Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is Profile 17.1 a move toward a Linux monoculture?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saellaven
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Anon-E-moose wrote:
It's possible that RH made Ubuntu an "offer they couldn't refuse" (insert pic of the godfather ;) ) so they quit with the separate logind, because I have a vague recollection that it wasn't long after they separated logind that they "embraced" systemd.

According to Mark Shuttleworth, it was Debian's decision to adopt systemd that made him decide to drop development of Upstart and move to systemd:

https://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1316

I assume Ubuntu kept logind as a separate binary until Ubuntu migrated from Upstart to systemd:

Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
We’ll certainly complete work to make the new logind work without systemd as pid 1

Anon-E-moose wrote:
They (systemd) could just have easily did what Ubuntu did and elogind did, which is make it completely separate. They didn't want to.

Agreed.

And, IIRC, the Debian technical steering committee that made that decision was stacked with Red Hat employees, with a Red Hat employee breaking the tie... which, in turn, caused a number of key devs to abandon Debian.

I don't know whose payroll the Gentoo Council members are on, but the same type of factional zealotry has been and continued to be used to force Gentoo down the RedHatification road...

The long stated purpose of systemd, is to standardize every distro upon systemd... and the catch is, systemd is so totalitarian in it's strangling of the entire linux ecosystem that other distros, at best, become clones of Red Hat with different icon packs and colors. systemd is the RedHat trojan horse equivalent to Microsoft's Embrace, Extend, Extinguish campaigns. Red Hat couldn't control Linus, and with him, the kernel, so the next option was to create a layer that everything else talks to... a layer which Red Hat exclusively controls (NOTABUG WONTFIX) and is so complex and convoluted, only they can truly support. You want to run linux in a corporate environment, you're paying Red Hat for support regardless of which flavor of systemd koolaid you drink.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a read of the gnome blog I linked, that covers it all from the GNOME side of things. Trying to dig through the gentoo ml at the time is a nightmare (and that is what GNOME found when they were tying to understand the noise from Gentoo about GNOME requires systemd).

The only reason I was following it was, while I was never a GNOME user (WindowMaker -> Openbox and now AwesomeWM)... my wife needed something more "classical" when she used my PC so I kept gnome installed for that... Ironically she got along with early gnome3 (be it painfully slow) than my openbox???? I had to yank GNOME and then rebuild soo much as GNOME had wormed it's way into a lot of what I was using in openbox (unexpectedly) when it suddenly depending on systemd... I spent a lot of time trying to understand whether it was a gentoo political move, a mistake, short-term etc... Everything pointed back to upstream so I janked the last bit of gnome off my machine and just installed xfce panel for my wife
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:
And, IIRC, the Debian technical steering committee that made that decision was stacked with Red Hat employees, with a Red Hat employee breaking the tie

The Debian technical committee vote was tied four-all for systemd vs Upstart. Committee chairman Bdale Garbee cast the deciding vote for systemd:

https://www.linux.com/news/debian-technical-committee-vote-concludes/

From his biography, I don't think Bdale Garbee was or is a Red Hat employee:

https://gag.com/bdale/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bdale_Garbee

saellaven wrote:
... which, in turn, caused a number of key devs to abandon Debian.

The decision to go with systemd did indeed prompt two of the technical committee to resign and other developers to abandon Debian:

https://itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/66153-systemd-fallout-two-debian-technical-panel-members-resign

EDIT:

https://itwire.com/business-it-news/open-source/63121-garbees-casting-vote-means-systemd-is-debian-init

Quote:
Keith Packard, Russ Alberry, Don Armstrong and chairman Bdale Garbee opted for systemd while the other four - Colin Watson, Steve Langasek, Andreas Barth and Ian Jackson - expressed a preference for upstart.

Keith Packard, apparently not a Red Hat employee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Packard

Russ Alberry, apparently not a Red Hat employee:

https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/personal/

Don Armstrong, apparently not a Red Hat employee:

https://www.donarmstrong.com/resume/

So it appears that the Debian technical committee members who voted for systemd were not Red Hat employees.

(N.B. I'm not defending systemd or Debian's choice of systemd; I use OpenRC in both my Gentoo installations. But we need to get the facts straight.)

EDIT: Just noticed that I incorrectly attributed the first two quotes to Naib, when in fact saellaven made them. So I have fixed that.

My blog

Last edited by Fitzcarraldo on Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
CasperVector
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
You're right Ubuntu did manage to make logind run separate from systemd, but you couldn't do that "out of the box" you had to patch it. You couldn't download the package "logind", compile and run it. And even at that you needed a certain amount of systemd stuff to build it. Ubuntu just disconnected logind from the rest of systemd.

But if I remember right, it wasn't but a release or two later that systemd made it so that logind was even more tightly coupled to systemd, and Ubuntu quit making it separate. ETA: It's possible that RH made Ubuntu an "offer they couldn't refuse" (insert pic of the godfather ;) ) so they quit with the separate logind, because I have a vague recollection that it wasn't long after they separated logind that they "embraced" systemd.

They (systemd) could just have easily did what Ubuntu did and elogind did, which is make it completely separate. They didn't want to.

I recently investigated the events around this, and found this:
Lennart Poettering wrote:
logind of course is one of the components of systemd where we explicitly documented that it is not a component you can rip out of systemd.

CasperVector
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saellaven wrote:
Red Hat couldn't control Linus, and with him, the kernel, so the next option was to create a layer that everything else talks to... a layer which Red Hat exclusively controls (NOTABUG WONTFIX) and is so complex and convoluted, only they can truly support. You want to run linux in a corporate environment, you're paying Red Hat for support regardless of which flavor of systemd koolaid you drink.

And this is why the user should at least keep an eye on Devuan, Void, Alpine etc :)
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elogind and eudev made systemd people a little more honest and in line.
When there were alternatives, the systemd/RH cabal had to change their dictatorial behavior.

Before elogind became stabilized, they would change the inner workings of systemd to make logind harder to extract as a standalone binary, the same was going on with udev before eudev got popular.

Remember LP's "this is a wakeup call, gentoo" (paraphrased as I don't remember the exact verbiage) re. udev being used with anything other than systemd.

Edit to add: Going to what Naib has said before, if systemd had been properly engineered, then all the components would have had clean boundaries, where they could either be replaced (if needed) or used standalone (without a ton of work). In the past I did plenty of work with complex systems where there were boundaries, where you wrote to the interface, for example the db part, and the db could be easily changed by using something else and writing to that same interface. It's not difficult, but it does require a little preplanning, not "it's tuesday and I've decided to add xyz to the program today, just because". Of course if systemd were to have been done that way, then people could have chosen the init part, dropped the binary logging, chose logind, dropped network, etc, with a monolithic bloc then it's take it all. So from that aspect systemd wasn't in the make linux better mode it was in the "control" linux mode. And here we are.

Last edited by Anon-E-moose on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Elogind and eudev made systemd people a little more honest and in line.
When there were alternatives, the systemd/RH cabal had to change their dictatorial behavior.

Before elogind became stabilized, they would change the inner workings of systemd to make logind harder to extract as a standalone binary, the same was going on with udev before eudev got popular.

Remember LP's "this is a wakeup call, gentoo" (paraphrased as I don't remember the exact verbiage) re. udev being used with anything other than systemd.

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-May/019657.html

Quote:
Also note that at that point we intend to move udev onto kdbus as
transport, and get rid of the userspace-to-userspace netlink-based
tranport udev used so far. Unless the systemd-haters prepare another
kdbus userspace until then this will effectively also mean that we will
not support non-systemd systems with udev anymore starting at that
point. Gentoo folks, this is your wakeup call.

Kdbus was the nail in the coffin for alot of their forced monoculture, plus some really bad ... "Features"
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
if systemd had been properly engineered, then all the components would have had clean boundaries, where they could either be replaced (if needed) or used standalone (without a ton of work).

you assume its engineering goal, and as such, assume it's a failure.
I'm less sure it's an engineering failure, because i doubt it was made like that by stupidity or mistake, but on purpose.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
Anon-E-moose wrote:
if systemd had been properly engineered, then all the components would have had clean boundaries, where they could either be replaced (if needed) or used standalone (without a ton of work).

you assume its engineering goal, and as such, assume it's a failure.
I'm less sure it's an engineering failure, because i doubt it was made like that by stupidity or mistake, but on purpose.
really? system engineering is an extremely underappreciated discipline (and the likes of Agile doesn't help) where managers think it is a good idea to just jump in and do. Sure for isolated concepts to get started its fine, but this does not last. Clearly defined context boundaries, clearly defined interactions, clearly defined flow is critical to every sort of system. SystemD absorbing more and more functionality and swallowing entire projects does point towards a monoculture type overlord (and there are clear signs of that, esp Pottering and gentoo...) but it is also a sign of zero architecting and their only solution is to absorb and change the poor project that nexts gets into their focus.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What i mean by that Naib is that you cannot define an engineering failure because you made a non reliable car when your boss asked you to make it like that.
Sure from external eyes, it looks a failure (everyone would assume at least reliabilty should be part of the goal in a car), but it was a goal (and in this case, the best engineer will make one with a predictable date of failure ; and the worst enginner would make a reliable one...).
I'm not sure systemd design was make like that by poor choices or randomness.
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Once a gentoo user came along and created elogind, this permitted unofficial systemd-free GNOME until Gentoo made this official Mar 27, 2019 https://www.gentoo.org/news/2019/03/27/gnome-330-openrc.html .

Funny story, elogind's GitHub page says that it was initially developed for the Guix system. I suppose that, being part of the GNU project, Guix is expected to be a vehicule for distributing GNU software, and GNOME is still considered that:

GNU Package Blurbs
Quote:
GNOME is the graphical desktop for GNU.

However, there is also a GNU init system, the not very well known, Guile-based Shepherd. So I guess the choices they had were not distributing GNOME, not using the Shepherd, or create elogind :)
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
What i mean by that Naib is that you cannot define an engineering failure because you made a non reliable car when your boss asked you to make it like that.
Sure from external eyes, it looks a failure (everyone would assume at least reliabilty should be part of the goal in a car), but it was a goal (and in this case, the best engineer will make one with a predictable date of failure ; and the worst enginner would make a reliable one...).
I'm not sure systemd design was make like that by poor choices or randomness.

From the articles and interviews with Lennart Poettering I have read since the advent of systemd, he said the concept and design was his and that he convinced Red Hat to let him develop it, not the other way around. So, to continue with your analogy, I think 'your boss' in this case is Lennart Poettering, not Red Hat. Of course, if Red Hat management then thought that systemd would give the company a commercial advantage and facilitate control of the direction of the OS, Red Hat could be construed as 'your boss' rather than Lennart Poettering. But the original concept and the architecture was Lennart Poettering's, so, in my opinion, the buck stops with him as far as the soundness of the design is concerned. Thus the fundamental question becomes: Is the concept and design of systemd sane and well-constructed from a technical point of view alone (i.e. putting aside the so-called 'political' aspects)? The only purely technical analysis of systemd (the service management part only, unfortunately) by a third party that I have seen is: Structural and semantic deficiencies in the systemd architecture for real-world service management, a technical treatise. It would be interesting to read others.

My blog
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, Fitzcarraldo, I took a glance at it, but will have to save a thorough reading for later, but does look interesting.

Having said that, I don't think there would have been any problems (certainly not the ones we have now) if systemd were only an init & init-script replacement.

It's all the other things added, trying to be the middle man between the kernel and the user that makes people wary of it.

I'm not a big fan of LP, having seen his previous work, and his lack of following through with said work to completion.
But I haven't followed systemd from the initial concept so I can't say if it was his idea he sold or not, so I'll take your word for it.
But whether he sold the idea to RH or RH came to him, it's immaterial, RH has used it to gain unprecedented control over multiple linux distros and it only looks to get worse, in the short term, rather than better.

For a comparison, one only has to look at windows to see that constantly adding things doesn't make it better, it makes it more complicated to do it right.
No clear separation between subsystems, has a tendency to cause it all to fail, in usually unpredictable ways, which I think will manifest in the not too distant future for systemd. As more and more people use it, in ways that LP hasn't foreseen, there will be more BSOD equivalents. But that's all just my conjecture.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDH-gentoo wrote:

However, there is also a GNU init system, the not very well known, Guile-based Shepherd. So I guess the choices they had were not distributing GNOME, not using the Shepherd, or create elogind :)

One way or another, it seems something is getting shoved down our throats. On the one hand, systemd, and on the other hand, Lisp or another dialect thereof. I know many love Lisp and consider it to be the Mother Language, but others (myself included) don't. Language wars aside, I don't think Lisp appropriate for low-level stuff like an init system, though perhaps very appropriate for the dependency-graph aspects of it.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
Thanks for the link, Fitzcarraldo, I took a glance at it, but will have to save a thorough reading for later, but does look interesting.

Having said that, I don't think there would have been any problems (certainly not the ones we have now) if systemd were only an init & init-script replacement.

It's all the other things added, trying to be the middle man between the kernel and the user that makes people wary of it.

I'm not a big fan of LP, having seen his previous work, and his lack of following through with said work to completion.
But I haven't followed systemd from the initial concept so I can't say if it was his idea he sold or not, so I'll take your word for it.
But whether he sold the idea to RH or RH came to him, it's immaterial, RH has used it to gain unprecedented control over multiple linux distros and it only looks to get worse, in the short term, rather than better.

For a comparison, one only has to look at windows to see that constantly adding things doesn't make it better, it makes it more complicated to do it right.
No clear separation between subsystems, has a tendency to cause it all to fail, in usually unpredictable ways, which I think will manifest in the not too distant future for systemd. As more and more people use it, in ways that LP hasn't foreseen, there will be more BSOD equivalents. But that's all just my conjecture.

I can't say I disagree with you on any of that. My own concerns are more with 'all the other things added', as you put it, including the possible dwindling of alternatives due to systemd's 'feature creep' (which is not a technical argument in itself).

My blog
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when windows 3.1 and earlier was just a windowing desktop on top of dos, it could be swapped out and there were alternatives to it, using dos as the base. But MS didn't like that, it didn't get them lock-in so they hid dos deep within windows so that it was hard to separate it. There were vendors who sold various add on utilities, and over time MS added them either with EEE or buying them out or creating their own version that wasn't as good as the alternatives, but was free. And we all know where that ended up. We don't need that for linux to be "successful", we don't need an RH only world. I prefer having choices, whether an init, an editor, a windowing desktop, whatever. Monocultures hate choices, "how dare those pesky end users want something else other than what we offer" :lol:

Edit to add:
And I'm not saying RH is wrong to do the things they do, they're a business, they look at things from that aspect.
Nor am I saying LP/systemd people are wrong with building what they want to build, everyone has the right to scratch an itch.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: