Help me manage my RAM!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegionOfHell
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Help me manage my RAM!! Reply with quote

I have an i7-7700HQ[8 threads] + 32 GB of RAM...

(1) I want to be able to use the computer while emerge is updating thew system...so I set -j=6 and I will need 12GB of RAM for -j=6

(3) I want to put "/var/tmp/portage" to tmpfs. I am planning to put size=19G in the fstab line...

(4) I will install the following: Xorg, qutebrowser, Qtile, vim, notepadqq .. etc

Is my setup correct ? or should I change something ?
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 24GB of RAM and -j11 of threads (12 total), and ~16GB for tmpfs (70% of RAM), never had an emerge failing on me (though I didn't try something like chromium). Try watching a video or doing your desired work when emerging with -j7, it should be totally fine, I think 6 is too conservative, your RAM is not going to be a problem.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first off that jobs flag isn't really going to be that important. It is rare that portage can build too many packages at once anyway, so -j=6 is fine. You probably will only see it use that option a few times.

Putting /var/tmp/portage in a tmp file is a good idea. 19G? Sure, why not. 9 or 10 would probably be sufficient but you have the ram so no harm in giving it more. Never ran into anything that complained other than icedtea. The foot print here is a lot less than you expect and you are just setting a maximum size here.

Then there is the real problem. What do you mean by use the computer? Are you watching "cat" videos or running a data analysis of the stock market to predict what to invest in? What is usable is going to change quite dramatically depending.

Your setup is perfectly fine. You shouldn't notice anything updating, but that depends on what you are actually doing. We used to build on computers with 62 MiB of ram. Those boxes could only handle one thing at a time. Not much has changed since then in the building department. The hardware has changed quite a bit. Basically, try it and see if it works for you since no one can tell what you consider usable.

Okay, now that I wrote all that I threw you a bone here. Chances are that portage will be just fine out of the box, but...

What you can do if you want a more responsive computer is specify how nice portage should be. As in, playing with the PORTAGE_NICENESS value. <waves hand>This is the parameter you are looking for</wave>

I'll leave research of this parameter and what it does as an exercise to the reader ;)

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LegionOfHell,

Quote:

(1) I want to be able to use the computer while emerge is updating thew system...so I set -j=6 and I will need 12GB of RAM for -j=6

(3) I want to put "/var/tmp/portage" to tmpfs. I am planning to put size=19G in the fstab line...

Those numbers are not fixed. When you are unlucky, a C++ build thread can want 2G RAM. To get six threads like that at the same time would be really unlucky.
You can push that a bit harder, with the thought that for a few troublesonme packages, MAKEOPTS can be reduced on a per package basis.

A 19G tmpfs size is a limit, not a permanent allocation. The RAM can and will be used for other things while tmpfs does not need it.
tmpfs can also be swapped out if needed.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I do, if emerging while running X is to drop the # of cpus by a couple (yeah, it takes slightly longer but the desktop is usable while emerging)
Spirch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my case i'm planning to fresh install in the next 2 weeks

ryzen 3900x and 32 gig of ram, having 24 threads and wanting to save my ssd mean using ram that might be useful while compiling

in my case, i wounder how much job should i limit, i should have gone with 64 gig of ram but price is way too high right now to get the extra 32 gig

should i limit job at 12 / 16 while allowing tmpfs to go up to 12-16 gig of ram?

what would you recommend?
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryzen 2700X (8 core) and 32G memory. Allocating 16G to /dev/shm and using -j16
No problem web surfing or reading e-mail while doing world updates.

Maybe gaming would be a problem. I don't game.

Probably could allocate more memory to /dev/shm but not using it all anyway.
My biggest builds are gcc and palemoon. palemoon requires 9G RAM.
IIRC both build in around 9 minutes with on-demand governor. I should switch to performance governor for builds. The temps hardly rise and speed keeps dropping back to 50%.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

For a fresh install there is no need to really worry about a limit. 32 Gig of ram is enough so your tmpfs will never fill up and as I said before portage is more or less self limiting due to the dependencies of packages. You should always use a tmpfs these days because 1) it saves the SSD 2) it speeds up the process 3) it automatically handles cleanup of failed builds when you reboot. The disadvantage is that it automatically cleans up failed builds on reboot.

I recommend you just go for it. You will know if your computer is biting off more than it can chew. Building packages really isn't nearly as taxing as it used to be. I used to do this with 62 MiB, that is MiB, of ram. If I can build X on that your box isn't going to have a problem with multiple builds at the same time. I could do normal text and web tasks with 512 MiB and a single build. With 16 GiB the only things I can't do well is video editing and minecraft, and I'm letting portage make full use of parallelism. With 32 GiB I don't really see much difference at all except that my tmpfs doesn't throw a fit about libreoffice or icedtea. I hope that trip down memory lane helps!

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Spirch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirch wrote:
in my case i'm planning to fresh install in the next 2 weeks

ryzen 3900x and 32 gig of ram, having 24 threads and wanting to save my ssd mean using ram that might be useful while compiling

in my case, i wounder how much job should i limit, i should have gone with 64 gig of ram but price is way too high right now to get the extra 32 gig

should i limit job at 12 / 16 while allowing tmpfs to go up to 12-16 gig of ram?

what would you recommend?

quick feedback, i did the emerge @world (with plasma-meta and kde-apps-meta) after setting up everything (right now I just need to finish the X config and cleanup the kernel config, it boot nicely in the system for now)

I did it with tmpfs, make opts -j24 and emerge default opts --job 4, official iso with docache

i'm glad I created swap space (small 8gig), it went into it a little bit, i was running top and I saw at least up to a little 30 megs being used.

i was worried when qtwebengine / qtwebkit and 2 others was being compiled at the same time but everything went fine.

i'm less worried now :-)
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spirch, how hot did it get?
Last time I tried something like that (not with a Ryzen), temps got up to 210F then the computer shutdown.
Spirch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Spirch, how hot did it get?
Last time I tried something like that (not with a Ryzen), temps got up to 210F then the computer shutdown.

i have a pretty good cooling solution(100% air), I was manually running sensors and when i had a load of ~70-80 I think I saw up to 75-78c
and it was pretty silent sound wise, my home AC was louder. room temperature was about 23-24c

one thing I saw is one CCD was hotter than the other by ~10c so i think my paste application on the cpu is not ok, i don't have extra on hand to redo it so.. for now that will do it

edit***

heatsink is noctua dh15s, dual fan installed, push-push
5 intake fan, 2 top, 2 front, 1 under
1 outtake fan, 1 back

all with a low speed curve in the bios, they start to kick in above 80c and max out at 90c
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: