Before I install I have some questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mortamer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Before I install I have some questions Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I am just learning C++ (and not very good yet) so I really don't know much about the different optimization flags and optional flags GCC supports. The only linux experience I have had was redhat and mandrake and only for a short while. I plan to dual boot with XP pro. My computer specs are (dell) pentium 4, 2.66 ghz, 512 ram, 128 video card ram (ATI Radeon), 120 gig hard drive. I have a couple questions, first off.. I have partition magic and I was wondering how exactly to partition my drive (I have never used partition magic before). My second question is what optimization / optional flags should I put? I downloaded the Pentium 4 version if that helps (whats the difference between that and the regular one)? Also, if you have any other advice feel free to tell me. If you have any further questions ask away! Thanks!!!
codedmart
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need about a 32mb boot partition which ext 2/3 is highly recommended. Then you need to double your RAM to get you swap partition so for you about 1000mb. For the /root partition use what ever you have remaining and ReiserFS, ext3 recommended; ext2 ok it just depends on what you are using it for. As fer as the CFlags do a search at this forum for CFlags and you will find plenty of info on it. I have a Athlon-xp 1800+ and I used

-march=athlon-xp -Os -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer

Hope that helps.
gaz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you download the livecd built specifically for P4's, the make.conf provided in the stage3 tarball provides excellent cflags.. :)

this thread has alot of cflag stuff ... aptly named.. 'CFLAGS Central' :)
Mortamer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaz wrote:
if you download the livecd built specifically for P4's, the make.conf provided in the stage3 tarball provides excellent cflags.. :)

this thread has alot of cflag stuff ... aptly named.. 'CFLAGS Central' :)
So your saying once I get to that part of the install, it'll give me good suggestions on cflags?
Mortamer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blmartin777 wrote:
You need about a 32mb boot partition which ext 2/3 is highly recommended. Then you need to double your RAM to get you swap partition so for you about 1000mb. For the /root partition use what ever you have remaining and ReiserFS, ext3 recommended; ext2 ok it just depends on what you are using it for. As fer as the CFlags do a search at this forum for CFlags and you will find plenty of info on it. I have a Athlon-xp 1800+ and I used

Hope that helps.
I heard (probably when installing redhat) that the swap size should equal your RAM. Can anyone confirm either one before I screw up my system (IE if I should doube my ram for the swap or make it the same as my ram)?
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mortamer wrote:
blmartin777 wrote:

Hope that helps.
I heard (probably when installing redhat) that the swap size should equal your RAM. Can anyone confirm either one before I screw up my system (IE if I should doube my ram for the swap or make it the same as my ram)?

I think the install guide says you should have 1-2 times your RAM size on the swap partition, it's not that important if it is 500 or 1000 MB.
gbhilden
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the old days (ie 2 years ago :-) ) it was reccomended to use a swap file of double your ram. BUT then having even just 128 meg's of ram was an enormous amount, with the average probably 32 or 64 mb.

Now the "people that seem to know" say a 512 mb swap is enough. I do know recent versions of the linux kernel will support up to a 2048 mb swap file.

I'm using just 512 mb of ram on my laptop and even with KDE running the swap has never been used that i could see.
Mortamer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what cflags does the version compiled for p4 use? Would it be better just to use a stage3 for p4?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: