[SOLVED] Graphics problem: install on AMD Radeon 5600 XT
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
csteeves
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Graphics problem: install on AMD Radeon 5600 XT Reply with quote

Hello,

I am installing Gentoo on a new box with Gigabyte Aorus X570 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 CPU and Sapphire Radeon 5600 XT video card. I boot the system with the current SystemRescueCD kernel from a memory stick and everything works as expected - specifically the video card produces the anticipated text console. After going through the Handbook, installing everything, compiling the kernel and configuring GRUB, I restart the system. GRUB appears to work and offers the correct kernel to load. The message "Loading Linux 5.4.38" appears for a few seconds and then the screen goes black, with nothing ever reappearing. It seems the kernel is booting, as I can type root and the root password, and then shutdown -h now and the computer shuts down. I have tried the instructions for AMDGPU from the Gentoo Wiki, as well as every variant of basic VGA graphics that I can think of in the kernel, but I do not get any different results.

When the SystemRescueCD boots, it selects the amdgpu kernel module - see the lspci output below. I attach the kernel config from the new kernel as a separate paste. By now I have tried so many different combinations of kernel options that it is probably completely borked. For obvious reasons, I am having a hard time getting the dmesg output from the new box and the new kernel. I would ssh into the new box, but for stupid technical reasons - only one cat5 cable - I cannot right now.

kernel config

https://pastebin.com/fNc85KWp

output of lspci (from SystemRescue kernel)

https://pastebin.com/PfmACmKf

Any suggestions would be enormously appreciated.

Craig

Last edited by csteeves on Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
nick_gentoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be the issue described in several topics, like this one.
The framebuffer options in the kernel config need to be set appropriately.
csteeves
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the suggestion. The experience of the originator of that thread certainly seems similar to my own, and I was optimistic that would at least get me to a working console. Indeed, FB_SIMPLE was set to N. Unfortunately, changing it to Y led to no change to the symptoms. At present I have FB_SIMPLE, FB_VESA and FB_EFI set to Y, and DRM_AMDGPU is set to M. Maybe these conflict? I am trying various combinations.

Craig
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csteeves,

Can you ssh into the new box and get its dmesg?

What about dumping it to a file blind, before you log out?
Code:
dmesg > /dmesg.txt
then posting from your boot media?

That mix of frambebuffers will be fine.
Have you emerged linux-firmware to install the firmware that amdgpu requires?

Ahhh ...
Code:
# CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE is not set

Try turning that on

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
csteeves
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Radeon 5600 kernel driver failing at boot Reply with quote

Thank you NeddySeagoon!

Code:
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE

was indeed the culprit. Although now that I have a working console, lspci shows that the amdgpu module is loaded and is the driver for the video card. So it had to go through the framebuffer console stage to get to the amdgpu stage? Or does amdgpu depend upon the framebuffer console setting? I don’t understand this, but it works.

Once again, I am very grateful for your help. Every three or four years I run into a problem that you solve, and you constantly make a huge contribution to the Gentoo community. Thank you again.

Craig
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: