Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Elleni / asturm
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User: asturm
Topic: Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 3)
Reason: Arrogance

Its not the first time, I feel disgusted about the attitude of this user. No matter how much gentoo benefits from his work, I would appreciate if he could temper his words a bit. It's not the tone I am used to see in this community... - Thanks.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
Its not the first time, I feel disgusted about the attitude of this user. No matter how much gentoo benefits from his work, I would appreciate if he could temper his words a bit. It's not the tone I am used to see in this community... - Thanks.

We are dealing with a bug report caused by this user's overlay, that, mind you, was *not* closed outright but instead seeking more information at first. Since there was no reason given by them, I have to conclude they are inflicting old openrc versions on their users for indeed no good reason.

You can feel disgusted all you want, but don't pretend it is caused by anything else than seeing your pet project being criticised.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'est le ton qui fait la musique.. Whatever you are dealing with, you often enough show an immature and rude language, which of course I can, did and again will ignore. But I felt the need to express it once. As long as you remain the one exception here that proves the rule, everything is okay.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
We are dealing with a bug report caused by this user's overlay, that, mind you, was *not* closed outright but instead seeking more information at first. Since there was no reason given by them, I have to conclude they are inflicting old openrc versions on their users for indeed no good reason.

What a strange view asturm, because for me, you are dealing with a bug in an ebuild that is affecting a user's overlay, the fact the user report it because it affect his overlay has nothing to do with the fact the ebuild is bug.

I could also question why the ebuild is telling lie to user (elog "instead it is using \"modules-load\" services provided by OpenRC or systemd."
) because obvsiouly, lm_sensors doesn't need at all the modules.d directory like the ebuild say, it's just it doesn't load module itself anymore, and it's upto user to load them so.
And to load a module, the user could do it with modprobe, or use module.d or use modprobe.d for openrc users, or even for many of them, it will be eudev/systemd/udev that will load them.

because if you look at it, the real issue is that someone has put an openrc dependency in an ebuild that has no use of openrc ; and by doing so, the ebuild is indeed bug like the user report, but even more buggy than even what user has saw.
ulenrich
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
User: asturm
Topic: Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 3)
Reason: Arrogance

Was this post the correct one as an example for asturm having a tone to temper?
Quote:
After all this bug is caused by your overzealous forkery
Ok, perhaps asturm falsely accuses forkery ... but what is to temper here?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulenrich wrote:
Quote:
After all this bug is caused by your overzealous forkery
Ok, perhaps asturm falsely accuses forkery ... but what is to temper here?

The fact of overzealous forkery is evident for anyone taking only a few seconds just scimming over the pinned forum thread and the usual problems raised by the users.

It is unclear to me why that issue is still 'pending' in this thread.

Probably because it was on page 1 and we were recently up to 3. The original report didn't include specifics and it was not obvious to me what the complaint was directed at, so I left it to see if others made sense of it. I'm guessing others may have had similar experiences before it was "lost" to time. I've split off the related posts and will circle back to add this one later this week. --pjp, 2020.06.29
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: