Something went wrong...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayDude
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Something went wrong... Reply with quote

I'm installing / reinstalling my old server (from scratch install for the first time in over ten years).

I installed stage 4 because I couldn't get stage 3 to boot. That turned out to be my crappy BIOS.

Everything was going okay and I was working on getting enough sata ports on my MOBO (long story) to run my old-ish RAID6 array.

While I was getting that working, something went wrong... But I don't know what.

The bash prompt changed to this:
Code:
$(cat /etc/hostname 2> /dev/null | cut -d ~ #

And emerge stopped working. It hangs on certain operations.

For example it hangs at the end of an emerge --sync, but the files update okay.

It runs fine for emerge -s.

It hangs if I attempt to install any packages.

A single CPU sits at 100%, and the normal whirly-gig (spinning line, spinner, what ever it's called) does not show up.

My original problem was X didn't work, but that's because the stage 4 I grabbed is wayland and man, nothing with xorg-x11 works, period.

I'm hoping to avoid a from scratch install as it took two days to get where I am and I don't have time to do it again.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know how to approach this? I've never seen emerge hang with 100% CPU usage.

I tried eselect python to set python 2.7 but that didn't help.

Now I can't install the nfs-tools and nfs-utils which I need. I can't run mythtv-setup because a GUI won't work.

Even if I try to run mythtv-setup remotely I get the same error message, which I think is related to wayland being enabled.

Code:
$(cat /etc/hostname 2> /dev/null | cut -d ~ # mythtv-setup
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display 10.1.10.138:0
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: wayland-org.kde.kwin.qpa, minimal, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Aborted

All kibitz welcome.

Thanks in advance...
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might be two things, either /etc/hostname got changed, or there might be something wrong in /etc/profile or ~/.bash_profile

not sure why a bad hostname would cause portage not to show the spinner... that said, 100% cpu usage on a single core while calculating deps is normal for portage, because its not multi-threaded.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
RayDude
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
this might be two things, either /etc/hostname got changed, or there might be something wrong in /etc/profile or ~/.bash_profile

not sure why a bad hostname would cause portage not to show the spinner... that said, 100% cpu usage on a single core while calculating deps is normal for portage, because its not multi-threaded.

Thanks for posting.

I know 100% on a single cpu for emerge is normal, but it sits forever and never spins.

I checked /etc/profile and /etc/bash/*

/etc/hostname is okay and as far as I know unchanged.
joanandk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Something went wrong... Reply with quote

RayDude wrote:
I installed stage 4 because I couldn't get stage 3 to boot. That turned out to be my crappy BIOS.

You can rule out defective RAM, defective RAID controller?
Did you check Kernel logs (dmesg) for any issues?

BR
RayDude
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

dmesg had the ryzen iommu messages, I disabled iommu in the bios and that went away.

There were no other messages.

Update: I downloaded a stage 3, booted to system-restore, did a chroot, tar xf the stage 3 and then set root password.

When I rebooted the bash issue was gone,

Portage also worked, but was still very confused.

The world file had been blanked and portage was very confused.

I figured out a way to restore the world file (not using the log), fixed up my USE and started another @world emerge.

I'm having problems with gtk+ looking for egl and gl at the moment...

At one point, I swear to god the system replaced files in /etc to older versions... But it hasn't happened again, so I'm moving forward as if everything was okay...

Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: