Installing Wine : 32 bits
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Installing Wine : 32 bits Reply with quote

Hello guys,

Still new to Gentoo but i learn a lot by myself making mistakes but learning from it.

Here's a question in order to learn better about Wine installation on Gentoo. I did install without any major issue but when i started the installation i noticed on this page : https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wine
that it would be better to install 32 bits version on package basis rather than install 32 bits software globally.
Unfortunately, i installed Wine, having in my global USE : ABI_X86="32 64"

So should i uninstall wine and remove ABI_X86="32 64" from USE, and reinstall Wine ? But doing so, what about the files that have been installed with 32 bits version ? How can switch them back to 64 bits ?

If any can help me understand, i would be able to fix it, so be able to love Gentoo more than ever ;)

Thanks,

Shiru
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you change ABI_X86 (or others use flag globally) with emerge -UD @world you rebuild affected package.
man emerge wrote:
--changed-use, -U
Tells emerge to include installed packages where USE flags have changed since installation. This option also implies the --selective option. Unlike
--newuse, the --changed-use option does not trigger reinstallation when flags that the user has not enabled are added or removed.

NOTE: This option ignores the state of the "test" USE flag, since that flag has a special binding to FEATURES="test" (see make.conf(5) for more infor‐
mation about FEATURES settings)..

Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Wine : 32 bits Reply with quote

Shiru wrote:
So should i uninstall wine and remove ABI_X86="32 64" from USE, and reinstall Wine ? But doing so, what about the files that have been installed with 32 bits version ? How can switch them back to 64 bits ?

There's no point in doing that. All you will save is a bit of work for portage when you update your system - it's building 32-bit support in some modules you might never use. But it saves you having to add in 32-bit support later if you discover you need it.

For an example, I run wine installed with the minimum set of 32-bit modules. I would like to enable scanner support in wine - it's a USE flag that defaults to "off". changing to USE="scanner" and running "emerge --changed-use @world" tells me I need to recompile several packages with 32-bit support. You won't have that problem!
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing Wine : 32 bits Reply with quote

Shiru wrote:
But doing so, what about the files that have been installed with 32 bits version ? How can switch them back to 64 bits ?
A file is either 32-bit or 64-bit, but not both[1]. A package can be both 32-bit and 64-bit if it installed both 32-bit files and 64-bit files. You installed packages with both 32-bit and 64-bit files, which is a (tiny) waste of space if you don't need the 32-bit files and a moderate waste of compilation time building 32-bit code you don't need. You are not missing any 64-bit files that you need, although you may have 32-bit files you don't need. As Goverp says, now that you have the files, you are probably better off keeping them, since eliminating them properly requires rebuilding the affected package with ABI_X86=64. You could choose to change ABI_X86 and then not rebuild those packages now, but let Portage drop 32-bit support from the package the next time you happen to rebuild it for other reasons.

[1] For our purposes. There are some exotic setups where that is not true, but if you were using one of those, you would know about it.
Shiru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu, Goverp and fedeliallalinea, thanks a lot for your explanations.

Unfortunately, before viewing Goverp and Hu's replies, i decided to remove ABI_X86="32 64" from USE, then i unmerge Wine, to finally (this morning) compile again (109 packages).
Wine did not disappear from XFCE Whisker Menu (and i don't get it !).

Let me ask new questions : in this situation, if installing Wine again with having ABI_X86="32 64" flag in /etc/portage/make.conf will get me a better clean system, i would install it again. Or, maybe should i stay like this, with no new changes.

Honestly, i don't really need Wine, it was just more about a challenge to install it, but i wanted to try some Windows applications on Gentoo like Adobe Softwares. But i don't definitely need Wine on this system.

Thanks again for your time.

Shiru
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: