View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: PBM: Xfce 14 settings window can't shrink while resized Reply with quote

Hi all.

I've just finished my long due upgrade and I've noticed one strange thing with Xfce 14 and its general settings window: when I resize it I can grow the window's width but then I just can't shrink it. Instead the mouse pointer flickers rapidly when hovering the window border. Its width can grow but not shrink. It in fact grows until all the icons are in one single line, just as if icons reordering no longer worked.

On the other hand when I select some particular settings (say Keyboard properties) I can then resize & shrink the settings window but it snaps back to the larger width as soon as I get back to "All settings".

It that a bug or is it just a problem on my machine?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave it a try and seeing the same behavior with the Settings Manager window (I have windows borders disabled but attempting to shrink horizontally doesn't work either). Haven't tried with 4.15
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionen wrote:
Gave it a try and seeing the same behavior with the Settings Manager window (I have windows borders disabled but attempting to shrink horizontally doesn't work either). Haven't tried with 4.15

I guess that's time for a bug report ;-) ...
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with xfce-base/xfce4-meta-4.14-r2.

If it really annoys you, remove all x11 and xfce related items from your world file, run depclean, clean out your /etc/portage .. use and other flags and /etc/x11. Then reboot, follow the Gentoo x11 and xfce wiki and install x11 and xfce.

Did above after trying to fix for 4 days a very annoying display problem
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5ace wrote:
I have no problem with xfce-base/xfce4-meta-4.14-r2
May still have an older version, apparently only xfce4-settings-4.14.2 is affected. Not that I use the meta package myself, I only use a very small subset of xfce4 and maybe this cause issues.

I almost never use the settings manager anymore myself (especially not the main window), so never noticed before this thread.

This seems more like xfce's bug than gentoo's though, if it was a major issue it may be worth patching/masking but for this eh :)
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5ace wrote:
If it really annoys you, remove all x11 and xfce related items from your world file, run depclean, clean out your /etc/portage .. use and other flags and /etc/x11. Then reboot, follow the Gentoo x11 and xfce wiki and install x11 and xfce.

No offence intended but this procedure contains vague hints — such as «clean out your /etc/portage .. use and other flags and /etc/x11» so we don't know what to clean or keep and how — which looks to me like trying to do large actions against a cause that is unknown all the way. This is not the way I would try to figure out what's wrong. So far there's an indication on a change in exo that might cause this issue so let's see (or try reverting it)...

Granted though: sometimes the problem goes all by itself after another upgrade but then that means the user (me, in that case) has lived with the issue until it naturally went away.
shrike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinzC,

Some years ago I found my xfce gui unusable following a @world update. It turned out that the newer xfce had issues with issues with the '~/home/user/.config/xfce' config files. (See Upgrading section, https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xfce/Guide#Upgrading)

I don't know if these 'old config' files are the cause and I am not suggesting their removal. Perhaps a less intrusive approach would be to create a new user and test.

Luck,

shrike
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: