Upwork desktop app on Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BruceG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Upwork desktop app on Gentoo Reply with quote

I had been using the Upwork desktop app for several months. I've been running the current version, 5.2.3.771 since at least August 5. On Friday, towards the end of my day, it displayed an error that the network was offline and it couldn't connect. During that time I was able to use the web site just fine, so the network is definitely not offline. Since that point, I have been unable to do anything productive through the app. The time tracker reports "Connection Lost". If I delete the .Upwork directory, there is no option to log in again, so that's not much help.

There is a newer version, 5.3.3.848, as reported in this bug, but it just sits and spins on startup, consuming 100% CPU and doing nothing. This has the same behavior either with or without the .Upwork directory present. This version does work on my Ubuntu laptop, but that's not what I need to get work done.

So, is anybody here successfully using the Upwork desktop app on Gentoo Linux?
Makersmarx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same issue and my ebuild wouldn't work either. I submitted a bug report, but they had the same results with the version bump https://bugs.gentoo.org/699906. I also submitted the information to tech support @ UpWork in hopes they could assist, but my guess is once they finally reply all they will say is to upgrade Upwork and that Gentoo is not supported. I have been working from my Arch machine in the mean time with the newest version of Upwork installed and no issues.
BruceG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it working again. There was a "patchelf" command in the ebuild that appears to have been breaking newer versions of the "upwork" binary. Removing that line from the ebuild makes 5.3.3.848 work again. I've updated bug 699906.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: