[SOLVED] sudo issue after removing pam
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] sudo issue after removing pam Reply with quote

I added -pam to my make.conf useflags, emerged -aUv, and rebooted. now I have trouble with:
Code:
tony@MSI /etc $ sudo cat /var/log/messages
sudo: account validation failure, is your account locked?

Package sudo doesn't even depend on pam.

The message also appears when I try it in a virtual terminal, not only in a GUI desktop.

Reboot from the MATE menu also doesn't work, but after MATE logs out it is easy to just CTL-ALT_F1 followed by CTL-ALT-DEL

"meld" also does work but I think that is a gtk issue from the error message.

So is pam indeed a required program? Old forum posts by respected members indicate that it is not required for a home computer.

Last edited by Tony0945 on Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a use flag

Code:
- - pam       : Add support for PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) - DANGEROUS to arbitrarily flip

From the ebuild, inside src_install
Code:
    pamd_mimic system-auth sudo auth account session

You'd have to chase what it does in the pam eclass,

I would imagine some files are left from having it installed with pam in the first place.

You might remove sudo completely, edepclean everything, then try and reinstall sudo to see if that fixes it.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a system without pam and use sudo heavily.
But I remember that I also almost broke my system when removing pam: You must rebuild everything with USE=-pam, and also some packages which did not have pam in their IUSE needed a rebuild; problem was that some of these packages were so basic that it was impossible to re-emerge them without temporarily still having pam.
Concerning the sudo-problem, I would expect that a simple re-emerge with USE=-pam is sufficient.
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your wish to remove pam related to virtual/pam being hard-masked?

If that's the case: there's no need to remove pam. virtual/pam was hard-masked because developers want to remove Gentoo/FreeBSD, not because they want to remove pam. See: https://bugs.gentoo.org/683284
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
Is your wish to remove pam related to virtual/pam being hard-masked?

Yes, it was.

mv, will try "emerge -e wotld" as root
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reemerge world resulted in five packages failing to build. lm-sensors, wine-vanilla, palemoon, libmatekbd, abiword
Non of these should have affected sudo. What did work was not re-emerging sudo and everything in the chain, but unmasking latest sudo and emerging it.

mike155: devs have masked virtual/pam but have not issued new ebuilds for the packages that depend on it. I will add virtual/sudo to overlay.
The alternative is to add the five ebuilds that depend on it to overlay, substituting sys-libs/pam for virtual/pam. Easier to move one virtual.

lm-sensors required some surgery to patch names ( _ to -)
wine-vanilla required the removal of eselect-wine, removal of all files generated by the ebuild and re-emerging eselect-wine. Then wine-vanilla built ok. It had just died during install when updating the selections. Palemoon (not in the Gentoo tree) seems to be building with -j1 instead of -j16, but very very sloooowly.
Abiword won't build and neither will top of the tree abiword. I'll open a seperate ticket on that.
meld built but fails at run-time. I'd like a non-python replacement.
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, is this the reason why some things which used to run as root after prompting for password, no longer launch from shortcut, but need to be run from command line as root?

Thanks, Ian
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like gparted? I don;t think so. I always had to do that with pam as well.
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
like gparted? I don;t think so. I always had to do that with pam as well.

In my case, Etherape (network monitoring/visualisation), and Bat (Bacula backup software) .. used to be able to run them from their icon or from the menu (KDE), but not at the moment.

Thanks, Ian
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandoug wrote:
In my case, Etherape (network monitoring/visualisation), and Bat (Bacula backup software) .. used to be able to run them from their icon or from the menu (KDE), but not at the moment.

As was suggested to me in the other thread rebuilding everything solved the logout problem.

emerge -e @world

Or less drastic:
emerge -e kde etherape bat

If that doesn't work, accept defeat and selectively enable pam for those two applications in package.use

I'm not familiar with kde but it's possible that like gnome, the assumption of pam is built in and can't be removed without major surgery.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandoug wrote:
Um, is this the reason why some things which used to run as root after prompting for password, no longer launch from shortcut, but need to be run from command line as root?

That depends, did you actually disable pam USE flag or just removed virtual/pam?
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is getting annoying.

I don't know what is broken, nor how to fix it.

I have tolerated running bat (Bacula backup software GUI) from command line, but can't get Unetbootin to behave.

Previously I could just run it from the menus and it worked.

Now if I do that, it says it must be run as root and gives me some weird command to use.

If I try that, then the file selection dialogue does not work.

It also prints these messages in the terminal (and others) (bat also prints this):

Code:

QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /var/run/user/1000, 1000 instead of 0

(this is when logged in as root in terminal).

What does it mean and how do I fix it?

And why are these things that USED to work, now broken?

Thanks, Ian
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that still without pam? Otherwise, the unetbootin issue is a different topic and you probably just need a tool like kdesu (part of kde-cli-tools) to run it instead. This is documented.
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Is that still without pam? Otherwise, the unetbootin issue is a different topic and you probably just need a tool like kdesu (part of kde-cli-tools) to run it instead. This is documented.

Okay I recompiled kde-plasma/kde-cli-tools with flags kdesu X, and after tweaking the GUI commands, both bat and unetbootin work as they used to.

Shouldn't this changed requirement have been a news item?

Thanks, Ian
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do you think this has changed? Iirc you haven't been able to 'properly' run Qt based applications as root (as in: not using kdesu) since Qt4.
iandoug
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
When do you think this has changed? Iirc you haven't been able to 'properly' run Qt based applications as root (as in: not using kdesu) since Qt4.

Was broken for me about a week or two (possibly a bit more) before Thu Oct 17 (or thereabouts) .... stopped working after some update, don't know which,

Only things I run occasionally that require root are Bat or EtherApe (and unetbootin, seldom run), and don't run those every day, so would not have noticed immediately it was broken.

Thanks, Ian
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news item would have been written more than a decade ago, there was no recent change. If it worked for you, then by chance. Maybe unetbootin ebuild should add a postinst message to inform you about it, but that's not my call to make.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: