Thinking about installing Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unix21311
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Thinking about installing Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi I am considering to install Gentoo but I have a couple of questions.

* Is it possible to configure Gentoo to use around 90 MB of RAM upon startup (including using a window manager) without any performance loss?
* How much performance gain do you get by using Gentoo over other typical distributions (such as Ubuntu etc)? Is it a huge difference or a small difference?
* Is it possible to replace OpenRC with Runit?
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about installing Gentoo Reply with quote

Wlecome to gentoo forum!

unix21311 wrote:
* Is it possible to configure Gentoo to use around 90 MB of RAM upon startup (including using a window manager) without any performance loss?

I don't know but 90Mb for compile package seems to me very little
unix21311 wrote:
* How much performance gain do you get by using Gentoo over other typical distributions (such as Ubuntu etc)? Is it a huge difference or a small difference?

I've never installed gentoo for performance, but for to have a chance to install a package the way I want it (use flags)
unix21311 wrote:

You can see related wiki page

Last edited by fedeliallalinea on Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
unix21311
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about installing Gentoo Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
Wlecome to gentoo forum!

unix21311 wrote:

I don't know but 90Mb for compile package seems to me very little
unix21311 wrote:

I've never installed gentoo for performance, but for to have a chance to install a package the way I want it ([urlhttps://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/USE_flag]use flags[/url])
unix21311 wrote:

You can see related wiki page

Thanks very much mate :)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90MB is doable with something like openbox or enlightenment. It'll take about 150 to run any useful programs on top, and a lot more for a web browser.
unix21311
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
90MB is doable with something like openbox or enlightenment. It'll take about 150 to run any useful programs on top, and a lot more for a web browser.

I know I just want to use around that much upon startup and try and eliminate all the unnecessary bloat.
paintchip
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can really only speak to the second point. Yes, Gentoo has a pretty noticeable performance advantage compared to distributions like Mint and Ubuntu. When I used an old (10 years old) laptop, this difference was significant, especially when I ran Openbox instead of XFCE. But even on my newer laptop, there is a noticeable difference between my Mint install and my Gentoo install. I even use full KDE on my Gentoo install. I don't think there is much of an advantage compared to other lightweight distributions, though. Arch was just as fast as Gentoo on my old machine, or close enough where the extra time it took to install Gentoo wouldn't have made it worth it for performance alone.

Obviously Gentoo being source based, super flexible, and the perfect tool for building a customized distro is its real strength. The performance is just an added bonus :D
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had around 90MB usage with -consolekit -elogind -pam -policykit -pulseaudio -systemd -udisks -upower and bspwm as a WM. The performance improvements are noticeable, but it comes from lightweight minimal software you are using, not from Gentoo itself as a distro. If you take compilation and package manager into account, then Gentoo is actually much slower to manage than something like Arch.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: