View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
poe_1957
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Snappy/qtwebengine Crashes amdgpu/kernel [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I found out that my Ryzen 9 system crashes due to app-arch/snappy
Code:
emerge -pv --depclean snappy

Calculating dependencies... done!
  app-arch/snappy-1.1.8 pulled in by:
    dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.14.2 requires app-arch/snappy:=, app-arch/snappy:0/1=

>>> No packages selected for removal by depclean
Packages installed:   1842
Packages in world:    301
Packages in system:   43
Required packages:    1842
Number to remove:     0

I wanted it to remove but it seems qtwebengine depends on it.
Is it possible to review why snappy crashes the amdgpu (conflict ?). This lies outside my expertise, but maybe someone else can solve it.

Thanks a lot specially to Neddy seagoon who pointed me that it could not be a kernel issue but something else. So by this I have found it. But I hesitate to remove it because of qtwebengine.
Someone else reported that when he removed snappy the crashes were gone. But probably he did not use kde.

I would love to see my kernel without any crash. ;-)

Last edited by poe_1957 on Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
poe_1957
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: SNAPPY 1.1.8 & QTWEBENGINE problem : crashing the kernel Reply with quote

app-arch/snappy 1.1.8

I tested this with AMD RYZEN 3900X (and ASROCK Phantom Gaming X and 5700XT) and Lenovo T530 (i915) with a core i5 both with kernel 5.4.48 and the lenovo also with 4.19.113 and in all the cases the computers crashed. On the lenovo it was a deadly crash and non-recoverable, on the Ryzen he could recover thanks to the 10 other kernels i think.
For me is such behavior not tolerable..
Once I removed app-arch/snappy on both machines the problem was gone. The kernel alone did not show anymore any sign of a crash on both machines. during more than 48 hours. As soon as snappy was reinstalled the crashes began instantly.

Please mark app-arch/snappy as UNSTABLE. And if qtwebengine needs compressing/uncompressing give us an alternative.
An example of the crash info you find in my other posts. (the kernelcrashes i previous thought)

Thanks.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, snappy is not used in building the kernel. If it is used, and it causes the kernel to be unstable, then you should file a defect report and link to it here.

If you mean that merely having snappy installed on a system is causing the kernel to panic, then you have deeper problems. If your hardware is in good order and your kernel has no relevant bugs, then snappy simply cannot crash the kernel, by definition. If you are getting a crash then either you have a hardware problem or a kernel bug. If you suspect a kernel bug, then you should try to isolate the triggering condition, and report it.
poe_1957
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is used in a desktop environment and a dependency for QTWEBENGINE. KDE DESKTOP.
It is NOT in the kernel but it causes crashes to the kernel as an application. You need it for the KDE desktop when QTWebengine is used (that is for a lot of applications).
It is not a kernel bug because the kernel does perfectly its job without snappy. Also KDE is working as long it does not need snappy with qtwebengine.
Either is there a dependency (compression algoritme ??? perhaps but it does not say what is needed it just crashes and cause a kernel panic. so the package is flawed in my opinion. It should at least say hey i need '......' to operate, but it compiles without a problem.)
I don't understand why such a package is needed from google.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, absent a kernel bug or hardware defect, snappy cannot crash the kernel. This is by definition, because the kernel enjoys a privileged place where properly configured hardware will provide the kernel absolute protection against snappy causing any such problems. If snappy can crash the kernel, then either the hardware is not operating as specified or the kernel is not using the hardware properly. No user program, no matter how badly written or actively malicious, can induce a kernel panic without either a hardware defect or a kernel bug. If you are getting a kernel panic, then you need to look at how snappy is triggering it, reduce that to the minimum set of steps that triggers the panic, and report that as a kernel problem.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need to YELL at VOLUNTEERS, thanks.
poe_1957
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at Hu ;
I doubt it is an hardware problem when it is on 2 totally different types of hardware and identic behaviour.
I can only determine it is a problem with snappy.
For more detailed info I need more instruction how to determine what in snappy triggers it. I can only give the dump the kernel does.
What is going on inside snappy, which instruction it does I do not know.
I am already happy I could pinpoint the app. who causes the kernel to dump.
And if anybody can reproduce the problem on his or her machine.

at Ant. P.
I do not yell, it is only for clarity. otherwise it is sooo dull. too read.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that hardware seems unlikely, but it is a possibility, and I felt obligated to mention it. I don't know how to determine what in snappy triggers it, because I have never used snappy, nor experienced this crash. What do you do with snappy that causes the kernel to crash?
poe_1957
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well snappy is a dependency for QTWEBENGINE. I did not install it myself it came with the QTWEBENGINE that is needed for KDE.
I do not use snappy for anything. I think it is 'calling his mother at google' but I am not sure. Anyway before I upgrade KDE I jhad no problem with qtwebengine. I doubt it used snappy before.
In the packages of Gentoo I saw
Code:
Search Results for snappy
app-arch/snappy
A high-speed compression/decompression library by Google
dev-python/snappy
Python library for the snappy compression library from Google
dev-java/snappy
Snappy compressor/decompressor for Java
media-video/snappy
A simple media player written using GStreamer and Clutter
dev-go/go-snappy
The Snappy compression format in the Go programming language.

And none are installed on my systems.
Code:
!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: app-arch/snappy-1.1.8
 *  - /usr/lib64/libsnappy.so.1
 *  - /usr/lib64/libsnappy.so.1.1.8
 *      used by /usr/lib64/libQt5WebEngineCore.so.5.14.2 (dev-qt/qtwebengine-5.14.2)

(now i tested it on a third one : same problem : HP250G)
I want to get rid of this program. But every time i do a world update it is installed again.(grrr...) even when i recompile qtwebengine.
I can only think about masking this package. It a compression/decompression package. So for me it seems not necessary that it is snappy but I could maybe use another package (zip, LZo,....)
So is there no one in Gentoo who knows this package? I saw Michał Górny as packagemaintainer but he has a lot of packages on his name so I do not know if he knows what the source code of this pacjkage does.
Perhaps Google.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

Moved 'Snappy -qtwebengine Crashes amdgpu' to Desktop Environments from Portage & Programming, and merged it with 'SNAPPY 1.1.8 & QTWEBENGINE problem : crashing the kernel' and the seven (7) replies to it. Also changed the title from 'Snappy -qtwebengine Crashes amdgpu' to 'Snappy/qtwebengine Crashes amdgpu/kernel'.

As for the issue, in what sort of situations does the crash happen, and what exactly /does/ happen? In your other topic, which I merged here, you mentioned AMDGPU, but in the latter you only talk about the kernel. Indeed, it might be helpful to share any related output you might be able to retrieve.

Please also share 'emerge --info' from the affected installs.

I have been using 'x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu' for a while now myself, and indeed, do have 'dev-qt/qtwebengine' installed as well, but have not had the problem you're describing here. I also have not seen anyone else talking about it yet, so this probably means there's something rather specific about your hardware and/or software set-up. It should at least be reproducible since you've managed to see it on more than one install/machine.

It probably won't change anything, but if you feel like testing and tinkering a bit, you could try not using system-snappy (also available via GitHub [1]):

Code:
--- a/qtwebengine-5.15.0.ebuild   2020-05-28 02:39:06.000000000 +0300
+++ b/qtwebengine-5.15.0.ebuild   2020-07-20 20:08:35.903365384 +0300
@@ -19,7 +19,6 @@
 REQUIRED_USE="designer? ( widgets )"

RDEPEND="
-   app-arch/snappy:=
    dev-libs/glib:2
    dev-libs/nspr
    dev-libs/nss
@@ -138,6 +137,7 @@
       -printing-and-pdf
       -system-opus
       -system-webp
+      -no-feature-webengine-system-snappy
       $(usex alsa '-alsa' '-no-alsa')
       $(usex bindist '-no-proprietary-codecs' '-proprietary-codecs')
       $(usex geolocation '-webengine-geolocation' '-no-webengine-geolocation')

This will make it so that the bundled copy will be used instead.

You may need to uninstall 'app-arch/snappy' first, or it may be linked against even if it's disabled (I did not test it too much). While this patch is for 5.15.0, it should apply on 5.14.2 as well.

I might suggest using 'ccache' since this may mean re-compiling qtwebengine a few times.

If any part of this seems uncomfortable, don't do it. :]

As a sidey-note, KDE does not require Qt WebEngine. That is not to say KDE is just one big thing, because it is not. It's more like a collection of applications that can largely be used independently. You might not even need Qt WebEngine if the only reason for you to have it is "KDE requires it".

Take a look at, for example, the output of 'emerge -pc qtwebengine'.

1. https://gist.github.com/Chiitoo/1dd5682df5906073a4827946b3da2cf9
poe_1957
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at chittoo

Thanks for the help.

Strangely enough since a few days ago with the sync and the update I did the crashes dissappeared magically in thin air. At first I could not believe it. But it seems now persistent. So this problem is solved.
Still I think there is something fishy about snappy that Google solved quietly. My system is quiet new, as well in hardware as in software, so I think snappy stubled upon some problem and caused the kernel crash. For me it seems it is using some loophole to sent data.
Because now my switch does not blink anymore so intensivly as before. It seems our lives are more monitored :cry:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: