Cloning a remote installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
christoph_peter_s
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Cloning a remote installation Reply with quote

Dear fellow gentooers,

I want to install Gentoo on an Orange Pi Zero, which is armv7a without floating point support by some graphics card (like raspi). The basic procedure according to the wiki is to get hold of U-Boot and boot files (Kernel + some odds and ends), and then copy an armv7a stage 3 into the new root directory. But that stage 3 is not really up to date and requires a lengthy update after the first installation.

But I do have a running Cubietruck machine, which should be a perfect source for copying an updated system. The Cubietruck is however running in my weekend appartment, i.e. I have no physical access to it. But I have an OpenVPN connection. So if I could copy the necessary files from the running system, e.g. over night, then it would be great.

I looked around a bit, and found, that rsync might do the job, e.g. by
Code:
rsync -avhPHAXx --exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/var/tmp/*","/lost+found/*"} root@distantserver:/* /mnt/sdb2

Where it is assumed, that the new root directory is mounted to /mnt/sdb2.

Would that do the trick? Or do I miss something possibly important.
It is clear, that I will need to do some adaptions later on. But that's OK. I would just follow the standard installation documentation to avoid forgetting something.

I do have physical access to a Raspi running Gentoo. But that is compiled with the Neon flag, which should render its binaries useless for my purpose.

Best regards
Peter

PS: I got that bunch of options from here: https://superuser.com/questions/709176/how-to-best-clone-a-running-system-to-a-new-harddisk-using-rsync
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

christoph_peter_s,

You may not copy open files. Well you can but you won't like the result.
At the far end, quickpkg the packages you want to install.

Copy over those binary packages and use emerge -K to do the update.

It will help is you use identical portage repos at both ends too.

quickpkg isn't perfect. It packages what it finds when it runs, so you get all the files you have modified since you installed.
By default, it will not copy security sensitve files like /etc/shadow (password hashes) but you can tell it to do that if you really want to.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: