEAST once. A few years later, a friend of mine from Germany was beginning to convince me that IBM had improved greatly, but then that whole Deskstar fiasco came about.

As for Maxtor, nearly every time I've gone to fix a friend's computer that wasn't booting anymore, I've found a dead Maxtor drive. Certainly not a good reputation in my eyes.

But, since other people swear by IBM and Maxtor, and merely swear at Western Digital, it just makes me believe that buying ANY hard drive is going to be a gamble. I just place my bets on Western Digital.
lodger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rbeagle, I have to agree with your last paragraph. My new box came
with a WD 80 and winblows. I immediately added another WD80 and
installed Gentoo. I rarely go into the win drive (virus & security updates)
but after less than a month the WD win drive died. The Gentoo WD is
nice and quiet.
My previous computer came with an IBM 20 and I set up Gentoo on a
Maxtor slave. The IBM died. The Maxtor still works after 3 yrs.
So maybe it is just a crapshoot with hds. Or, in my case, maybe it is
from lack of using the win drives. :)
lodger
Anime_Fan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supernovus wrote:
However, I remember when I was tech support for an ISP/Computer store and 99% of all failed hard drives we witnessed were Quantum. Now that Maxtor has bought out Quantum, I'm scared to try a Maxtor drive in case they used some of the Quantum crap. God that was a horrible hard drive company. Blech!

I've used a Quantum for something along the lines of 10 (?) years. Got it used, and it's still running.

Seriously, I've had problems with my WD disk (slow-as-hell) and my Deathstars (120GXP - both corrupted their partitions within a week, now running fine, however).

I do love my Maxtor, but I haven't used it much (newest component in the system).
merlinBSD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use seagate WD and maxtor drives.... my 40 G maxtor drive has made crasy sounds since the day I bought it..... still working though, but I really like my WD drives and they are the oldest of my system and working very fine :) They are the one that have the best hdparm perfs too. seagate is alwite in my opinion, jus dun like maxtor :| but WD win 4 me :D
alphatronics
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone through a few maxtor's and WD's, I've yet to have a seagate go bad.
Syzar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for Maxtor, but still I have hard time myself deciding between Maxtor and Seagate. I have myself about a year old 80GB Maxtor, which has been working excellently. I also have about five year old 8GB Seagate, which has seemed to be great too, no dead sectors or anything.
I'm greatly satisfied with both. And I would not also put my moneys on IBM HDD's, as I have heard horror stories about those.
ProtectionFault
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only using Maxtor.
Using them on my server (24/7) and never had any disk crash.
Great disks, good performance.
Not a single disk crashed ever.
Once had a WD drive but it crashed after 20 hours (not that good :twisted: )
ed0n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxtor has been always good for me.
Aurora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto above...Maxtor for me. Never had a Maxtor HD fail.
wishkah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurid wrote:
I don't know if this counts, but my WD 40 gig drive died about a year after having it. I was pretty pissed until I realised there was a 4 year warranty on all WD drives. I got it replaced with absolutly no hassle at all and its still under warranty until 9/2004. Even if the drives were complete shit (which they aren't) you're guaranteed at least 4 years out of them.

That's not the point. IBM always gave me bigger, faster and newer drives after my old ones got RMA'ed. The point is that that doesn't give me my data back! And some of these lost files were important documents. Ok, I backed most of it up, but try to back up 30 Gig of Simpsons Episodes and mp3 files... even with a DVD+R that takes some time... and the drives weren't stressed very hard, so I didn't expect them to die within less than 6 months of use.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: