rdesktop and xfreerdp - application virtualization
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: rdesktop and xfreerdp - application virtualization Reply with quote

While playing around with remote access to windows a question raised. I particularly am testing access applications only instead of opening a complete session.

I first tried with xfreerdp, and while it works in principle, but is quite slow and the windows drawing is not good. Sub-windows opened by the application are not drawn /displayed properly.

I used the following command for this:
Code:
xfreerdp /v:ip-adress /w:1280 /h:1024 /p:password /u:username /app:"||applicationname"

I tried different switches but could not get a reliable window that draws nicely and reacts quickly.

So my next try was rdesktop:
Code:
rdesktop -P -x m -z (trying different options to test) -T 'Title of window' -g 1280x1024 -u username -p 'password' -s 'C:\path_to\application.exe' ip-adress

This one works nearly perfectly, much better windows drawing, much more responsive, basically almost perfect.

Now my question. With rdesktop I cannot start multiple instances of the same application with the same user credentials. It only works once per username for the same application (to open different applications with the same user is possible) simultaneously. But I can open the same window/exe for another user simultaneously.

As soon as I try to open the same application with the same user a second time, while the previously opened application windows is still open, it stops with:
Code:
disconnect: The session was replaced.

This problem does not happen with xfreerdp; there I simultaniously can open multiple sessions of same application with the same user.

Does anyone have experience with application virtualization and can point me to the right direction to learn and optimize my remote acces with rdesktop or xfreerdp or recommend me maybe even better access methods to a windows application?
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use rdesktop, freerdp and tigervnc to connect to Windows machines. I usually display the whole desktop, not only an application.

I'm happy with all of them. Drawing quality is fine and speed is sufficient for all applications I use: Windows management, Word, Excel, etc.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. Connecting to a windows session is not a problem, I have. That all works fine. Its launching an application window only as described with those two tools rdesktop and xfreerdp that cause the problems described above.

I am hoping that someone has a hint, or an even better application to replace those two for the purpose of launching an application window only, not the entire desktop.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: