View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kossa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Steam stopped working after migration to 17.1 profile Reply with quote

Steam stopped working after migration from 17.0 to 17.1 profile:

Code:
steam
/home/bartek/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 106: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
/home/bartek/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 106: VERSION_ID: unbound variable
Running Steam on gentoo  64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled by the user
Pins up-to-date!
/home/bartek/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 823: /home/bartek/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/run.sh: No such file or directory
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(0)
libGL error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

My system was on 17.0 profile and after doing everything from "eselect news read 77" (amd64 17.1 profiles are now stable) steam stopped to work.

What I did:
1. sync and update system
2. skipped because of gcc-8.3.0 already there
3. emerge -1v app-portage/unsymlink-lib
4. unsymlink-lib --analyze (output not very useful for me)
5. skipped, nothing important to backup
6. unsymlink-lib --migrate
7. rebooted system and everything looked good
8. unsymlink-lib --finish
9. eselect profile set default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma
10. emerge -1v sys-devel/gcc:8.3.0
11. emerge -1v --deep /lib32 /usr/lib32 /usr/lib/llvm/*/lib32
12. rm /lib32 /usr/lib32

And after I found out that steam doesn't work I emerge @installed
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kossa, I guess you have an issue here but I think it could be a kernel/hardware one possibly.
Can you post your kernel config, preferably using a pastebin tool like wgetpaste?

If nothing is wrong with the kernel then maybe you should attempt to reinstall sys-kernel/linux-firmware
Kossa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Kossa, I guess you have an issue here but I think it could be a kernel/hardware one possibly.
Can you post your kernel config, preferably using a pastebin tool like wgetpaste?

If nothing is wrong with the kernel then maybe you should attempt to reinstall sys-kernel/linux-firmware

http://dpaste.com/0SXC41S

Steam was working on this kernel without problems
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok are you using mesa, what video driver packages can you try rebuild those as well?
Kossa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
ok are you using mesa, what video driver packages can you try rebuild those as well?

I have rebuild all, whole @installed. I use mesa, should I rebuild that again? I can rebuild whole @installed again if it will help. Video drivers are from kernel.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress? Rebuilding kernel modules for video is something I commonly have to do, but then again I don't use AMD but NVIDIA graphics. Did you try any other kernels?
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don´t know if this is relevant but isn´t Steam a 32bit application?
Please correct me if I´m wrong : wouldn´t Steam then stop working
on a non-multilib system?
This may be BS though.
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transsib wrote:
Don´t know if this is relevant but isn´t Steam a 32bit application?
Please correct me if I´m wrong : wouldn´t Steam then stop working
on a non-multilib system?
This may be BS though.
IMO default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma is multilib
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try to remove the software for userspace graphics such as mesa and then reinstall it after everything has been removed? I think some of the files could be looking in wrong place for those libraries. Another way is to use the comamand ldd to run the application which provides a sort of trace of the linked libraries. Then post back here.
Kossa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
Any progress? Rebuilding kernel modules for video is something I commonly have to do, but then again I don't use AMD but NVIDIA graphics. Did you try any other kernels?

No, I compiled new kernel and rebuilded all @installed again but nothing changed.
Kossa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it is only me who have this issue? Everyone with 17.1 profile have Steam working without problem?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running Steam by the way no problem on profile 17.1. But if others are not then I agree your question may be helped if anyone else who experiened the same problem as you is able to also verify this.

What I can't say for sure is that even with many people on the forum that every problem out there is not always easily replicated problem. I've been stuck with situations like the one you describe after making changes to my system in the past.

Make sure everything else (all graphical applications, services, etc.) I mean everything other than Steam is working.
Then you will know that you've identified Steam application as being the source of difficulty or faultiness.
Unmerge and remerge at that point is probably a good idea to redo the entire Steam installation, including dependencies, which could mean running emerge --depclean on the many Steam dependencies at some point in the uninstall process.
Now with Steam installed again debugging the application can make use of various tools. Post back here with a more specific description about what the program does when launched, e.g. does it crash right away, does it display any messages and if so what kind, does it open a window at any point, is there a dump of any kind.
Then using certain debugging tools we will be able to trace or find the source of problems at that point.

I know it seems like it was a result of the profile change, but what exactly that even means is complex because in the process of updating profile you probably also updated a bunch of packages.
It may even be that the removed locations in /lib32 or /usr/lib32 folder are trying to be accessed by some of Steam runtime dependencies.

Good luck, signing off for now.
ezakimak2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kossa wrote:
So it is only me who have this issue? Everyone with 17.1 profile have Steam working without problem?

I'm seeing the same thing.
17.1 profile broke something here.
ezakimak2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this post: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1096338-highlight-steam+swrast.html
This fixed it for me.
Kossa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ezakimak2 wrote:
Found this post: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1096338-highlight-steam+swrast.html
This fixed it for me.
I don't have nvidia so I can't use that tip.
Kossa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
I am running Steam by the way no problem on profile 17.1. But if others are not then I agree your question may be helped if anyone else who experiened the same problem as you is able to also verify this.

What I can't say for sure is that even with many people on the forum that every problem out there is not always easily replicated problem. I've been stuck with situations like the one you describe after making changes to my system in the past.

Make sure everything else (all graphical applications, services, etc.) I mean everything other than Steam is working.
Then you will know that you've identified Steam application as being the source of difficulty or faultiness.
Unmerge and remerge at that point is probably a good idea to redo the entire Steam installation, including dependencies, which could mean running emerge --depclean on the many Steam dependencies at some point in the uninstall process.
Now with Steam installed again debugging the application can make use of various tools. Post back here with a more specific description about what the program does when launched, e.g. does it crash right away, does it display any messages and if so what kind, does it open a window at any point, is there a dump of any kind.
Then using certain debugging tools we will be able to trace or find the source of problems at that point.

I know it seems like it was a result of the profile change, but what exactly that even means is complex because in the process of updating profile you probably also updated a bunch of packages.
It may even be that the removed locations in /lib32 or /usr/lib32 folder are trying to be accessed by some of Steam runtime dependencies.

Good luck, signing off for now.

Do you have games-util/steam-launcher only or games-util/steam-meta?
Kossa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I installed wine and I have the same error as with steam:
Code:

Anyone here with AMD graphic and 17.1 profile?
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry you aren't getting help needed, but if you are willing to try take a look at this post from 3 years ago similar error messages...
https://askubuntu.com/questions/771032/steam-not-opening-in-ubuntu-16-04-lts

Maybe there is a workaround involved in this thread on ubunutu forums that might be worthwhile to try.

Or else following this explanation:
https://wirejungle.wordpress.com/2015/01/09/how-to-fix-broken-steam-linux-client-with-radeon-graphics-driver-workaround/

Here's a quote:
Quote:
The problem is that Steam can’t come preloaded with ALL the libraries it needs and has to rely on the OS to supply some. This is exactly the case with radeonsi_dri.so. This library is in charge of the client’s OpenGL interface with the actual driver.

Another quote that helps explain things more:
Quote:
This error is an artifact of the fact Steam is a 32-bit binary running on a 64-bit machine. LibC6 has two versions (32-bit and 64-bit). The Steam binary needs the 32-bit version but other parts of the client run as native 64-bit and when they start they will get the LD_PRELOAD environment specifying a library with the wrong format. So how do we tell LD_PRELOAD to take the right one?

LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6' DISPLAY=:0 steam

Whatever the specific problem or issue you are having can be addressed from the specific debug output following the same procedure the article mentions on the way to finding an issue on that local system with the interface between radeonsi_dri and OpenGL which i guess required libstdc++ version to be recoded.

Lets see your debugging output here.

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:30 am; edited 3 times in total
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you follow that article, then you can check if direct rendering is enabled, with this command

Code:
 DISPLAY=:0 glxinfo | grep -i direct
Kossa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
If you follow that article, then you can check if direct rendering is enabled, with this command

Code:
 DISPLAY=:0 glxinfo | grep -i direct

Code:

$ DISPLAY=:1 glxinfo | grep -i direct
direct rendering: Yes
    GL_AMD_gpu_shader_int64, GL_AMD_multi_draw_indirect,
    GL_ARB_derivative_control, GL_ARB_direct_state_access,
    GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_ARB_draw_indirect,
    GL_ARB_indirect_parameters, GL_ARB_instanced_arrays,
    GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_ARB_multi_bind, GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect,
    GL_AMD_multi_draw_indirect, GL_AMD_performance_monitor,
    GL_ARB_direct_state_access, GL_ARB_draw_buffers,
    GL_ARB_draw_indirect, GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_ARB_enhanced_layouts,
    GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_ARB_indirect_parameters,
    GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_multitexture,

This is not only problem with Steam but Wine does not work too. I'm prety sure that it is 17.1 profile wchich is causing this. I had working Wine for many, many years and never had such problem until now.
Kossa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

$ LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6' DISPLAY=:1 steam
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
Pins up-to-date!
/home/bartek/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh: line 823: /home/bartek/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/run.sh: No such file or directory

Kossa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
$ DISPLAY=:1 LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose steam
Pins up-to-date!
libGL: Can't open configuration file /etc/drirc: Nie ma takiego pliku ani katalogu.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/bartek/.drirc: Nie ma takiego pliku ani katalogu.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /etc/drirc: Nie ma takiego pliku ani katalogu.
libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/bartek/.drirc: Nie ma takiego pliku ani katalogu.
libGL: pci id for fd 8: 1002:67df, driver radeonsi
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib32/dri/tls/radeonsi_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib32/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
libGL: dlopen /usr/lib32/dri/radeonsi_dri.so failed (/usr/lib32/dri/radeonsi_dri.so: nie można otworzyć pliku obiektu dzielonego: Nie ma takiego pliku ani katalogu)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/tls/radeonsi_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
libGL: dlopen /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so failed (/usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so: niewłaściwa klasa ELF: ELFCLASS64)
libGL: pci id for fd 8: 1002:67df, driver radeonsi
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib32/dri/tls/radeonsi_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib32/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
libGL: dlopen /usr/lib32/dri/radeonsi_dri.so failed (/usr/lib32/dri/radeonsi_dri.so: nie można otworzyć pliku obiektu dzielonego: Nie ma takiego pliku ani katalogu)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/tls/radeonsi_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so
libGL: dlopen /usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so failed (/usr/lib64/dri/radeonsi_dri.so: niewłaściwa klasa ELF: ELFCLASS64)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib32/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib32/dri/swrast_dri.so
libGL: dlopen /usr/lib32/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib32/dri/swrast_dri.so: nie można otworzyć pliku obiektu dzielonego: Nie ma takiego pliku ani katalogu)
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so
libGL: dlopen /usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so failed (/usr/lib64/dri/swrast_dri.so: niewłaściwa klasa ELF: ELFCLASS64)
Kossa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have created symlink /usr/lib32 -> /usr/lib and steam started to work
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kossa wrote:
So I have created symlink /usr/lib32 -> /usr/lib and steam started to work
You must have something which still is expecting files in /usr/lib32.
Did you run emerge -1v /lib32 /usr/lib32 -a as this should list all applications which reside in /usr/lib32 and request a rebuild (moving them to /usr/lib)
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well of course it now begs the question why the gentoo maintainers decide to remove these links in new 17.1 profile if they are needed by an application that points to /usr/lib32. In other words for this to be any kind of official fix would basically undermine the whole point of removing those link anywayz I think there could be a better fix with the Steam runtime problem. Before marking as solved lets try tp take a look at the runtime dependency mentioned for libstdc++. Have you tried to use equery module to see what package in the tree brings it in? I would do this myself except right now my desktop host that keeps synced copy of portage tree is down. And if you find it you can maybe try to remove it! Then rebuild the steam meta package and see if it might pull in the required dependency hopefully this time to the right end location in /usr
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: