Cannot initialise crypto backend, and internet is broken too
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happysmash27
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Cannot initialise crypto backend, and internet is broken too Reply with quote

I recently had to force restart my computer (after just over a year of consistant uptime ;( ), and everything is a disaster! In addition to a reset of my BIOS that I had to buy a VGA cable to fix, I now have the following problems:

1. None of my encrypted hard disks will mount! I get the error:

Code:

Cannot initialize crypto backend.
Device /dev/sdb is not a valid LUKS device

It is a valid LUKS device, though, as my old reliable external disk gives the same error and this one, and the live USB can mount both. As /dev/sdb (I mount it on /mnt/MEGA) is heavily integrated with my system, I have /usr/portage/distfiles there, among other things which take space, so it is very important!

Even worse, my internet no longer seems to work either. dhcpcd is the only dhcp client which gives an IP address, but I still don't get a gateway which is more specific than a subnet, and get "no route to host" errors. This computer runs all of my servers and the home internet. so this is also very bad.

I tried to use my mobile hotspot, to see if this was a rediculously coincidental ISP issue, but NetworkManager will not use the WiFi card, probably because of some tweak I used to make hostapd work properly that I do not remember.

Any tips? This is a mess, and all the problems are interrelated!
happysmash27
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Everything is fixed now Reply with quote

Apparently, the solution to the internet actually was to just wait, then re-plug the modem again; it really did go out at the most ironic time possible!

This allowed me to re-emerge cryptsetup with gcrypt as a backend instead of kernel, and now my hard disk works too.
msst
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In addition to a reset of my BIOS that I had to buy a VGA cable to fix, I now have the following problems:

This sounds fairly cryptic and I doubt it is clear for other people here what happened and what you did.

A problem with the luks mount can happen if you have in the time between upgraded kernel and other stuff and potentially not read the notes coming with it. As you needed to step away from using the kernel backend for crypto, it might be some of the kernel config was changed during that year. This is where I would go checking because cryptsetup works here without gcrypt...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: