Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
installing gentoo minimal from WiFi? is possible ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themythtoon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject: installing gentoo minimal from WiFi? is possible ? Reply with quote

Hello!
I never installed gentoo, I always wanted to give it a try but the installer scared me.
Yesterday I started to read everything in the installation handbook and at first it seems easy, but I forgot that my Notebook does not have a wlan xD port
Create my bootable USB, boot it, and pond me where configuring the network would be.
but in handboook it does not explain what to do next to connect to my modem and thus access the internet.
It's possible ? I missed a step?

To simplify it: I want to configure my network and then connect to my WiFi modem to follow the installation.

It's possible? Do I forget any detail of the handbook?

Thank you for your patience !

Last edited by themythtoon on Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
jobb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: installing gentoo minimal from WiFi? is possible ? Reply with quote

themythtoon wrote:
Hello!
I never installed gentoo, I always wanted to give it a try but the installer scared me.
Yesterday I started to read everything in the installation handbook and at first it seems easy, but I forgot that my Notebook does not have a wlan xD port
Create my bootable USB, boot it, and pond me where configuring the network would be.
but in handboook it does not explain what to do next to connect to my modem and thus access the internet.

To simplify it: I want to configure my network and then connect to my WiFi modem to follow the installation.

Which architecture ? What's yout CPU model? If its AMD64 (Modern PCs use the amd64 architecture, including those with Intel branded processors), you can use

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Networking

You can connect to the Wifi and follow the installation(I did that 4 days ago) IF the kernel supports your wifi card (I had a wifi usb adapter). More information about your hardware(which model of processor ? Which wifi card ?) would be helpful.
themythtoon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: installing gentoo minimal from WiFi? is possible ? Reply with quote

jobb wrote:
themythtoon wrote:
Hello!

Which architecture ? What's yout CPU model? If its AMD64 (Modern PCs use the amd64 architecture, including those with Intel branded processors), you can use

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Networking

You can connect to the Wifi and follow the installation(I did that 4 days ago) IF the kernel supports your wifi card (I had a wifi usb adapter). More information about your hardware(which model of processor ? Which wifi card ?) would be helpful.

Thanks for the help, I read the handbook but I still have no idea how to connect miself to the WiFi even how I do to see the available connections?

I using amd64
This is my hardware :

Lenovo yoga 14ikb

CPU: Intel pentium 4415u
GPU: Intel HD graphics 610
Ram: 4gb

I made the net-setup (all fine)

Then I go to the wireless handbook:
iw dev wlp2s0 info. (All fine)

But then I don't know what's next.
How I connect my WiFi card to the modem?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themythtoon,

Welcome to Gentoo.

There is nothing magic about the Gentoo minimal CD. Its just a toolkit you use to install Gentoo. None of the code on the minimal CD will go into your install.
That means you can use any Linux liveCD to install Gentoo. There are a couple of constraints to keep in mind.
For a 64 bit install, you must boot a 64 bit kernel.
For a UEFI install, its easier if you boot in UEFI mode. You will need to boot in UEFI mode to complete the install.

Getting back to the minimal CD and toolkits, the minimal CD is not a good toolkit to use if you want to install using WiFi as its wifi support is poor.
Find a liveCD that supports your WiFi and use that to install Gentoo. If you already have another Linux installed on your system, that will do nicely.

System Rescue CD used to be Gentoo based. That will probably be a good toolkit.

You probably need wpa_supplicant to get your wifi to work. Nobody runs an open or WEP encrypted wireless network any more. Its WPA2 or better.
You will need to set up wpa_supplicant to deal with your encryption.

System Rescue CD provides a graphical too to do that.
If you really have your heart set on using the Gentoo minimalCD, you can use Sneakernet.
There is always a way.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
themythtoon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
themythtoon,

Welcome to Gentoo.

There is nothing magic about the Gentoo minimal CD. Its just a toolkit you use to install Gentoo. None of the code on the minimal CD will go into your install.
That means you can use any Linux liveCD to install Gentoo. There are a couple of constraints to keep in mind.
For a 64 bit install, you must boot a 64 bit kernel.
For a UEFI install, its easier if you boot in UEFI mode. You will need to boot in UEFI mode to complete the install.

Getting back to the minimal CD and toolkits, the minimal CD is not a good toolkit to use if you want to install using WiFi as its wifi support is poor.
Find a liveCD that supports your WiFi and use that to install Gentoo. If you already have another Linux installed on your system, that will do nicely.

System Rescue CD used to be Gentoo based. That will probably be a good toolkit.

You probably need wpa_supplicant to get your wifi to work. Nobody runs an open or WEP encrypted wireless network any more. Its WPA2 or better.
You will need to set up wpa_supplicant to deal with your encryption.

System Rescue CD provides a graphical too to do that.
If you really have your heart set on using the Gentoo minimalCD, you can use Sneakernet.
There is always a way.

Thanks for your time, can I just install by the gentoo hybrid iso? ¿It support WiFi? Then once install just update all gentoo packages?

Something like the equal to "apt-get update" or " yum update" but with Packman?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themythtoon,

The hybrid ISO is several years old. You can use it to follow the gentoo handbook to accomplish an install.
If you try to install its code to your HDD, updating will be more difficult than installing using the minimal CD.
It was only ever intended to allow potential users to try Gentoo without installing it.

Gentoo does not provide very many binary packages for you to install. Mostly only things that will not build on low end systems.

Being several years old, it may be missing support for newer hardware, such as your WiFi.

Start with System Rescue CD on a USB stick if you need to download something.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think you'd find it quicker and easier to install Ubuntu first,
and then use that installation to install Gentoo; then add Gentoo to the
boot menu. Given the size of modern drives 8-16 GB for a Ubuntu install
is nothing, and the installer would do all the tricky stuff, like sorting
out the boot setup, for nothing.

Furthermore, I've always found it helpful to have a second installation
available to maintain or backup or generally mess around with the first.
Sometimes I use Gentoo as the second install, and sometimes the current
Ubuntu LTS; with a net connection Ubuntu is easy to maintain, so it's no
great hardship.

Good luck - Will
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: