[SOLVED] Minimal ISO: no video after GRUB
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoshi_26_02
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Minimal ISO: no video after GRUB Reply with quote

Hello,

UPDATE: This is a GRUB problem, using another grub executable than the one in the iso and loading gentoo from it worked. Seems related to this bug. More details at the end.

I am trying to install Gentoo on a PC and I can't get video.
I boot the minimal iso and grub menu loads, I execute Gentoo then nothing. On the screen the grub menu is still there, when I boot with kernel parameters (nomodeset), I get the "Booting a command list" and nothing.
I can confirm that Gentoo boot because I started it with the "dosshd" parameter and I could ssh to it from another PC and everithing is working, except the video.

For hardware info:
- GPU: NVIDIA 1080
- CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x

What I tried:
Using some kernel parameters: nomodeset, vga=792
Changing the cable from displayport to HDMI, and the monitor
Debian live iso works well, but it uses the nouveau driver. I tried to boot it while blacklisting the nouveau driver and TTY1-6 were still working (but no X since no video driver). I used "nosplash modprobe.blacklist=nouveau video=efifb noquiet" kernel parameters. It doesn't work for gentoo iso.

No efifb or vga available:
Code:

livecd ~ # dmesg | grep -i efifb
[    3.490028] efifb: invalid framebuffer address
livecd ~ # dmesg | grep -i vga
[    2.918539] pci 0000:01:00.0: vgaarb: VGA device added: decodes=io+mem,owns=none,locks=none
[    2.918539] pci 0000:01:00.0: vgaarb: bridge control possible
[    2.918539] pci 0000:01:00.0: vgaarb: setting as boot device (VGA legacy resources not available)
[    2.918539] vgaarb: loaded

I think I will do the install from SSH but I don't understand why it doesn't load any video.
Does anyone knows why it can't load any video ?
Thanks

P.S. Using the latest Gentoo minimal ISO "install-amd64-minimal-20190818T214502Z.iso".

Edit:
I tried to boot an archiso to see if it had the same problem, after blacklisting the nouveau driver it started without problem.
Howerver, I saw that efifb was working correctly, while on gentoo it throw an invalid framebuffer address error.
Code:
# dmesg | grep -i fb
[    7.219339] efifb: probing for efifb
[    7.219448] efifb: framebuffer at 0x1000000000, using 2400k, total 2400k
[    7.219449] efifb: mode is 800x600x32, linelength=4096, pages=1
[    7.219449] efifb: scrolling: redraw
[    7.219450] efifb: Truecolor: size=8:8:8:8, shift=24:16:8:0
[    7.219607] fbcon: Deferring console take-over
[    7.219608] fb0: EFI VGA frame buffer device
[    7.643646] fbcon: Taking over console

So there is actually a valid framebuffer, but Gentoo doesn't find it.

Update:
After some research, I found that it could be a problem from GRUB. I found this bug and the problem is the same for me.
So, to try this, I copied the BOOTX64.EFI and the grubx64.efi from the debian iso to the gentoo iso, overwriting the existing ones.
After doing this, I booted and got a grub prompt, I loaded the gentoo config with "configfile (cd0)/grub/grub.cfg" and got the gentoo grub config.
I then needed to change the root with "set root=(cd0)" and boot the Gentoo entry.
Gentoo started and video worked, "dmesg | grep -i efifb" is the same output as live debian or archiso.

So this problem can be qualified as solved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: