View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fissile
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Gnome vs Kde who wins...? Reply with quote

hey all... i think i have asked this before not sure... that how much memory with kde take if i decided to install it aswell along with gnome that i already have...

i think some great soul said that it would be 285 mb which is not a big deal for me.. can someone confirm this?

also if i do decide to get kde aswell.. what do i do simply type "emerge kde"?... would i need to reconfigure anythign.. i am thinking.. /etc/make.conf where i have use parameters set to -kde and -qt... can someon tell me exactly what to do? or better yet if their is a tutorial explaining this that would be great to refer...

also i hear somethign about just the base installation of kde how much space would that take... and how do i go around getting that...

thxxxxxxx
MacMasta
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only people who win on that question are the flamers.

I like KDE better; it actually *does* some of the things windows was trying to do with integrating everything into the browser, and does it well. (fish:// and audiocd:// are esp. nice)

Gnome is less integrated in that sense, but is arguably prettier.

With that said, I have the libs installed for both and use fluxbox; I tend to choose my applications based on the app, not on whether it's a 'kde app' or a 'gnome app'.

~Mac~
bleakcabal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually your topic suggest a flame war between gnome and kde ( which can be a pretty volatile subject on some boards ).

The second poster seems to have just read the topic and not your post judging from his reply.

This is akin to saying : SEX sells !!!
And then writing a publicity message...
Fissile
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.. i specifically chose thoe topics so taht ppl would visit the post and answer my question... but once again i have no answers to my question... :(
MacMasta
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, fine, make me actually read posts.

Sheesh.

:-p

Umm, try the desktop guide. y'know, the 'documentation'? It's good stuff.

~Mac~
bleakcabal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually altough gimmicky post titles can attrack posters, many poeple will either :
1: avoid those posts thinking they are flame bait
2: avoid those posts because they are bored to death of them
3: make it a point not to awnser the poster original's question because of the gimmicky nature of the post title
4: read the post prepared to post about their fav. DE and when they see the post has nothing to do with it turn away in disgust
5: read the post prepared to post about their fav. DE and when they see the post has nothing to do post replies like these that don't awnser the actual question on purpose
kevmille
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE is good if you are coming over from Windows XP. I actually used the KDE desktop on a Sun Solaris Unix box and with Red Hat. Gnome is good but I sort of got used to KDE.
J.M.I.T.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleakcabal wrote:
Well actually altough gimmicky post titles can attrack posters, many poeple will either :
1: avoid those posts thinking they are flame bait
2: avoid those posts because they are bored to death of them
3: make it a point not to awnser the poster original's question because of the gimmicky nature of the post title
4: read the post prepared to post about their fav. DE and when they see the post has nothing to do with it turn away in disgust
5: read the post prepared to post about their fav. DE and when they see the post has nothing to do post replies like these that don't awnser the actual question on purpose

kevmille wrote:
KDE is good if you are coming over from Windows XP. I actually used the KDE desktop on a Sun Solaris Unix box and with Red Hat. Gnome is good but I sort of got used to KDE.

6: read the post prepared to post about their fav. DE, see it's about something completely different, ignore the actual question and post about their favourite DE....

that's funny :lol:
Use at own risk...
patson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: memory requirement? Reply with quote

I don't believe you mean "memory" when you say 285mb - I know KDE and GNOME are memory hogs, but sheez :D

...seriously, try both and see what suits you. Compiling both will only take, like, 24 hours if uniterrupted... :)

About how to emerge... why don't you think, try and test for yourself? Then, if your experiments crash and burn time after time you come ask us for help? Just a suggestion...

edit: this said, since you already answered your own question in the first post.
malloc
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've used them both and the winner of that clash is undoubtly...
(drumrolls)...
Fluxbox of course :)
Gnome and KDE are way way over-bloated DE's that try to put everything in and end out having a very mem and cpu consuming performance wich doesn't really satisfy my needs (but then again that's just my opinion).
Although from the two i would probably say Gnome is the winner, because even with its mucho inflated apps it can be more mem/cpu friendly than KDE.
monotux
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beeing a flamer, I would like to crown gnome as the king of the pack.
KDE is nice to thouse who uses XP and love that plastic glossy look, while gnome suits the people who uses win2k (I use XP but with the classic look :-)), or the people who love real eyecandy - like Mac OSX-themes etc. etc :-)
I suppose KDE is a bit more of a multimedia-platform, but I think it uses lots and lots of RAM - kalarm, arts and a few hundred other stupid programs.

Edit:
I would like to spread the light of openbox3 to the people. Right now, I'm running 54 procs, with 4 users logged in, but I'm using 100 MBytes of my ram - that gives me 400 MBytes to waste on enemy territory :-D
Anime_Fan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retribrute wrote:
Edit:
I would like to spread the light of openbox3 to the people. Right now, I'm running 54 procs, with 4 users logged in, but I'm using 100 MBytes of my ram - that gives me 400 MBytes to waste on enemy territory :-D

You do that, while I'm happily having:
2 Gnome sessions (one for VNC, one for using)
2 Fluxbox Sessions (One for TV-Out, One for et)

You know what? I have over 600+MB RAM left for et... ;)

As for the initial question:
Why install KDE along with your nice little Gnome? Any applications you decide to install, you can use from within Gnome. emerge would automatically install the KDE-libs needed. (And if you don't mind the KDE/qt stuff, add qt and kde to your use variables).

Otherwise, I think you would do fine with emerge kde-base or whatever the package is called.
dabooty
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll be trying to stay out of the flames and answer the question :D

i think if you start using kde next to gnome you will have to include +kde and +qt and +arts in your use flags. Probably some stuff compiled before you installed kde will be compiled without kde support so it will warrant a recompile.
try an emerge -pv to see the use flags that are applied to a package to see which packages have a kde use flag
Code:
emerge -epv world | grep +kde

should give you a list of packages that can be compiled with a kde use flag. you might recompile those if you want to be sure everything on your box makes use of your new +kde flag
registered user #284425
get yourself counted
http://counter.li.org
------
#emerge -pv solves a lot of questions beforehand
Fissile
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thxx all .. for the info... i am just gonna try to install kde and fluxbox now .. at the same time.. hope it doesn't take too much harddrive space.. is their nyway however to switch between gnome and kde and fluxbox without editing config files... thx...
cylgalad
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use kdm/gdm...
Change DISPLAYMANAGER in /etc/rc.conf, and rc-update add xdm default and /etc/init.d/xdm start (all of this as root of course).

Btw kde will take much HDD space (/usr/kde/3.1 is 444M on my main PC) and a long time to build.
not_registered
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everybody
Fissile
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahan.. thx
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retribrute wrote:

Right on. Though I'll take Battle of Wesnoth over ET; my display gear is kind of old 'n busted.
Mr. Hahn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer gnome just because I never really use any of the kde apps, and I have always hated kde for being really laggy. Though I can;t say I completely like gnome though, I use openbox for the windows manager because I have never been able to run a stable setup of gnome with whatever windows manager it came stock with (yeah, but this openbox stuff is really good).
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Hahn wrote:
I prefer gnome just because I never really use any of the kde apps, and I have always hated kde for being really laggy.

In my experience, kde apps take much longer to load in non-KDE environments. This is natural in terms of KDE's architecture since there is a lot of interconnectivity between applications.

In terms of raw performance of Qt and GTK apps, Qt3 is faster than GTK2, but is slower than GTK1. Performance is a big key for me, and is why I use mostly KDE or Qt apps. Back in the GTK1 days, I used to use primarily GNOME and Gtk apps (and ran GNOME 1.4), which were faster than Qt 2.x equivalents.
Fissile
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to put my 2 cents in.. just because i am hearing good stuff about Gnome... in my experince... Gnome is a lot faster and I tottally agree with the apps being a clog for most users
Fissile
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh one more thing since i am hearing a lot of good stuff about openbox3 i would like to give it a try.. is it in portage... should i just "emerge openbox"?
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gnome vs Kde who wins...?

The end user wins, that's who. Choice is good.
Mr. Hahn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, when im in kde it feels like im in windows, and I;d much rather use windows since Microsoft does a better job at the whole integration thing (and the speed thing, and the memory managment thing). I use linux to have something different, if I wanted something that was like windows I would rather just run windows since it is more well done in that respect.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, it looks like Gnome is winning...

Which is a bit of a pity because KDE has a wonderful architecture. Just Gnome looks the part. I think the next few releases of each DE will see them playing catch up with eachother - KDE will address clutter and usablity issues and Gnome will be getting it's architecture back up to a level that matches KDE.

They're both wonderful projects. I hope they're both going strong for many years to come. An honourable draw!

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: