First boot, stuck on "Checking local filesystems"
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LemurFromTheId
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: First boot, stuck on "Checking local filesystems" Reply with quote

I'm trying to get back go Gentoo after some 10 years of using mostly Windows but occasionally dual-booting into Arch or Manjaro. Installation went swimmingly right until the final chapter, when I was supposed to boot into the new system to finalise the installation. Everything seemed fine, Grub found both Windows (which is where I'm typing this from) and Gentoo. Booted into Gentoo, some modules were loaded, OpenRC started doing its thing, and then...

"Checking local filesystems" ...and everything stopped. No error messages, nothing. I let it run for ~30 minutes and then rebooted. Same thing.

I booted into the installation CD and ran fsck.ext4 on my root partition, but it was fine and didn't solve the issue.

I have several hard drives, presumably two of them being relevant:

1) HDD with nothing but / on it, ext4. No separate /boot partition, ESP is mounted on /boot/efi.

2) HDD with Windows 10 on it, several strange partitions (Win recovery stuff, I assume). ESP is the second partition on this drive.

I also have an SSD with Windows games on it, and a third HDD I use as a common storage between Linux and Windows, but neither of these are in my fstab yet, so I guess these don't count as "local filesystems".

My Linux sysadmin skills - which were never that impressive - are decidedly rusty, and I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do now.

Please let me know if I should post some specific config or log files (I'll have to boot into the live CD again for this), I'm really not sure what's relevant here - or where to find whatever is relevant. I installed sysklogd, but haven't touched the default settings.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Manjaro worked flawlessly for me, but I found myself missing the good old Gentoo, so I wiped it just so I could get back to watching things compile...
LemurFromTheId
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everything is as it seems.

I enabled rc.log (thanks DONAHUE for the tip!) and found out that init process actually completes successfully without any errors. I even managed to log in as root and reboot the system by typing in 'reboot'.

The problem is that the display is frozen right after "Checking local filesystems" every single time. I just don't see how those two could be connected in any way.

Is this some weird framebuffer incompatibily problem? I have Nvidia GTX 1080 and I used genkernel to get a working kernel, fully intending to do a manual config and compilation later at some point. Maybe that's what I should be trying next?

Oh well, now I need to get some sleep. Was a long day at work, which didn't leave much time to fiddle with my Gentoo install. :(
LemurFromTheId
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, it seems that recompiling the kernel manually did the trick. Not sure what it all was about, but I have a working system now. Thanks for the help, everyone! :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: