View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H-Dragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: mac os X like toolbar??? Reply with quote

i would love a macosX-like tool´bar in gnome or enlightenment or fluxbox.

you know.... those little symbols becoming larger when you move your mouse over them?

any way...
if anyone knows how to do this: please respond!!!

thanks!!!
Stu L Tissimus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try out gDesklets and the starterbar desklet. Both are in Portage.

Just a note: PLEASE, STOP TRYING TO COPY THAT GODDAMN OPERATING SYSTEM! EVERY SINGLE THEME NOWADAYS IS ALL GELLY LOOKING AND BLUE AND WHITE AND ZOOMY AND AAAARRRRRGHHHHH
monotux
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how mine looks like -
[img:9d4772da16]http://cqr.nu/oscar/bilder/mac-bar.png[/img:9d4772da16]

Stu L Tissimus wrote:
Just a note: PLEASE, STOP TRYING TO COPY THAT GODDAMN OPERATING SYSTEM! EVERY SINGLE THEME NOWADAYS IS ALL GELLY LOOKING AND BLUE AND WHITE AND ZOOMY AND AAAARRRRRGHHHHH

(this is soooo off-topic)

You don't think there is a reason for all this mac os madness?
The people probably thinks it looks nice? :-P :-P :-)
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it looks great too, if it only worked nice.
infinii
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retribrute wrote:

Any chance you'd share with us what it is? I found a screenshot on openbox site that look ver similar but had no description of what it was.
[herb]
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu L Tissimus wrote:
Try out gDesklets and the starterbar desklet. Both are in Portage.

Haha, I agree. It seems like half of the stuff on KDE-look.org these days has "aqua", or "osx" is it somewhere. And ive seen at least 30 variations of the infamous OSX dock there.

I think OSX looks great, but I would feel a bit cheesy if my desktop imitated it.

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic. gDesklets are probably your best bet. And like Stu said, both are located in portage... it doesnt get any easier :)
H-Dragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

´well yeah.. it doesnt get any easier...
if only gdesklets worked!!! as i posted in another thread... it simply doesnt!

furthermore i am using enlightenment.. and recently unmerged gnome...
it was too slow.

any 3rd party ideas`?
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use KDE and you can do something along the lines of this. :P
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu L Tissimus wrote:

I agree. If Linux is about "doing it your own way", then why is it that everybody wants to do it Apple's way?

And, while I'm here, what the fsck is it with light desktops? Everything's grey or off-white -- it looks so damned institutional, so antiseptic. Shouldn't interfaces be dark, with bright colors reserved for elements that require the user's attention, like text or buttons underneath the pointer?
woodwizzle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind all the aqua style stuff it it wasn't all blue! I'm so sick and tired of blue desktops, and especially blue icons.
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodwizzle wrote:
I wouldn't mind all the aqua style stuff it it wasn't all blue! I'm so sick and tired of blue desktops, and especially blue icons.

I know a lady who'd agree with you; she keeps asking me to find a nice red desktop for her.
DDevil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu L Tissimus wrote:
STOP TRYING TO COPY THAT GODDAMN OPERATING SYSTEM! EVERY SINGLE THEME NOWADAYS IS ALL GELLY LOOKING AND BLUE AND WHITE AND ZOOMY AND AAAARRRRRGHHHHH

ROFLMAO :lol:

Well...actually you're right :roll:
monotux
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infinii wrote:
retribrute wrote:

Any chance you'd share with us what it is? I found a screenshot on openbox site that look ver similar but had no description of what it was.

I'm not sure any off us gave you an answer....

Code:
emerge gdesklets-core desklet-starterbar

NewBlackDak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If eveyone is so interested why doesn't someone write a window manager that mimics finder and the dock? It would be tough, but it seems liek people would like it. Does anyone remember mlvwm? Maybe someone could do a xlvwm.
UltraSparc5 440 - sparcy
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mac Os GUI is one of the most intuitive to use.
You find the applications right there where you have them, and easy to access.
Another thing is everything looks Great, its Clean, Stylish and looks perfect.
If thats what you call a boring, institutional, antiseptic desktop ....

I think that, the Black with light green chars ( movies like ) desktops are for someone thats watching too many matrix movies.
Iam not a vampire either, so Black / red desktops are also crossed off my list over what makes a clean, usefull desktop.

If you want the linux deskops to reach to the new users, you have to make some changes, make things more accessible, easy to use, look good, and functional ( and much more .. )
Not basing desktops like the matrix or vampirer deskops, like I like to call them.

So go ahead and flame me, i bet some years from now, you will prolly look back and see what i meant.
linux: #232767
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikaro wrote:
The Mac Os GUI is one of the most intuitive to use.
You find the applications right there where you have them, and easy to access. Another thing is everything looks Great, its Clean, Stylish and looks perfect. If thats what you call a boring, institutional, antiseptic desktop ...

Fair enough; we have different ideas on what works aesthetically. You think white is clean and stylish; I prefer black -- it'll always be fashionable. >^..^<

As far as Mac OS X's gui being intuitive; that statement begs the question, "intuitive for whom?" Is OS X good for people who aren't text-oriented or comfortable with computers? Probably. But what about people like me; who think in text more than they think in pictures? Personally, I'd rather pull down a menu and select apps from a list than point at an icon.

But it doesn't really matter. I can do my desktop my way, and you can do yours up the way you like it. Some people agree with me, and some with you. I won't flame; there's no need to do so.

ikaro wrote:
I think that, the Black with light green chars ( movies like ) desktops are for someone thats watching too many matrix movies. Iam not a vampire either, so Black / red desktops are also crossed off my list over what makes a clean, usefull desktop.

Heh. I'm no vampire myself; I'm just a long-haired metalhead. As for green text on black; it's been years since I saw Wargames. I prefer dark desktops over light because dark colors seem more sensuous to me. I'm the kind of guy who smiles at the sight of thick black hair spilling over the bare shoulders of a pale lady in a red evening gown.

ikaro wrote:
If you want the linux deskops to reach to the new users, you have to make some changes, make things more accessible, easy to use, look good, and functional ( and much more .. )

OK, here's where we really disagree: you want to change the world by persuading people to try Linux and helping to make it appeal to non-geeks. I, on the other hand, don't really care if other people choose Linux or not. Linux is my choice. If asked, I'll explain the reasons behind my choice and offer a Gentoo LiveCD to play with, but I'll make no further attempt to persuade somebody to try Linux.

Accessibility to others doesn't concern me in the least. I'm only interested in creating a system that works for me. Same for ease of use, good looks, functionality.

ikaro wrote:
Not basing desktops like the matrix or vampirer deskops, like I like to call them.

No Hollywood Vampires allowed, eh? Fair enough; the wannabee Lestats are kind of cheesy, but saying that all desktops should be light and based on icons makes as much sense as claiming that all music should be written in D Major for violin, electric guitar, and keyboard.

Focus on creating a harmonious environment as a whole for yourself.

ikaro wrote:
So go ahead and flame me, i bet some years from now, you will prolly look back and see what i meant.

No, I won't flame. Like I said; I don't agree with you, but I disagree because my tastes and purposes are different from yours.
semi-fly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, while I'll admit that the OSX UI has a beautiful, professional look and feel I don't fully aggree with the amount of overhead required to to run it. My old 500 felt very sluggish and unresponsive (even with GUI hax). I'd continually revert back to my Octane (now my gentoo box as well!) for heavy useage and multitasking stuff. OSX was great when browsing or just staring at the icons, but I'd probably invest in a high-end mac (dual somthing, at least) if I wanted to run that route again.
Promit
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OS X Dock = least functional taskbar-ish thing on earth. It doesn't do most of the things that the Gnome/KDE panels do, or for that matter even what Windows taskbar does. They wrote docklets, but then told everyone not to use them. What the hell was that?

Unfortunately, I have nothing helpful to contribute to this discussion.
yatesco
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait for slicker to be production ready. It looks excellent (for KDE)

BTW, have you checked out

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=116012

OK, OK, shameless plug! Sorry :)

yatesco.blogspot.com
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/colin.yates/
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we agree in some parts, thats allright, but dont get me wrong, i'm not a fanatic of icons and toys on the desktop.

I pretty much feel confortable with my fluxbox, and have no need to icons on the desktop or on menus, however the whole feel of the desktop gotta be harmonic, that is, the colors must work well together, the styles iam using be clean and without much color mixing.
So yes, I do tend to prefer a more withish / grey styles with soft colors.. "antiseptic and institutional" , but lets just call it a "more professional look"

It is indeed what for works for me, and this recipie works for alot more people than the "vampire desktops", belive me.
And this isnt meant for you, ive seen your openbox styles and they have nothing of vampirer on them.
But i guess you know what I mean.

When i say I would like such a "dock" in linux, its not because i want to copy mac, but because its something that works, and its usefull.
I guess Gkrellm, the xfce bar, and so on, are a living prove that such docks are indeed usefull without havintg much of "copy" over them.

if you then put some flashy icons on the dock, or some system monitoring application ( bandwitdh / cpu load / temperature ) its up to you. but the point is that it works and its no copying the mac.
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikaro wrote:
I pretty much feel confortable with my fluxbox, and have no need to icons on the desktop or on menus, however the whole feel of the desktop gotta be harmonic, that is, the colors must work well together, the styles i am using be clean and without much color mixing.

We agree on this point. When theming, it makes sense to pick a small palette, a small motif, and build around that. For example, I'm doing another variation of my "Preternatural" theme, this time inspired by Ayn Rand's description of Rearden Metal in Atlas Shrugged. Since Rand describes the alloy as having a greenish tint, I've been looking for a set of colors that edge towards light grey while possessing a greenish tint. I'll use those two shades of grey-green as highlights against shades of dark grey and black.

Since I've centered on one idea, I can create a harmonious whole.

ikaro wrote:
So yes, I do tend to prefer a more withish / grey styles with soft colors.. "antiseptic and institutional" , but lets just call it a "more professional look"

All right, and while your style could also be called "austere", I prefer a more luxurious look to my desktop. While white looks pure and professional and austere (like the marble pillars of a Greek temple), black has always meant luxury to me. Black leather, black lace, black silk, black stretch limousines (and big black Harley-Davidson motorcycles!) -- black to me is a color of luxury and sensuality.

I'm something of a romanticist, I must admit. 8)

ikaro wrote:
It is indeed what for works for me, and this recipie works for alot more people than the "vampire desktops", belive me. And this isnt meant for you, ive seen your openbox styles and they have nothing of vampirer on them. But i guess you know what I mean.

I assumed that we were both speaking in general terms. Besides, I suspect that you would have come right out and said that my themes were crap if you though they had even a hint of vampirer in 'em.

Yes, I think I do understand what you mean. Could it be that you object more to themes that are garish for the sake of being garish than you do to themes that are simply dark?

Most of the Hollywood Vampires aping the glamorous devils in Anne Rice's pulp fiction seem to do it in order to shock "mundanes", and it seems that the Matrix-esque themes are created for a similar purpose: to look "cool" or to shock "mundanes".

ikaro wrote:
When i say I would like such a "dock" in linux, its not because i want to copy mac, but because its something that works, and its usefull. I guess Gkrellm, the xfce bar, and so on, are a living prove that such docks are indeed usefull without havintg much of "copy" over them.

if you then put some flashy icons on the dock, or some system monitoring application ( bandwitdh / cpu load / temperature ) its up to you. but the point is that it works and its no copying the mac.

Yes, GKrellM does prove that "dock-type" apps have their uses. I use it myself, with a transparent theme. I'm with you on this point too: use something because it works and contributes to the overall harmony of the interface. Nothing else matters.
H-Dragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez...
it wasn't my intention to start off a flame war...

i love the way osx looks clean and effective... yet it is imperfect.
no pager, no ...linux....ish things...

so linux looking a little like osx with a touch of enlightenment-flair and other stuff.... is perfect yet stylish.

i love how lurid has his desktop... but i hate bloated kde...
so anything for *boxes? enlightenment? (last preferred)

=)

btw, i am very happy to see so many people take part in my tragedy... ;)

thanks!
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H-Dragon wrote:
i love how lurid has his desktop... but i hate bloated kde... so anything for *boxes? enlightenment? (last preferred)

I'm using gDesklets under Openbox 3, and I'm willing to bet that you could use it under Enlightenment as well.
ikaro
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive tried Gdesklets on fluxbox, it works, but gdesklets are too buggy and it depends on a lot of gnome things ...
so i removed it and all its dependencies.
lurid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, gDesklets will work on anything as long as you have GTK installed. Its a shame that Karamba is limited to KDE. Its also a shame that gDesklets doesn't even com close to Karamba. In any case, while KDE might be slightly bloated, its also the best eviroment if you want eye candy, which all this OS X stuff is. The new version of the Baghira theme/style is an OS X theme (based on Mosfet Liquid). Its very complete, it even has a control center menu to mess with the options. Recently animated scroll bars and animated progress bars were added. Its total eye candy, but its looks so nice.. and this kind of eye candy is no distracting, nor does it take away from productivity.

Probably the best thing about the style is that you're not locked into one color scheme like in GTK. With this theme, you can specifiy whatever colors you want so you're not stuck with everything being blue.

Some shots of what you can do with Baghira
Theme
Konqueror

That Window border I made myself. ;) I need to space the buttons on it out a little more, but its good enough for now. As you can see I prefer a grey-ish tint to everything. I enjoy the look of OS X, but changing the color scheme from the bright blue to something that fits your style can go a long way. There are certain design elements that all OS's seem to use now, but it took one person/company to do it first. Just because someone else did it first doesn't mean that its not a valid design to use. Take the start menu for example. Spacial file managers. The list goes on. Its not just that we're copying the Mac, its that a design was invented that now seems to be becoming standard for OS's, even if Apple were the first ones to do it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: