View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnZoidberg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: X won't start Reply with quote

I just installed Gentoo and everything seems to be working okay now. I had X and Gnome working before, but for some reason, I can't start X as my user now. When I start up Gentoo and log in as my user, X begins to start up, I see the mouse pointer but it then just shuts down without giving me any errors in the console. However, it seems to run fine if I log in as root and startx, but for some reason whenever I su between users, the 'startx' command seems to vanish until I reboot. Is there any way to fix this?

Also, I wanted to get the pound (currency, not #) symbol working but the best I can do is get my uk key layout, but when I press the pound key there is no response. When I do this while X isn't up, I get a ú symbol, which isn't very handy. I've followed the guide and created an 02locale file in env.d with the line 'LC_CTYPE=en_UK' but I still don't seem to get a pound sign. How do I get this working?

Oh, and how would I go about getting X and GNOME to start up right away without having to startx? It may seem very simple, but every distro I've used up until now sets this up on install and I don't know how to do it manually.

Thanks!
guitou
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just uncomment some lines of /etc/rc.conf: displaymanager and xsession.
(And only root can launch X :wink: )
dave_euser
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: specifics... Reply with quote

first, comment out the lines in rc.conf with DISPLAYMANAGER="gdm", and set the "gdm" to whichever you will be using (xdm,kdm,gdm,etc). Also set the XSESSION variable (right at the bottom) as per the instruction comments just above it....

next, add the display manager (xdm,kdm,etc) to your default runlevel....
type:
rc-update add xdm default

note that this should be "xdm" regardless of whether you are using xdm, kdm or gdm.....that's what the variable you set in rc.conf is for....

hope that works....
JohnZoidberg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still doesn't seem to work.. Now it tries to start up X several times, and I get an error saying that it X couldn't start in a short time. It still starts up fine if I log in as root, though.
shanenin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it seems to run fine if I log in as root and startx, but for some reason whenever I su between users, the 'startx' command seems to vanish until I reboot. Is there any way to fix this?

the startx command is not in your path. you can fix that by using the su - command
$su -
$su - user_name
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: