Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
3D Printing slicer software, Cura, PrusaSlicer, etc.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nondescript
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: 3D Printing slicer software, Cura, PrusaSlicer, etc. Reply with quote

Hi, what are the best options for slicing software on Gentoo?

I see that Cura is in testing, I emerged that (4.6.1) and couldn't get it to function:
https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/media-gfx/cura

I also see that prusaslicer is only available in third-party repositories.

I see that AppImages are recommended but I don't like the idea of running these. Running it within a firejail sandbox seemed agreeable enough but that didn't work for me even with the --appimage option: "Error mounting appimage: appimage.c:122 appimage_set: No such device"

What options would you recommend? I love Gentoo but I'm still new. I've compiled software like Blender to acquire a newer version but I'm still not educated on the process of managing dependencies for software you compile yourself. Anyone have good reading material for that? Is there a way to compile unsupported software yourself such that all dependencies are self-contained within the executable and it won't affect the system? Is that essentially the process of creating your own AppImage?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

necroticly digging up this thread.

Cura works fine in Gentoo after 4.7 was finally "fixed", but I haven't updated it in a month.
Slic3r also works fine after unmasking likewise.

I've used both to generate gcode for quite a bit of projects but cura more than slic3r. Will need to try slic3r more, though it seems that cura has a one up on slic3r: cura appears to be better multithreaded and slices faster.

Unfortunately dependency h@*% is a problem no matter what, and there's nothing you can do but keep up with every single version really...sigh.

Else have to let the Gentoo devs deal with it...
haarp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: 3D Printing slicer software, Cura, PrusaSlicer, etc. Reply with quote

Another necro.

Prusa-Slicer, which I had previously maintained in my overlay, has since been added to the Gentoo overlay. It's a great slicer and well worth checking out, even on non-Prusa printers.

nondescript wrote:

I see that AppImages are recommended but I don't like the idea of running these. Running it within a firejail sandbox seemed agreeable enough but that didn't work for me even with the --appimage option: "Error mounting appimage: appimage.c:122 appimage_set: No such device"

I came upon this thread upon googling this error. I've since figured it out - it means your kernel wasn't compiled with squashfs support.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More necroing...

Seems that cura got EOLed due to its deps not keeping up with python and doesn't work properly with python 3.11 ...

This is problematic... have to retool to prusaslicer or something, been using Cura since I started using 3d printers... I did try slic3r a while ago and that didn't work very well... wonder how much effort it will take to get back up to stable 3d printing with prusaslicer...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: