Linux components for a home desktop used in DIY electronics
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoGeorge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Linux components for a home desktop used in DIY electronics Reply with quote

The intent is to pick the necessary software components to build a Gentoo used as a home desktop (for one user), but also used in EE design (Electrical Engineering): microcontrollers, FPGA, analog electronics, PCB and so on.

Existing hardware (won't be changed): i7-4790K, 32GB RAM, nVidia + Intel GPU (both are used), 4 various monitors (3 connected to nVidia, 1 to Intel), 1 SSD, a few SATA disks, 2 LAN cards

Must have:
- 1. ZFS on root. (mainly to make snapshots before tinkering with the OS, then roll-back if something goes wrong <--- Can ZFS snapshots on root work as a rollback mechanism for the whole OS?)
- 2. No systemd, no udev
- 3. USB 2.0, most of the devboards, hardware programmers and debuggers are connected through USB
- 4. Super key + type a few letter must search, preferably filenames too, but not file content (similar with Gnome search with SuperKey + type <--- How is this called?)
- 5. Must be able to install binaries, some devboards toolchains come as binary installers only

Nice to have:
- 6. KDE/Plasma
- 7. USB 3.0
- 8. Wine

I'm familiar with Linux (some years ago I even started to build a LFS, but I was sidetracked and never finished that project). Don't have yet a good understanding of Linux internals, that's why I am asking for advice regarding components.

I'm new to Gentoo. Chosen it for two reasons: to learn in detail how GNU/Linux works, and for the freedom of choices. Emerged a Gentoo for the first time last weekend, on a real disk (UEFI and GPT) but without ZFS on root, and with an empty KDE/Plasma. Then, spent the rest of the time reading docs, forums, wikis and parsing the first 5 chapters from the book Linux Sea by Sven Vermeulen.

So far, I guess I'll need genkernel, OpenRC, eudev, alsa, KDE/Plasma. Are these a good/correct choice? What else will I need? Should I go with Gentoo, or just give up, and stay with an Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Fedora, etc.?

Any other advice will be appreciated.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Should I go with Gentoo, or just give up, and stay with an Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Fedora, etc.?
It depends.
You'd be best thinking of your personal Gentoo installation as your baby. You have to take good care of it until it matures, but it's very rewarding if you put in the effort.
Do you want to put in the effort?
Yes: go ahead with Gentoo
No: stick with Ubuntu (though it comes with SystemD and there is no way around it)

There are very few things you can do with one linux distribution that you can't do with others, though "easy" distributions take way more effort when you're trying to leave the Path of a True Follower and do something funny with them compared to "flexible" distributions designed around the desire to tinker with your stuff.
You should be able to do everything you listed there, regardless of the distribution you choose.
Don't overthink it, just get going and ask questions when you hit some roadblocks.

As a side note, if you only need ZFS for rolling back your screw-ups, you may also consider any "standard" filesystem on top of LVM.
Yes, some people are using ZFS on linux, but there is some political controversy around it which probably won't affect you, but I don't like taking risks I don't expect to benefit from.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoGeorge,

Pretty much what szatox said.

Gentoo isn't a distro. Its a set of tools you use to design and install your own distro.
Like LFS but with a package manager.
You get the flexibility to do your own thing and you keep the pieces when you break it.

If you require the underlying flexibility that Gentoo provides the trade off is learning to deal with the complexity that comes with it.
That's mostly a one time thing and you only need learn about the bits you need as you find you need them

Like szatox, I would use LVM for snapshots since I like a reliable filesystem. Snapshots are not a substitute for backups.
As for the applications, Gentoo is the ::gentoo ebuild repo and the portage package manager. Everything else is $UPSTREAM.

Quote:
- 5. Must be able to install binaries, some devboards toolchains come as binary installers only

Gentoo can do that but you will need to manage the dependencies yourself.
There are two things there. Libraries that are not installed at all because nothing else needs them, and libraries that were installed by Gentoo because your gentoo needs them but are at the wrong version for your binary.
The right thing to do is write/find an ebuild so portage can manage your binary too. There are lots of ebuilds not in the main ::gentoo repo that you can use.

What price flexibility?
If that's a price you are willing to pay, then Gentoo. If you dip a toe in the Gentoo water, don't be put off by the steep initial learning curve.
Once you have a basic GUI up and runnnig, you will have learned most oy the Gentoo controls you will need.

Come on in, the water is lovely :)

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
RoGeorge
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Post subject: Linux components for a home desktop used in DI Reply with quote

Thank you all, but you should've also warned me that Gentoo might be highly addictive! :D

@szatox
I didn't know LVM can have snapshots, too, and can rollback changes. For some reason, ZFS still seems more appealing to me. ZFS license doesn't bother me other than that that the Linux kernel doesn't include native ZFS support because of the license.

@NeddySeagoon
About the price for flexibility, what worries me the most is that I could do rookie mistakes with the settings, and end up with a system full of security holes.

---------------------------------

Last weekend I've looked for info about ZFS on root, and give it a try in a VirtualBox/Ubuntu18.10, but without following a certain wiki. It was a fail. :D

The most detailed pages I could find about configuring ZFS for a root install were from Ubuntu: https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/wiki/Ubuntu-18.04-Root-on-ZFS . Some ZFS setting are there only because they are required by SystemD, but the doc seems good. I'll ask about keeping those setting for OpenRC in another topic (e.g. acltype=posixacl because journald requires ACL). If there are other reference docs that I should read about Linux on ZFS root, please kindly point me to it.

Surprisingly, the size of the virtual disk has grown to about 40GB 8O . Also, it took way too many hours to make it practical to fool around with Gentoo emerging in a VM. I need to emerge on the real HW, but I don't want to stay without my main machine for days while experimenting with Gentoo.

Since there is a dedicated 160GB HDD for Gentoo experiments only, I can keep the current OS untouched. It should be possible to emerge Gentoo from a GUI terminal in the current OS (Ubuntu18.10), and only reboot to test the builds. Random search result: https://www.wikihow.com/Install-Gentoo-Linux-from-Ubuntu

I want to have the current cake and eat it, too, while learning to fast bake a new one! :D

Are there any fine details for why emerging Gentoo from another distro wouldn't work?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoGeorge,

You won't be running lots of services listening for incoming connections that you didn't even know were there on Gentoo.
Gentoo gives you to two things,
1) the packages you explicitly install
2) the packages needed to support the packages you explicitly install.

Conversely, if you have not installed it yet, you almost certainly don't have it installed.

That doesn't stop you setting up ssh to allow user guest to log in with password guest.
That's a very bad thing. :)

Nobody ever leaves Gentoo.
People wander away for a while but they always come back eventually.

-- edit --

Gentoo only needs a few tools to install. Any distro that provides the tools can be used.
Get a root shell. Do
Code:
mkdir /mnt/gentoo
and follow the yellow brick road ... err ...handbook.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: