View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opasch
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your reply. It worked!
Now my next question is:
I got ntfsmount to do the job on my external USB drive with ntfs partition. Can I now mount this partition with normal user permission? It would be perfect if I could allow Gnome Volume Manager to do that for me as it is actually doing for my USB-pen drive which works very smoothly. How can I instruct GVM to mount a device with a specific different mount command (ntfsmount in this case) and do that for any normal user (kinda su-do it, I guess). If rw support is not feasible for normal user it would be enough for me to mount this device ro to the normal users but still I'd get advantage of the flexibility of having my external ntfs drive box mounted one click away. At the moment GVM is able to mount my USB ntfs drive using the kernel ntfs support which I enabled but it's kinda useless because it needs root permissions even to read it (although I can mount it without being root).
martindv
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have seen this?

Code:
Gentoo / # mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows/
Captive NTFS v1.1.5.  Check a new version at: http://www.jankratochvil.net/
Gentoo / # cd /mnt/windows
Gentoo windows # ls
ls: .: Transport endpoint is not connected
Gentoo windows #

i got my captive through
Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge captive

then i copied ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe to /var/lib/captive/

also even when i have all needed files to /var/lib/captive when i do captive-install-acquire it shows:
Code:

Gentoo mnt # captive-install-acquire
Found best available "ext2fsd.sys": ext2 Filesystem v0.10a by http://sys.xiloo.com Checked Build English
at URI: file:///var/lib/captive/ext2fsd.sys

Still needed essential module: ntoskrnl.exe
Still needed essential module: ntfs.sys

Quickly scan your local disks to find needed drivers?
Enter 'y' for YES, 'n' to NO [hit ENTER for YES]:
Searching... Hit ENTER to abort.

Found best available "ext2fsd.sys": ext2 Filesystem v0.10a by http://sys.xiloo.com Checked Build English
Still needed essential module: ntoskrnl.exe
Still needed essential module: ntfs.sys

Detection of language localized MS-Windows drivers is missing. You may need to copy localized ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe to /var/lib/captive/ by cp(1) command; contact me for their proper identification, please.
Fully scan all directories of your local disks?
Enter 'y' for YES, 'n' to NO [hit ENTER for YES]:
Searching... Hit ENTER to abort.
Killed
Gentoo mnt #

so i dont know what is happening.

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ @2.08Ghz
Asus A7V8NX-E-Deluxe
Nvidia Nforce2 chipset
1GB Ram
ASUS GeForce N6600 256MB RAM
2 IDE HDDS @Primary/Secondary Master
1 120GB HDD @Sata Channel #0
martindv
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now working.. thank you.

The problem was that ntfs.sys was a file from winXPsp2 i got a sp1 ntfs.sys and it became working.

:D

Bye

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ @2.08Ghz
Asus A7V8NX-E-Deluxe
Nvidia Nforce2 chipset
1GB Ram
ASUS GeForce N6600 256MB RAM
2 IDE HDDS @Primary/Secondary Master
1 120GB HDD @Sata Channel #0
SpineBuster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I tried the current CVS version of ntfsprogs. It look very promising, you can create dirs and copy files (write access), sometimes you get a "function not supported". It should'nt take that long till we have full write support.
I'm not a good C programmer otherwise I would help these guys...

Greetz,
Mattes
SpineBuster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"ntfsprogs 1.12.0 released
The next release ntfsprogs release is here! This has lots of enhancements and bug fixes. Notably, the FUSE module ntfsmount, now has limited support for deleting/creating files and directories as well as hardlinks."
SpineBuster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ntfsprogs 1.12.1 released.
It's now in the portage, so feel free to test ist. (Don't forget the USE="fuse")
Lucractius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sit and spend most of a day trying to decide on what method to take with NTFS access on my box, and i wind up with only one conclusion. that the kernel ntfs support is useless, thank god i made that a module not compiled in lol.

Im left still wondering just whats going on with ntfs-mount through FUSE, and captive using FUSE. Im aware of the fact NTFS carries a hge YMMV warning on all things, at least to me it does, and its making the decision harder.

I have 160 gig of NTFS files, a 40gig and a 120gig disk, both full, no room to make temporary swapover things and slowly resze away the NTFS, im loaded, It took a week to squeeze clean the 40 gig my Gentoo (and probably Gentoo-FreeBSD will share this too) resides on. I need reliable NTFS.

Reliable here means that its not gonna break my files. Im worried enough by the 120 gig ntfs as it is... i think the partition is getting flaky, or mabey the usb connection just inst totaly clean, either way. I dont have any way to avoid direct NTFS access. Surely someone(s) could shed light on the key points here?

a table wold be good :P

Captive | ntfs-mount
y/n (or other as appropriate)

1 - accurate read only ( if my 120 keeps acting up i want a way to get the damn files off safe without any further risk to the filesystem)
2 - write support ( generaly )
3 - write support ( safe )
4 - write support ( equivalent to windows ) {im guesing captive is the only contender here, but even it may not be able to, thats why im asking }
5 - stability ( how stable are the implementations, few crashes, issues with non disk reading side of the software? )
6 - performance ( i guess no one realy has accurate i/o benchmarks for this, so ill settle for any real concrete info regarding preformance issues, in an objective context, no "ntfs-mount is better than captive and i dont need to validate my opinion " responses please :) )

The migration path from Windows Xp pro on my box to Linux & BSD is gonna be a long one, Im low on the $ or else id just shell out for a new disk or if i felt perverse, that paragon ntfs for linux driver. But i dont, so i cant take the easy or safe way, i have to settle for carefuly taking the hard way. besides the hard way is funner :P i wouldnt be using gnetoo if i didnt like to go against the grain lol

But essentialy i need to start getting app compatibility with my files on the 160 gig of NTFS partitions, things like Games and Apps under wine, whose files are stored on the ntfs partitions and the ability to slowly reduce my use of the NTFS partitions as i transition files away either in small backups, or clearing out dupes, or just deciding i dont want the files, but id like to be doing that in linux rahter than spending 10 minutes rebooting and loading up windows to do anything with them. :(
kadajawi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captive is slooooooooooooooooooooow. Like, 200 kb/s. It seems to put all data into your RAM. And doesn't delete it after that... which may be troublesome.
Lucractius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive seen worse before. but im trying to make an informed judgement on what to use, :) so if thers anything else you can say about them, answering the other points perhaps :) feel free.

Im sure others will also find the informaton useful when they wind up trying to decide themselves since im sure im not the only one.
kadajawi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... another thing I noticed with Captive... it seems to be unable to delete files, but it used to work, so I have no clue what happened. And ntfs-mount is supposed to have improved...

There seems to be some commercial solution, I think by Paragon. I suppose that one will work, if you can get it running (I couldn't with the demo).
Lucractius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realy the most important pecie of info is how safe it is to use them, Risk of catastrophic damage occuring to my files using each of them... theres no real clear definition of the coparitive dangers
lousyd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Kernel 2.6.15 NTFS-write Reply with quote

According to kernelnewbies.org, kernel 2.6.15 will have support for NTFS-write built in.

http://wiki.kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hm... another thing I noticed with Captive... it seems to be unable to delete files

I can get it to delete files. You have to make sure that you do only a few files at a time. I think the problem here is that captive crashes frequently (automatically restarts) and any data in cache when a crash happens is thrown away.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
MickKi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have emerged captive and all its (gnome) dependencies, but when I ran "# /usr/sbin/captive-install-acquire" just as the ebuild tells me to do - it can't find the path . . .
Code:
 # /usr/sbin/captive-install-acquire
bash: /usr/sbin/captive-install-acquire: No such file or directory
# captive-install-acquire
bash: captive-install-acquire: command not found

Searching for captive-install-acquire does not reveal anything on my machine . . . it's absent. 8O

I have re-emerged it twice but no luck so far. Any ideas?
Kow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

NTFS write support: NTFS finally implements write support so "vim /ntfs/foo.txt" works. You can write(2) to a file even beyond the end of the existing file. Resident non-resident files and are supported. Sparse files can also be written and holes will be filed appropriately. truncate(2), ftruncate(2) and open(2) with O_TRUNC flag also works. There're some limitations with heavily fragmented files which you won't be allowed to change. Also, notice that creation/deletion of files and directories is still not supported and mmap(2) based writes is still not complete (commit)

IE: NTFS native write support in kernel still very limited. Only added support really is able to overwrite files even if the filesize does not match. So basically in the last 3 years 1 thing was done: You can now overwrite files that do not match size. I think FUSE or Captive NTFS are the best options at this point for full write support and Captive is probably the most safe... for those who want write support. Of course read support can never damage a drive, so if that is all you want then by far the best option is the NTFS native driver in the kernel.
ewtrowbr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captive is AWESOME. Now I can have a USBdrive that can easily travel between my work XP machine and home Linux environment.

fat32 was not an option, because XP kept trying to reformat it. A windows guru maybe could have overcome this. I couldn't.

EXT3 was not an option because ext2ifs does not provide write support.

Kernel ntfs write support is great, if all I want to do is overwrite existing files without changing the file length. (lol)

Captive NTFS was a snap to get running. It is very pokey, but meets all my functional requirements.

I highly recomend this package for ntfs write support.

erich
DerRalf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewtrowbr wrote:

EXT3 was not an option because ext2ifs does not provide write support.

This may be slightly off-topic, but have you tried ext2 IFS (this is different from ext2ifs, a little confusing). You can get it at http://www.fs-driver.org. This is how I access my ext3 partitions from Windows. Works perfectly. I even use TrueCrypt encrypted partitions, which I can access from Linux and Windows.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: