Common All-in_one Prnters used by Gentoo Users[Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Common All-in_one Prnters used by Gentoo Users[Solved] Reply with quote

Over the last couple of years I've had trouble with the Brother printer I have.

Users ago I had a Kyocera Mita printer that was postscript capable and was not trouble.

I think HP had supported postscript well so I'm looking at those. I'm also looking at a color laser printer.

I'd like to pose a question to other Gentoo users as to what All-in-One Printers from HP they use for
long term. The HP LaserJet Pro M281fdw is one that has been suggested by a supplier. Another
that may be one to consider is the HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M479fdw.

I use to be a CAD designer and it was very convenient to do check prints on legal size sheets so that
would be an important consideration as well.

I'd appreciate feedback from others on this.

One last remark, I was just reminded of the great resource Gentoo users are. This is a great place to inquire!

EDIT:

I finally found the solution. As with any more complex printer making it work with be more complex.

After many searches, I discovered that in CUPS setting default options listed as "Set Printer Options."
HPLIP drivers had been installed, but not until I wen to this it included Media Size, Collate, Two-sided,
Paper feed. The two sided option gave Off, Long-Side binding or Short-side binding.

I selected Long-Side and once I did Openoffice, Libreoffice and Okular gave me options for the various
print jobs I do. There is a learning curve as I do landscape and portrait printing. All that was under Printers
in the configured M477fdn setup. It's grand to have a duplex printer!

One problem I did have was not understanding two-side. That's another discussion, but setting long or short
may invert the text on the back side of a page.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell

Last edited by A.S. Pushkin on Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
fturco
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't know any HP printer model to recommend according to your requirements, but I'd like to ask you if you care about having to install proprietary firmware for the printer to work (net-print/hplip-plugin). There are models that work fine without any firmware, but they are not easy to find.
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're naming two laser printers, so i'm not sure it that's a hard requirement for you, but i'm using a HP OfficeJet Pro 6970. I selected it after opening a topic here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1073716.html

It uses no binary-only stuff and works perfectly. Its works with hplip and uses cups to print and sane to scan. The only bug i encountered so far is that scanning seems to be working for local systems only, so not over the network. I made a patch for that which is also attached in that topic.
It's actually already getting a bit old, so you might be able to get it with a nice discount nowadays.

Mod edit: Corrected URL. — JRG

My shared code repository: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org
Music, Free as in Freedom: https://www.jamendo.com
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned HP as I have been convinced that HP is more supportive of Unix-like systems.

My Brother DCP-7020 use to work simply by installing CUPS, but that stopped a couple of years ago.
I have two laptops and one has OpenSUSE and the other Linux Mint. (I chose those due to the ease of installing BricsCAD.
It's a great program and installs easily on those distros. Not free, but I do recommend it for anyone, who needs a
real CAD program. I do use Blender as well, by the way.)

So I thank you for your input.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a HP ENVY 5055 and a HP ENVY 4520. They seem to work OK in either wireless mode or USB mode. They seem to want to use some Apple protocol for strangers on the street to use so I have wifi turned off and use them in USB mode. I used to have an Officejet 2610, it had a wired ethernet and a USB connector. I used ethernet and it was excellent for both printing and scanning. Eventually, I couldn't find print cartridges for less than the cost of buying another printer. I tried KMart refilled cartridges but it refused to recognize them.

I think Officejet will fill your needs better than Deskjet.

A very long time ago I had a Cannon B/W printer but I have no idea how modern Cannon's are. I'd like to use something other than hp and escape the proprietary hplip package. But it is in portage.

EDIT:
Spellings and extraneous number characters.
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to be a big fan of HP printers. While searching for an all-in-one that is Linux compatible
one of the HP printers was flagged by one owner as not long term durable and reliable.

My main concern is one that is postscript. These ease of getting my old Kyocea Mita was easy to
get running under Gentoo. Set up CUPS drop in the PPD file and we were on our way.

So I'm still looking for a good all-in-one, color. Looking for the best suggestions.

fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently buy a HP OfficeJet Pro 8024 All-in-One (sorry no laser for me) and with hplip the printring and scanning (via network) work out of the box.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.S. Pushkin wrote:
While searching for an all-in-one that is Linux compatible
one of the HP printers was flagged by one owner as not long term durable and reliable.

My experience is that the ink will be unavailable long before the printer fails.
I suppose your environment and usage makes a difference. Mine is in a temperature controlled suburban home (i.e. both heat and A/C) by a single user for copying and printing for personal use, no big batch jobs. If you regularly print flyers or mass mailings for a club or home business, I would look at business models instead of home models. I recently (within the last year) disposed of an old Officejet for which ink was no longer available (refills didn't work). I was still usable as a scanner (and I suppose a fax, I never faxed).

The ink thing is a problem. So is the wireless always trying to phone home. I banned them (I have one on each floor of my house, I really only need one) from my LAN and attach them via USB. I would greatly prefer an ethernet port like the old Officejet had.
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Canon i-SENSYS MFC8230 all-in-one laser printer. I can print and scan over network and my local computer store still sells laser ink cartridges even though it's pretty old model. I use cnrdrvcups-lb for printing, and SANE_BACKENDS="pixma" for scanning.

The only problem that usually arises is the slow driver release of Canon. So usually after a GLIBC update or so, the drivers stop working, and downgrading GLIBC in Gentoo is nearly impossible. But luckily Googling usually helps, and Arch Linux's pages are helpful too.
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally got a printer. It is not new and came off lease. HP M475fdn color laser.

With the HPLIP software it works well though I'm not yet able to duplex print or have not figured out
how to.

I'm wondering if there is some way to make this a pseudo wireless printer via my wireless router?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.S. Pushkin wrote:
Well, I finally got a printer. It is not new and came off lease. HP M475fdn color laser.
I'm wondering if there is some way to make this a pseudo wireless printer via my wireless router?

I use an HP CP1700 attached by USB cable to a Raspberry Pi running CUPS under Arch, with Ethernet cable to my router, and thereby any device on my network can print using the appropriate URL. I added AVAHI support, which makes enables auto-discovery, but decided I neither needed nor wanted it, so I pulled it; YMMV. I've tried doing similar with an antique AGFA Snapscan scanner; though that seems to hiccup at startup, it works over the network the second time of asking.

As a Pi only takes ~8W, I don't mind leaving it running 24x7; I update the Arch stack about quarterly; the Pi seems unbreakable. More modern Pi's than mine include support WiFi, so you wouldn't necessarily use a cable.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your printer has wired ethernet as my old officejet did, you can use a wireless bridge. I used to use a DLink DAP-1522. Since then I ran a cat-6 cable to the room.
jesnow
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had many hp and brother printers, but one common problem:

Every time I want to print I have to debug Cups. If I also want to scan I have to debug Sane. Scan-signing anything is an unremitting nightmare, because it's usually under time pressure. And printing and scanning are always broken. Brother only provides .rpm and .deb driver packages.

Could we someday at least have drivers that can actively test the ability to submit jobs to the printer every so often? Instead the job goes out, nothing happens and it just sits silently in the print queue with a cryptic "file BR12345: Not found". Heavens why would I want to know that a print job failed or why? Lets just let it sit there until somebody notices.

Let me see, turn up logging level, restart cups. Find missing or broken file, figure out where it came from and where it belongs. Get file. Doesn't work. Keep trying.

The state of linux printing is one of its big drawbacks.

Jon
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had to fix cups etc. when doing network printing. But I have had usability issues arising from the default settings, and the way cups handles changes of medium.

First, cups default seems to be to stop a printer on errors; for network use, I prefer it to continue with the next print job.

Second, IIUC a cups printer will only handle one paper size at a time. So printing say an A5 document to a printer set for A4 printing means the print job is paused (and probably in a different queue. but I've never bothered to dig into this stuff). I can see where the cups developers are coming from - their use case is an office printer that's been stacked with a couple of reams of A4 (or letter) paper, and printing a different size page needs a call to the printer support desk. Whereas we've a printer on a desk, with no paper in it until we put it there, so we want the printer to start flashing "FEED ME A4".

Dunno is that's relevant or helpful, or if anyone can suggest a better configuraton/print driver/tao.
AJM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesnow wrote:
I have had many hp and brother printers, but one common problem:

Every time I want to print I have to debug Cups. If I also want to scan I have to debug Sane. Scan-signing anything is an unremitting nightmare, because it's usually under time pressure. And printing and scanning are always broken. Brother only provides .rpm and .deb driver packages.

I long ago gave up on scanning via Parallel or USB - scanning to a SAMBA share always works very reliably for me.
A.S. Pushkin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose a HP Color Laserjet M477fdn, which came off lease. I'm running it from USB though I'm tempted to use the
Ethernet with my wireless router to try to get wireless printing.

Seems to work well and I have the latest plugin and drivers, but no duplex printing
except when copying.

I; running with a laptop running Linux Mint 19.3 as well as Gentoo and neither allows duplex
from OpenOffice or LibreOffice. It's not bad to hand feed, much easier than my Brother all-in-one,
but it would be nice to get duplex.

I'm wondering if it is just drivers?

Thanks.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: