Kernel ALSA
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QPegasus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Kernel ALSA Reply with quote

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but...

I'm using kernel 2.6 with ALSA compiled in. What I'm wondering is, should I be compiling apps (for example, xine) with the ALSA USE flag set, or is this only required when ALSA is installed as a module?

The reason I ask is, the description of the USE flag says it adds support for alsa-lib. However, since I have ALSA compiled into my kernel, there is no alsa-lib on my system.
blueworm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question.
You need to install alsa-lib and alsa-utils
Install latest version. 0.9.8

As far as compilling xine-lib goes yes you will need to add alsa as a USE variable but the problem is it will try and emerge alsa-driver. which you dont need since you are using 2.6 kernel.

Do it this way, first make sure all the deps are satisfied...
then
Code:
USE="alsa" emerge xine-lib --nodeps

That way you dont install an inferior version of alsa-driver that you dont need.
QPegasus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response.

Actually, it didnt try to install the alsa driver. Maybe portage is smarter than we think. :)

What exactly does alsa-lib do?

Since I started using 2.6 a few weeks ago, sound has worked fine without having to emerge alsa-lib or re-emerge anything. The reason I started this thread was more about curiosity, since I was upgrading to a newer xine and wondered if the alsa USE flag would be beneficial.
jmoeller
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QPegasus wrote:
Thanks for the response.

Actually, it didnt try to install the alsa driver. Maybe portage is smarter than we think. :)

What exactly does alsa-lib do?

Since I started using 2.6 a few weeks ago, sound has worked fine without having to emerge alsa-lib or re-emerge anything. The reason I started this thread was more about curiosity, since I was upgrading to a newer xine and wondered if the alsa USE flag would be beneficial.

Xine's been working fine for me, as well, with 2.6 ALSA. I think the USE flags are not only beneficial, but necessary, because it allows xine to use the mixer controls that are part of alsa (e.g. the PCM volume, etc.). Without alsa-utils and alsa-libs you wouldn't be able to control the volume from within xine. Otherwise, you'd be stuck w/arts (bleeeechhh!).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: