Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Window Manager similar to ion / helps arrange windows?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jago25_98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: Window Manager similar to ion / helps arrange windows? Reply with quote

I really don't like having to take my hand of the keyboard onto the mouse to rearrange 3 windows into one big and 2 smaller for example.

Perhaps there's a Window Manager out there that tries to address this problem?

I've tried to improve the proble by:

- using desktops (Alt+Ctrl left/right to cycle)
- F12 = maximise
- F11 = tile windows vertically

but it's still not ideal.

Anyone else find this a problem? I know the maker of http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/ (ion) does but it takes a lot of work to use / set up.

- Something that links windows on the current desktop so that no desktop background ever shows would be ideal. I don't like the idea of blank desktop unused.
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For avoiding wasted screen space and keyboard control, ratpoison might be exactly what you want; it does take a bit of getting used to, but the concept likely will appeal to you -- "All windows are maximized and kept maximized to take full advantage of your precious screen real estate" (note that the screen can also be 'framed', so you can have several open windows visible at once; all this can be done with the keyboard). Add that to the features inspired by gnu screen, and you have what inspired the article, the Antidesktop (worth reading for a full introduction).

Besides that, you might be satisfied by a 'minimalist' window manager that has good keyboard control. For example, evilwm. It's not as different from a typical window manager as ratpoison is, but still vigorously minimalist. Good, nearly complete keyboard control, including the ability to move and maximize windows (vertically or full screen), and to switch among virtual desktops; the mouse is still needed occasionally, however, for resizing windows precisely (something you imply you want to do from the keyboard). If ratpoison is a bit much for you, it might be a good thing to try.

Other window managers, which can be made visually minimal, can also have keyboard control, including for resizing and moving windows. (That way you can get keyboard control and still keep a little bit of eye candy. :) ) For example, in my ~/.fluxbox/keys file, I have:

Code:
Control Left :NudgeLeft
Control Right :NudgeRight
Control Up :NudgeUp
Control Down :NudgeDown

Control Shift Left :HorizontalDecrement
Control Shift Right :HorizontalIncrement
Control Shift Up :VerticalIncrement
Control Shift Down :VerticalDecrement

With luck, this will give you some ideas, and maybe some things to try. I'll be interested to hear what you think in the end. I've been doing some touring of window managers recently, and for now I'm trying evilwm on my laptop (the latest version, though masked, is working fine), and experimenting with different fluxbox screen layouts on my desktop. Ratpoison hasn't been completely ruled out, though, particularly on the laptop.
jago25_98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently using IceWM with those key configs I mentions in my 1st post.

I'll try Ratpoision and the others though, and found a seporate keyboard driven menu that looks interesting too.

Something that links windows together could be interesting too, especially if it maintains the link while resizing but I'm pretty sure there's nothing like that out there.
ozonator
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jago25_98 wrote:
Something that links windows together could be interesting too, especially if it maintains the link while resizing but I'm pretty sure there's nothing like that out there.

By 'links windows together', what exactly do you mean? When I first read that, I thought you meant something like grouping windows with tabs (like pwm or fluxbox, which would persist when you resize). But then I thought you might mean 'keeps adjacent windows contiguous' when resizing or moving (analogous to the way the playlist and equalizer can 'grip' the main xmms window); for that, only a window manager with 'frames' (like ratpoison) might allow you to resize/move things the way you want.
jago25_98
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: contiguous i think Reply with quote

i think i mean contiguous but I'll find out when I try ratpoision.

in other words if you have 2 windows on screen and you enlarge one the other one shrinks and vice-versa.
SmackMyBishop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like Ion is exactly what you want. It's not too hard to use, either, just read the manpage.
taviso
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: contiguous i think Reply with quote

jago25_98 wrote:
i think i mean contiguous but I'll find out when I try ratpoision.

in other words if you have 2 windows on screen and you enlarge one the other one shrinks and vice-versa.

fvwm can do what you want, in fact, fvwm can do just about anything. Why people insist on using other window managers is a mystery to me :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: