unset variables listed by emerge --info | grep ^USE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slipsnip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: unset variables listed by emerge --info | grep ^USE Reply with quote

I have reached Base Installation and am partially confused about the USE variable. From the `emerge --info` I can see
Code:
wurst / # emerge --info | grep ^USE
USE="acl amd64 berkdb bzip2 cli crypt dri fortran gdbm iconv ipv6 libtirpc multilib ncurses nls nptl openmp pam pcre readline seccomp split-usr ssl systemd tcpd udev unicode xattr zlib" ABI_X86="64" ADA_TARGET="gnat_2018" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx mmxext sse sse2" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock greis isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="libinput keyboard mouse" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php7-2" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres10 postgres11" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_6" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_6" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby24 ruby25" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu fbdev intel nouveau radeon radeonsi vesa dummy v4l" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"

To me, it looks like several variables, not just USE but also LIBREOFFICE_* and PHP_TARGETS among others. It states that I can make changes to the USE variable or even gain control of it completely from within /etc/portage/make.conf but what about those other variables I mentioned, I know for a fact that I do not want OpenOffice, and I also know that I do not use PHP. How do I unset or remove those? I have an Nvidia graphics card and would like to customize VIDEO_CARDS also so that it does not include intel and possibly includes the proprietary Nvidia driver when I get to the stage of installing that. Is this all done in the same file? Are these just env variables that[/b][/code][/url] I could config in say .zshrc or .bashrc
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can control all those variables from /etc/portage/make.conf. If unassigned, Portage sets defaults that are usually helpful, although sometimes (as with VIDEO_CARDS) helpful is achieved by being overly thorough.

The flags for OpenOffice and PHP only matter if you install a package that respects those flags. Leaving them enabled has no effect if you don't use those packages.

You could set the variables in a shell init file, but you should not. Set them in /etc/portage/make.conf, because that is where everyone will expect them to be.
slipsnip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much @Hu this explains everything I need to know. I much appreciate the help with this. Given what you said about the flags for PHP and OpenOffice I will leave them be since your saying that those flags only matter if I install those packages. I can apreciate Gentoo being thorough and will respect putting any changes in /etc/portage/make.conf regarding the USE variable and any modifications to the flags.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: