View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
axl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: a decent keyboard Reply with quote

hi gentoo folks. I know this is kind of an unorthodox question, but i'm at the end of my rope.

I'm tired of purchasing logitech products. I bought into them all. since the start 20 years ago. i had so many logitech mice, and keyboards that just failed in 6 months. I have beefy hands but I do not punch my keyboard. In fact I'm looking for one that works with a soft touch.

anything you had for longer than 6 months and still works, I'd love to hear about it. the only precondition I kinda have to have is that is should be available in the EU. which should be pretty much anything.

but i'm tired of G mouses. great mouses. lots of buttons, but in 6 months, inevitably... the middle button stop functioning, the first button is randomly repeating itself when you press it.

the last 2 keyboards I bought were a bundle logitech k800. i loved the layout. the feel. everything. except in 6 months buttons are just going to fly out of their socket. And it's the saddest thing, to press a button 10 times, just to get it back into it's socket.

and no linux guy should ever be forced to press a button ten times just to repair the button, while also trying to keep commands straight. so i'm open to suggestions, as long as I can buy them in EU
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Keyboardio Model 01. Two years old and built to last.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no idea if you can still buy one, but i'm using this one for so long time i cannot even remember when i brought it (i think it was ~2004), and all keys are still like they are brand new (i have 0 dead key, and none of the keys seems harder or softer than another one)
Code:
[    1.041449] usb 1-3.1: Product: Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been on for a while. I decommissioned my Gentoo machine as it was very old and the hardware was getting flaky and unreliable. I'd have bought a new machine, but I'm away from home for a year. When I get back, I'll repurpose my wife's laptop to be my gentoo machine. It's older, but not ancient, and has plenty of horse power if you're not interested in being bleeding edge.

So now onto the question. At my work at home I discovered HP's KU1156 keyboard which some machines had. It feels amazing to type on and it's far from flimsy. The only drawback it might have to some is that it's corded, but for a keyboard, who cares, and it's possible to buy new and used ones dirt cheap. Again, this is a really high quality keyboard in all respects (I purchased one and it's being brought over to where I am now).

Related to this all, for a long time I lusted after the Happy Hacking Keyboard and similar. You can purchase them in stores here and I tried some of these things out. I didn't care for how they felt to type on although I like the small form factor (the KU1156 is a full-size keyboard). The Happy Hacking keyboard is far inferior in all other areas.

Anyway, there's me, signing in again to do something other than read about some of the nonsense going on.

Best,

Alex
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to be happy with TCK (The Cheapest Keyboard) from a Small Shop Right Behind the Corner.
I love those in range of 4-6$, gotta push the keys hard and deep to register a keystroke and they provide a decent feedback (not 100% accurate, but strong and close enough).
Like 7-8$ can get you something flat and with soft keys, which is probably what you are looking for.
Starting at 50$ you can get something almost as good as that 4$ one.

Those dirt cheap keyboards also last forever.
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: a decent keyboard Reply with quote

axl wrote:
...I'm tired of purchasing logitech products... I'm looking for one that works with a soft touch. ... anything you had for longer than 6 months and still works, I'd love to hear about it. ...

If you can use ps/2:

Everytime I buy a "better" keyboard I'm surprised to find that I actually prefer the touch of the cheapest keyboard I've ever bought. It's the HP Standard PS/2 104-Key Part Number: 434820-002. It has been in daily use for almost 3 years and seems rugged to me. I like the touch and I like the ps/2 responsiveness more than usb. I paid about $18 for it.

Another good keyboard is the Cherry G84-5500LPMEU-2 G84-5500 Keyboard 88-Key XS Touchpad PS2. Also ps/2, very nice feel with Cherry gold cross-point contact mechanical switches. I got it with the integrated touchpad because it was being sold for about $20 (probably because no one has two ps/2 ports anymore).

If you must have usb, have a look at Rosewill keyboards. I have a Rosewill Apollo with backlit mechanical Cherry MX Blue switches which seems to take a good pounding for 3 years now. It is too big, the feel is only decent. But it was fairly cheap $50 and serves me better than the $200 Logitech slim light-touch wonder keyboard which sits in the corner unused. My cat walks over this keyboard every day and sometimes types some interesting strings. If I leave the room I make sure to switch to a desktop where I am NOT logged in as root but someday she'll figure how to type M-n to switch desktops and THEN give me an interesting root command. The Logitech keyboard keys did not survive the cat.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These $5 keyboards cost $15 now at Amazon. Inflation, I guess. I still miss my old IBM keyboard, it was big and heavy and the buttons were just right, they made them 30+ years ago. :roll:
axl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, unfortunately PS/2 is no longer an option. USB only.

And yes, those old mechanical IBM keyboards... man they don't make em like that anymore. Unfortunately again, AT connection, no longer usable.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axl,

You don't have a PS/2 to USB doda?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
axl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy over the years most keyboards I have seen were USB, with an adapter usb to ps2. I only had one M$ keyboard that was PS2 with a duda to also connect to USB. either way, I think the keyboard itself has to "speak" usb for those adapters to work. And no chance in hell those old AT keyboards would work that way.
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
axl,

You don't have a PS/2 to USB doda?

I've been looking at the possibility of using a PCI -> 2-port ps2 card such as Semoic 2 Port ps2 low-profile pci card on a board that lacks ps2 ports. I'd be very interested to hear if such a card will be detected and present ps2 devices to the linux kernel. It would be worth the $15 for the card to gain access to some of the nice ps2 keyboards that are still available. N-key rollover and low-latency are advantages of a ps2 keyboard.

On a related note: Does anyone know where to buy a three-button mouse?? My best mouse friend is a HP usb 3-button mouse (no scroll wheel, three real buttons). Couln't live without it since I use the middle click a lot for X11 select and paste. Or is there a scroll wheel mouse with a useable middle click (without always getting superfluous scrolling events)?
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten to where I like my Anker mouse https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireless-Vertical-Ergonomic-Optical/dp/B00BIFNTMC
I moved the "middle" button from the scroll to the button near my thumb, works well for me.

If you don't like the style find a 4-5 button mouse you do like and move the middle click to one of the extra buttons.

As far as keyboards, it's hard to beat the old ibm models. And since I was curious

Quote:
An alternative would be to get a brand new Model M keyboard with a USB connection. They are still being manufactured, these days by Unicomp

Unicomp link @ amazon -> https://www.amazon.com/s?me=A2GLVWCFA1U5MG&qid=1478087739

I wasn't even aware that they were being built, I'm tempted to buy one for myself.
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
I've gotten to where I like my Anker mouse https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireless-Vertical-Ergonomic-Optical/dp/B00BIFNTMC
I moved the "middle" button from the scroll to the button near my thumb, works well for me. If you don't like the style find a 4-5 button mouse you do like and move the middle click to one of the extra buttons......

I was looking at a mouse like that last night, but I feared that it required the Windows "driver" to remap buttons. How would I map the thumb button to a middle click? I assume that would be done through my ~/.Xmodmap -- which is now empty as is my head about how to map mouse buttons...
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my xorg.conf

Code:
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev pointer catchall"
        MatchIsPointer "on"
# M510
#   Option "ButtonMapping" "1 9 3 4 5 6 7 8 2"
# Anker
    Option "ButtonMapping" "1 8 3 4 5 6 7 2 9"
    Driver "evdev"
    Option "Sensitivity" "0.25"
    Option "AccelerationProfile" "none"
    Option "AccelerationScheme" "none"
EndSection

Edit to add: if using another model then use "xev" to see which button is being pressed, then simply swap places with another in xorg's mapping.
axl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-pavilion-wireless-keyboard-and-mouse-800

I kinda gravitate towards this one. Or others of this type. But most seem to have a Fn button, functions switched. I know solaar can switch them back in X for logitech, but I have no idea how this hp would behave in linux.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a keyboard like this, I couldn't stand the function keys not grouped by four. Only a mouse user can design a keyboard like this.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it only me or it does that to you too?
i was using ms mouse (basic, 3 buttons, but i couldn't get my hands on them anymore in my local vendors), and they were dying because of pads in their bottom wear off with time.
now it's my 3 or 5 logitech mouse that show the symptom : click does double click, it's painful, and it happen way before the pads had time to be dead ; those logitech mouses are just shit?
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
# M510
# Option "ButtonMapping" "1 9 3 4 5 6 7 8 2"
# Anker
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 8 3 4 5 6 7 2 9"

So easy. Thanks.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krinn, I'm using a microsoft usb mouse and you are right. The pads have worn off. I haven't noticed because it slides well on my ancient (pre-1990) polished wood computer desk. The desk has a slot for fanfold paper. I just position my HP ENVY wireless printer over the slot.
Both the keyboard (PS/2) and mouse are Microsoft, only because it was the only brand I could get in white. I still have my Antec B-stock office white full tower case, although it has hosted many motherboards and at least two power supplies.
That MS mouse wheel works nicely for scrolling as well, but I usually move the mouse.
Looked up where I bought it:
"microsoft basic optical mouse 9/30/2012 CompUSA $16.34"
My other machines use HP cordless mice. I put rechargeable batteries in them and don't generally shut them off. When they get unresponsive I just switch with one off the charger.
Mostly HP USB keyboards. One old HP PS/2 keyboard connected to two machines in the basement. via a KVM switch. One machine running Win7 which I normally access via rdesktop, the other is my Gentoo server that i usually access via ssh (or portable puTTY from Windows XP). And the really ancient k6-3 mounted in an old Dell P-100 case, is running a HP keyboard salvaged from a cheapie mass-market computer via a PS/2 to AT connector. That one runs 32 bit Gentoo dual booting with Win 2000.
The Raspberry Pi is running something that came with it, but it's really hard to use. Sometimes I think my daughter got me the Pi to torment me. (Not really, she loves the Pi and does all sorts of things with it using python programs she writes. I hate python but it works out, she doesn't know even K&R C, so I write her C/C++ programs [for her laptop]and she writes python for me).

AXL, try a Microsoft or HP keyboard. Microsoft hardware is much better than their execrable software. Probably because it's probably someone else rebadged.

EDIT: Underside of keyboard says "Microsoft Wired Keyboard 200". Bought at same time as the mouse but the shift key doesn't work so well anymore.
axl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my mind based on that Fn thing. and functions buttons being grouped by 4. that's right. and measurements. I live in a metric world and no keyboard should be 11 cm in depth, I guess, if you look at it as a 3d object. I mean the height of the keyboard.

I have huge hands. they are great for basketball, but not very great for small keyboards.

I really dont get it. Why does this have to be so hard. It's like they are purposefully trying to make bad keyboards. I don't get it.

first of all what's with all the Fn stuff?

second. why do they hate the insert and delete keys from the normal layout?

third, why do they hate numpad?

forth, why do they hate arrow keys and page up and down and home and end. wtf is wrong with these people?!

fifth what was wrong with the function keys which actually have functions, instead of weird hid drivers for your app starters. wtf.

why is this so hard? I just want a normal freaking keyboard. tomorrow is monday... Ima gonna hit the stores on foot and the first keyboard I see that fits my hands ima get that. shopping online for keyboards is just a nightmare. every product I liked had like 10 1 star reviews. "my ctrl broke after a week". "my this that or the other". it's obvious these things are perishable, or consumables. which is not what a keyboard used to be.
axl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still remember my 286 keyboard. It was a standard keyboard. It worked. I still have it somewhere.

Now... in terms of technicalities... I wouldn't want that keyboard. People who played games dual screen in the 90's know why.

As great as they are mechanically those old keyboards, they do have technical limitations. Like when you play Mortal Kombat (:D i'm smiling just thinking about it), and one player does 2-3-4 keys at the time, and the other players tries to do the same... there's gonna be conflict. because those old keyboards can't handle so many key presses at the same time and some are going to be ignored. which results into a very unhappy little player breaking said keyboard on the back on the other player. while he is grinning. and the attack made no difference. he still took his time to gather himself and say: "yeah it was the keyboard". I hated him. And IT WAS THE KEYBOARD!!!

Now i know what happened to my 286 keyboard. I broke it on my friend, which constantly used shift and ctrl to block my numpad keys. Man... those were some epic years. I remember one time, my parents left town for the weekend, and we played NFSIISE with a voodoo2. from thursday till sunday. we left for basketball on sunday afternoon, and we were hearing engines and were jumping randomly around the basketball court to avoid being run over by a car. just ptsd from playing NFS for 3 days and nights straight, big screen with voodoo, creative awe, and large large large speakers. That was the precursor to that keyboard's death.

and now, I try to control a chernobyl sized machine/network with a K400 logitech all in one keyboard. which in all honesty looks like me trying to feet lady panties. it is a show... but nothing is getting done. although based on the number of backspaces I had to use in this post I think the elephant is learning to dance around the tiny tiny tiny keys.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axl wrote:
second. why do they hate the insert and delete keys from the normal layout?

I could answer this one :)
Because keyboard layout is base on used keys in a typing workflow ; and considering you are typing from left to right, it makes no sense to have easy access to insert and delete key, while it makes one to have access to backspace to correct mistake while typing.
It's also why we french have azerty keyboard, we have barely no use of qs or sq, but sa or as is common for us (in azerty keyboard base range is made of qsdf), so it ease typing that they are not lined up in the same range.
For the story, you might have never notice the dots on f and j keys, they are made to help positioning your fingers
axl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
Because keyboard layout is base on used keys in a typing workflow ; and considering you are typing from left to right, it makes no sense to have easy access to insert and delete key, while it makes one to have access to backspace to correct mistake while typing.

No, I don't believe you can.

I get that keyboards should be easy to use and that there may be regional variations from the qwerty 102 keys standard.

BUT why completely remove insert and delete keys? apple keyboards just don't have esc. microsoft keyboards simply hate insert and delete button. which is weird because delete is necessary for ctrl+alt+delete. like 30-40% of all keyboards just hate the function keys. dont have them. have to use the dreadful Fn button, which some of them don't even bother to put on the right. so if you're a linux guy trying to do alt+f2 to switch to tty2, you have to have 2 thumbs on your left hand. i'm not saying fn on the right is better, but it is slightly a little better. you have to take you mouse hand off ... whatever. at least you can you the right thumb.

And what's with the home/end/pageup/pagedown on arrows with Fn as well. why do keyboards have to be so tiny. 40 cm over 10 cm. that's not enough cm. A keyboard should have at least 60/20 cm.

But they don't. I've been reviewing hundreds of keyboards. On the off chance one is usb and has all the keys, and seems to be big enough... there will be at least 10 1 star reviews of people saying they bought that thing and are complaining it died on them in less than 6 months. So off to the next one. I tried going to actual physical stores in the real world, but that didn't help at all.

I shopped the entirety of the system in less than an hour. CPU, mobo, gpu, memory, sdd, psu. choosing a keyboard seems like an impossible task. I never knew how many cartoonish "gaming" keyboards there are, until I actually tried to find one that isn't.

The more I think about it, now, after 3 days wasted just browsing keyboards, I think i'll go back to my old one. If I hate to buy another keyboard for just 6 months, at least buy one that you're comfortable with. And K800 is perfect. Only if it wasn't so flimsy. Using the old one is so depressing. Buttons jumping out of the socket when you press them. But at least it's the right layout, and size. Neah... powering through... I'll find a better one... I hope. Funny thing, there's no shortage of shops to browse...
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A radical thought, visit a brick and mortar store. They should have basic keyboards and you can easily look at them.
axl
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
A radical thought, visit a brick and mortar store. They should have basic keyboards and you can easily look at them.

I don't think we have those in Romania. What exactly are they? I only heard that expression about construction. Is that like a pawn shop?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: