View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevmille
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally compiled the 2.6.0-test11 kernel yesterday. Works fine but I do not see much improvement from the test9 kernel.

Strange thing happened though, when I first rebooted back into KDE, my notebook used up all the resources so I could not do anything liek check mail, etc. Then all of a sudden, KDE logged out and relogged in??? I checked the calendar, it was not Friday the 13th or anything.
Squinky86
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARENA wrote:
emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx

I had a similar problem. I had to "emerge nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel" with the first test kernel I tried. I dunno why, but the order mattered for me. Oh well, it's worth a shot. Good luck!
Lemma
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Choppy sound ... Reply with quote

I have had this problem with xmms skipping now and then (as in once every 5 min or so) - not much and not often but annoying, especially since it does not appear to be related to load, I can have the computer do nothing else that playing xmms (with ~5% CPU) and the skipps are still there! I have tried every kernel from 2.6-test8 and even mm and love - the problem persists! I am running gentoo on a Dell Laptop (Inspiron 4150, ALSA intel8x0 snd-card), right now I am running gentoo-dev-sources but as I said, I have tried them all (almost ;-)).
patson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squinky86 wrote:
PARENA wrote:
emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx

I had a similar problem. I had to "emerge nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel" with the first test kernel I tried. I dunno why, but the order mattered for me. Oh well, it's worth a shot. Good luck!

PARENA, try merging nvidia-kernel _AFTER_ you've booted...

Lemma wrote:
I can have the computer do nothing else that playing xmms (with ~5% CPU) and the skipps are still there!

I read in a post in a mailing list that xmms jumps because of mis-set nice values... apparently, the scheduler now works correctly and because of that some strange nice tweaking can cause xmms to skip.. experiment with it, see if it helps?

Is it normal for XMMS to use ~7% cpu (~15 or 20 with Blur Scope enabled), or did I have a problem with the 2.4.21 kernel I compiled - cpu load was at 0-3% with music on and 1-6% with blurscope... :?

edit: typo
Lemma
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patson wrote:
Lemma wrote:
I can have the computer do nothing else that playing xmms (with ~5% CPU) and the skipps are still there!

I read in a post in a mailing list that xmms jumps because of mis-set nice values... apparently, the scheduler now works correctly and because of that some strange nice tweaking can cause xmms to skip.. experiment with it, see if it helps?

How do i change nice-levels for xmms without having to sudo renice xmms or something like that? If I want to change it a bit more permanently, how do I go about? (I will test what is the best value by setting it to different levels and letting it run for a while, but what to do when I have found the "best" setting, how do I make it stick?)

Also, ps is telling me xmms has nice 0, as it should have. What kind of mis-set nice-values are you referring to?
patson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lemma wrote:

Also, ps is telling me xmms has nice 0, as it should have. What kind of mis-set nice-values are you referring to?

There was some talk about X running at nice values other than 0, and that "choking" other processes... There was talk about some distro maintainers setting X to run at strange nice values to give a speed increase. I could be completely off (most likely I am) but still, it's a suggestion...

I'm not yet exactly sure what's the best way to go about renicing xmms.. it works great for me, as it is :)

I'll experiment when I get home - we only have one Slackware box running 2.4.22 here at school...
Lemma
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patson wrote:

There was some talk about X running at nice values other than 0, and that "choking" other processes... There was talk about some distro maintainers setting X to run at strange nice values to give a speed increase. I could be completely off (most likely I am) but still, it's a suggestion...

I'm not yet exactly sure what's the best way to go about renicing xmms.. it works great for me, as it is :)
I can reproduce it by using dd if=/dev/zero of=zero.iso making the hdd work alot. This also causes the mouse-pointer to be "jerky" - the lot that should not happen as easy with this new kernel :-(. I am using the preemtive, maby i should try without... BTW, X is running at nice 0, also as it should, and even setting xmms to nice -15 still does not do the trick; -15 is higher than every other process I can see, exept ksoftirqd/0 (at nice -19).
patson wrote:

I'll experiment when I get home - we only have one Slackware box running 2.4.22 here at school...
I'd really appreciate you doing that, and if you help me find a way around it; X-mas lite ;-).
Biker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I'm running 2.6 test11-r1 while writing this. ;-)

Never a dull moment.
Biker
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OHH man ! when did the r-1 release ???

and whats the difference now ?

i'm using the gentoo-dev-sources , any ideas ?

Bye,
Jassi
PARENA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerging nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx when booted in 2.6 helped, I'm typing from a running 2.6 kernel as we speak. :)

Working on supermount now. Dunno why, but it didn't work. I put in a cdrom but to no avail. In fact, it wouldn't mount at all, though I included ISO9660 and Joliet support (and supermount support, naturally).
patson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. About the strange nice value theory: seems to be bogus :)

Most strangeness disappeared after playing a while with XFree, KDE and XMMS ebuilds (I had some spare time... and trouble waking up this morning) the problem 'magically went away'... :o

So, here's what I did. Not finding nice values to have any real difference performance-wise I recompiled XFree, and that fixed the mouse cpu usage thing (although I don't really get how that's possible). I switched to mm-sources just to test if it was any better, but that appeared to do nothing. I recompiled XMMS a few times, to no avail.

Then I created a new user... and my problems went away :D

I'm honestly stumped. But it works now...

...the KDE ebuild had to do with Samba not working, but that one seemed to make absolutely no difference whatsoever.. :)
PARENA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a strange new problem. Well, 'new' for me, anyway. I can't get DMA working in 2.6-test11. It works fine with my 2.4.20 kernel (gentoo sources). This results in slow first startup of all applications. It takes over 30 seconds for KDE to startup. Once stuff has started once, there's no problem (since it takes it from memory, I guess), so it's not overall performance. Just first-load. :/

When I do a "hdparm -d1 /dev/hda" I get:
Code:
setting using_dma to 1 (on)
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
using_dma = 0 (off)

I believe I compiled it into the kernel correctly, though I could be wrong of course. Does anyone have experiences with this in 2.6 and/or tell me what it is exactly I have to compile? I use an Abit KT7A main board that has VIA bridges and stuff.
patson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSI KT266Pro 2A here (VIA chipset) and DMA is working spiffy..
Mooses
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: XMMS skips Reply with quote

I did notice these also.

I use xmms with kde, but as the arts-outpot-plugin caused xmms only to give up I start it using the artsdsp command. Selecting the alsa-output plugin from xmms caused the skips, changed it to the oss-plugin, and, so far, no skip.
Lets hope!

Good luck

Mooses
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: